10 days till surgery and now I might have to get the lapband!

jennifer W.
on 8/19/11 12:23 pm
Ive been losing pretty well, so far 18lbs.  So no complaints there.  I was told today by my surgeon that if the colonoscopy I have to get done prior to surgery shows any inflammation he will not perform the RNY.   He did tell me he would do the lapband.  But the research Ive done doesn't really give me a whole lot of confidence.  Even when he said he would do that surgery he said it reluctantly like he thought the RNY or sleeve would be better.  Which I agree!  I'M so frustrated, sad, angry, etc. Then I get a call from the nurse saying one of my tests came back and I need to have another one.  It just seems like things keep complicating the surgery.  It makes me think that maybe I shouldn't have it. 
 HW: 365  SW: 342  CW: 182

Inch by Inch's Life's a Cinch, Yard by Yard, Life's Hard - Dr.
Madden
Lisa R.
on 8/19/11 12:29 pm - CA
Don't get the lap band.  I don't see why a doctor would give you the option to have lap band but not a sleeve or RNY.

I would ask him if whatever the problem is that is keeping him from doing the RNY or sleeve can be fixed and just fix that problem and get the right surgery.

I never had a lap band, but started my WL journey wanting that surgery.  Found out too many horror stories about people not losing and band issues.  Got the RNY and very happy with the results.  it is not a miracle fix, had to work out alot in my own head and still working on that, but I still think it was a better decision then the band.  

Can't the inflammation be cured?  I guess I am confused.   

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
acbbrown
on 8/19/11 12:40 pm - Granada Hills, CA
If you can't get the RNY, try and push for the sleeve. The band isn't worth the pain and misery it causes!  The stats are horrible and so are all the experiences iv'e heard.

If your insurance generally doesn't cover the sleeve, try and appeal based on a medical necessity. Don't get a surgery (ie the lap band) that you don't absolutely want and know you can live with.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Sharyn S.
on 8/19/11 1:24 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
How in the hell is the LapBand a better surgery choice if you have gastric inflammation???  That makes no damned sense.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

seattledeb
on 8/19/11 3:31 pm
YO!!
Would you even want this doctor operating on you?
Hope you are staying cool in Texas.

jennifer W.
on 8/19/11 1:43 pm
My insurance wont cover the sleeve at all.  It will cover the lapband or RNY.  I dont really understand why he will do the lapband and not the RNY for gastric inflammation.  IM crossing my fingers, toes, legs, arms and everything else that its all fine and I can have the RNY as planned.  My gastro dr even told the surgeon that the prior colonoscopy i had a year ago was very mild and he didnt think the surgery would cause any problems.  My gastro dr will go to bat for me if its still mild.  So im hoping with him on my side I can get this RNY as planned!
 HW: 365  SW: 342  CW: 182

Inch by Inch's Life's a Cinch, Yard by Yard, Life's Hard - Dr.
Madden
heatherambrosia
on 8/19/11 2:40 pm - GA
Good luck... I hope this is one of those worry now, laugh later type things like I do.

I work at an insurance agency and the other poster is correct; you can appeal their decision to not have the sleeve period, but we all know those carriers can be tough nuts to crack.

The hardest part is that WLS is still seen as elective generally and though it subsides or cures other problems that drive up medical costs, the carriers are reluctant to cover it at all and even then they are specific about the surgery.

Again, hoping you get good news!
SW 343, Current below, Goal 160 & to start a family!11978920
seattledeb
on 8/19/11 3:31 pm
Do not "settle" for the surgery you don't want. It's time to be a B****H!
You know that a lap band is a "success" if you lose 50% of your excess weight.  Will you be happy with that weight loss?
If your insurance will cover Rny..find a doctor to do it. There are plenty to chose from.
Deb T.

shirleyann
on 8/20/11 2:03 am - SC
Hi,
I haven't had surgery as of yet but I strongly agree with the other folks who have posted. Why settle for something you really do not want. I agree especially with Deb, find another doctor. It may be better for you anyway!!!! I pray all goes well for you!

Shirley Ann
walterswife
on 8/19/11 10:35 pm
What your surgeon is telling you makes no sense.  Do you know how many of these procedures he has performed?  What is is level of experience. It sounds to me as if he wants to experiment on you.

I have two suggestions....

1)  Under no cir****tances should you consider the lapband.

2)  I am sure he is not the only surgeon in your area.  I would suggest that you get a second opinion.  I am not sure I would want the current surgeon operating on me.

I am confident that things will work out for you.  It might just take a little more time for it to happen so please try to be patient with the process.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 9 replies · 43 views