emergency herniated bowel surgery

Brenda T.
on 4/26/12 9:42 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Oh wow, sorry you had to suffer like this. Feel better soon.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

katmer
on 4/26/12 9:47 am - Orangeville, Canada
 Sorry to hear of your health problems.  Here's to a speedy recovery!

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/12 10:00 am - Toronto, Canada
 Glad you got to emergency and they found out what the problem was.  Wishing you a speedy recovery!  thanks for posting about it so that we can all be more aware that this can happen post-op.
msheavyhearted
on 4/26/12 11:48 am - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
Oh, Karen. That really and truly sucks!! (Especially since you've been working so hard at finishing school and stuff.)

It's certainly not the best thing that could have happened but certainly not the worst, either. At least Dr. Raiche found it and fixed it before it turned into something worse! I wish you a very speedy and complete recovery.
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

AllaP
on 4/26/12 12:45 pm - Vaughan, Canada
 OMG Karen! I wish you speedy recovery,

Alla.

TBIYTC
on 4/26/12 1:53 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
I am so glad to hear that they have figured out what was going on, and fixed it!!!   Now you relax, heal, and get better!!!

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

PaulaToronto
on 4/26/12 1:59 pm - Toronto, Canada
Ouchie - best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Your hog will miss you.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Karen W.
on 4/26/12 10:17 pm - Canada
Thanks for the positive vibes, everyone.

This is one of the risks of any major abdominal surgery, but much more so for WLS than for other types of surgery.  Fat in the abdominal cavity disappears rapidly after WLS, leaving room for the bowels to move around when they really shouldn't.  With this room for movement, the bowel can loop around itself and herniate or strangulate.  It can be extremely dangerous, even potentially fatal; if the bowel strangulates and tears (a perforated bowel) the entire system can go septic.  I belive this is what happened to a member of this forum not too long ago (I'm not positive, and don't remember their name).

If you have any type of severe abdominal pain, GO TO EMERG!! Because I have educated myself about the risks of WLS, I was able to tell the triage nurse what I thought might be going on and how it was related to the WLS.  Calling in a bariatric surgeon from the beginning was critical to my getting the care I needed.

Feeling a bit better already today, but I'm sort of reeling at the thought of what may have happened.  Thanks again for all of your support!

RNY April 11, 2011       

350Ann180
on 4/26/12 10:25 pm - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
SOOOOO glad you caught it early and were strong enough to get them to take you seriously.  We need to look out for our own health and we alone are the best judges of that.

Good for you - rest, relax and all will be good.

Ann

Joyce J.
on 4/26/12 11:14 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

Good to see you posting, not so good about all you have been through.
I can understand how you feel about the new job, but this couldn't be helped

Take care of yourself. Follow Doctors orders and keep us updated

Feel better

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Most Active
Recent Topics