revision

Joe T.
on 2/18/16 9:11 am

am 12 years out and gained 70 lbs, can anyone give me 411 on revision, recovery time, weight loss etc.

acbbrown
on 2/18/16 1:52 pm - Granada Hills, CA

What kind of revision? Is there something physically wrong with your original surgery? Have you explored all options other than surgery for getting the regain off? 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

sheriberi29
on 2/19/16 10:09 am - Cleveland, TN

I'm sorry to hear about your weight gain. I know how much it can get you down and out. I am in the process of trying to get approval from my band to another metabolic surgery. What I can tell you is to call your insurance and ask them exactly what your insurance says about revising . Some people must jump throu ALL THE HOOPS AGAIN. My insurance simply requires medical proof of either a medical or surgical complication.  I'm not sure if you have any medical or surgical complications just by your post so that's the only advice I can lend. I also don't have a rny but wanted to offer you support and understanding and my opinion on the first step. 

littlerocknettie
on 2/19/16 11:26 am
Revision on 12/23/15

I had a revision from the old Vertical Banded Gastroplasty done in Oct. 1999 to a RNY on 12/23/15.  I am very happy I had this done.  I too had gained a bit back...like 50 pounds.  It was a fight to get the insurance to pay for a revision.  The weight loss is much slower with the revision, only about 3 pounds per week.  The recovery time was not bad...only missed 9 days of work.  My first surgery was an open surgery (where they cut you open) but they were able to do the revision laproscopically.

Good luck

kathiseattle
on 2/23/16 12:36 pm
Revision on 02/24/16

I'm scheduled for my revision surgery tomorrow, February 24th - going from the old-school Vertical Banded gastroplasty done in October, 2000 to the RYGB tomorrow.  I have regained a lot of my weight, which is so disappointing, but I've also developed a gastric fistula so I have to have an open surgery again.  I'm joining the forum to give and get encouragement from others and also to keep accountable. I'm encouraged to see that there are others who are doing this as well.  Surgery is at 7:30a, should be home by Friday - wish me luck!

RJC5197
on 3/1/16 1:09 pm - MI
RNY on 05/17/16

THX for sharing

I had Vertical band done openly in 1998 and now looking for revision. Lost & Gained 130 lbs back multiple times.

Not sure what direction Dr. is going to lead me to but I think I would like DS rather than RNY for max weight loss opportunity and reduction of Co-Morbidities. Either way, I am looking forward to get rid of the problems and weight gain from this bad all these years.

Did your Dr have any concerns with scar tissue or complications.

THX

kathiseattle
on 3/2/16 4:14 pm
Revision on 02/24/16

Thanks for your email - I'm at home recovering.  RNY seems to be the better option for maximum weight lost, my doctor said I should expect to lose 70% of my excess weight over the next 6 months.  I'm good with that.  As far as your questions - he used the same incision as the Dr. in 2000 and I'm healing well - I went in yesterday and the incision is closing nicely, no infection, no serious complications.  I thought I would be able to go back to work on Monday for a half day - I am such an idiot!  Of course not, and I had to cancel a business trip for next week as well.  I get my staples out on March 9th.  I'm cleared to return to work on March 14th and in the meantime, okay to work from home.  I fly out to Sydney on March 19th and I am okayed for that travel as well.  As long as I stay at home until the 14th was his condition.  Regarding complications...none but I do retain fluid as part of my natural way of processing all of the IV fluid and anesthesia.  Soooo, I walked into the OR at 223lbs, and I discharged two days later at 240lbs.  WTH?!!!  I swear, I'm the only person who goes in for gastric bypass and weighs more after the surgery than before!  The recovery is exactly as before, but I've also had 2 C-sections since my last surgery so I know better how to move around and not hurt myself. 

When are you scheduled for your revision?

Kathi

Holdenwhat
on 4/1/16 9:56 am

Honey, everyone goes home weighing more because you have so many fluids, etc. from surgery. Totally normal. I didn't weigh myself because I was so bloated I think I probably would have been up about 40 pounds!

karissaedwards2014
on 4/3/16 11:23 am

Who was your surgeon and when was your revision? 

tjsterch
on 3/17/16 4:42 pm
Revision on 04/18/16

Hi new to this site, very glad to see this post. I am about to under go gastric bypass (I do not know the abbreviations) I had a Vertical Banded Gastropasty in Nov 1991. I was informed during my initial talk with the NP that most revisions do not lose weight as well as the new surgeries (she did not have an answer why) I have been a slight bit disheartened, however I am still fully committed to having the revision. I too had open surgery, was hospitalized for 5 days. My understanding is this is much less invasive and if all goes well, I will be out in 2 days :) in my area (central California) I don't know of anyone else going through this procedure.

Most Active
Recent Topics