Start two weeks of OptiFast tomorrow

rdale66
on 4/10/17 7:20 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 04/25/17

Surgery is two weeks away and starting Optifast tomorrow. Hoping its not too stressful not having any food for two weeks.

I don't want to avoid family around meal times but am wondering how other people found this stage.

Randy

CarlRay
on 4/10/17 8:52 am
RNY on 02/28/17

You can do it. My surgeon for whatever reason, only gave me 1 week of Opti, but I just powered through it. By day 3 I was fine with the routine. I added extra water to the opti to create a feeling of fullness, and it also had the added bonus of boosting my water intake. The only ill effect was gas (and good lord I thought there was something dead in the house) and a bit of constipation. For some it's the opposite. Just keep the eye on the prize. The next month and a half will be really hard, but with each phase progression it gets better.

I didn't sit with my family at supper, just to distance myself from the food they were eating. I made sure to sit in the living room so I could still talk to them, hear about their day etc. It worked for me. By the end of the week it wasn't even an afterthought.

Keep it up. You've got this.

Remember, no matter where you go.......there you are.

rdale66
on 4/10/17 8:57 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 04/25/17

Thanks for the encouragement. I will definately try your suggestions. Power on through with my eyes on the prize.

CarlRay
on 4/10/17 9:14 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Right on.

Oh I forgot. I was told that a cup of chicken broth, sugar free popsicles/jello were allowed. I didn't bother with those but they were options to mix it up a little. I just slammed the opti and my water intake all week. I figured (correctly) that I'd be having enough broth in the coming weeks.

Good luck!

Remember, no matter where you go.......there you are.

Simplyb
on 4/10/17 10:23 am
RNY on 04/12/17

You can not avoid your family and food.

You do get two cups of vegetables(broccoli or cucumber) and water - I ate that with my family at the table. I did not want to miss the commraderie. I would have an Opti prior and that staved off the hunger - but I did salivate at the ribs, I cannot deny that.

good luck, - 1 day of Opti left for me - it was gone in a flash.

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

Mom2Chi
on 4/10/17 11:48 am

I took the opposite approach - at dinner time I would remove myself from the family to have a bubble bath, or do my nails, or watch Netflix in my room etc, and come out again once my husband cleaned it up. It worked well for me and it wasn't long after surgery that I was able to join them again for meals. I just didn't want the temptation and angst. It's only a couple of weeks and they all understood.

Good luck with the Opti. I hated every second of it but was able to get through and I'm sure you will as well.

HW 260 SW 239 CW 145
RNY JAN 9/2017 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 4/10/17 1:46 pm

Day one of opti will be the hardest but after that I was fine! Just keep remembering that u r doing this to change your life and to live a long life to be with your family! I was even able to still cook dinner for my family! I have 2 young children that still needed to eat and a husband that works hard all day so I wouldn't let him down by not cooking for him! Time will fly by and before u know it it will be your time for surgery! Best of luck you got this! Stay positive! Keep your eye on the prize!

Orientation Feb, 1,2016

Meet Dr.Bohjani Jan.18,2017- 286lbs

Started optifast Jan.26,2017

Surgery date Feb,13,2017- 268lbs

Kathy1212
on 4/10/17 1:50 pm

It will go by so quickly, and after the first few days you'll be used to it. I actually grew to enjoy my opti.

I sat with my family any time but meal time. We still connected and conversed, and nobody minded that I was keeping myself away from temptation. There's no rule that says the only time family's can connect is over meals :-).

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
Recent Topics