Encouragement for newbies & who feel "stalled"

Kelly S.
on 2/7/12 11:47 pm - MA
Like everyone on this journey, I've seen the scale move downward at an exhilarating rate.  And then stop and hang out on the same number for weeks and weeks, despite my efforts.  Thanks to daily reading of this board and the ever-patient veterans who dispense advice and openly share their experiences, I knew that I wasn't going to see the numbers go down every day.  And in fact shouldn't be looking at the scale EVERY DAY (I still look, but I shouldn't).  

So, on to the purpose of this post - even when the scale isn't moving, you have to know that things are still happening.  I wish I'd thought to do measurements during the times when I had plateaued, but this will have to do ;)

Yesterday, I finally had time to take my measurement again.  I first took them on 5/17/11, the day before my surgery.  I took them again at the end of July and once more right around Thanksgiving.

Since my surgery, I have lost (not including 1/2 inch here and there for the little parts, like wrists and ankles) a total of 55 inches from my body.  This includes 13 (!!!) inches from my hips, 10+ from my waist, 9+ from my chest (which my husband is sad about, but let's be frank, I had it to spare!!!).  I could go on, but you get the point.

In 9 months, I have gone from 3X/size 22/24, to a medium/large top and a size 12 bottom.  I run now.  I freakin' RUN.  My kid can't keep up with me, rather than the other way around.  I finally got the haircut I've always wanted because I have a face that can carry it off (think Halle Berry short). I'm HAPPY.

I wanted to add this for those of you who worry that your RNY "didn't work" or was "ruined" by something you did. Or didn't do.  Or for those of you who haven't yet had your surgery and wonder if it will work for you. The answer is YES.  Use your tool.  Follow your surgeon's protocol.  Take your vitamins - DILIGENTLY.  Drink your fluids and then drink some more.  Take in your required protein and then a little more for good measure.  Exercise, move, shake your booty.  Do something.  And LIVE your life.  Your body will change.  Your attitude will change. Your life WILL change.

Stephanie M.
on 2/8/12 12:03 am - Los Angeles, CA
 Thank you for this! This is wonderful, and just what I needed!

As many are, I am in a stall. And hearing these encouraging words helps,

So thank you! 

Kelly S.
on 2/8/12 12:09 am - MA
You're so welcome!!  You can do this ;)  Patience is hard, but it's worth it...

volky64
on 2/8/12 12:50 am
What a great post!!  Thank you for your awesome words of encouragement!! 
kittehkitteh27
on 2/8/12 12:57 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
*LIKE*

~Kitteh~   Start 363 / Surgery 346 / Current 204.1 / Goal 150

NowIliveforaerobicsandnotfood
on 2/8/12 1:09 am
What an encouraging post!  I still have a way to go!  One week, I lose 7 pounds, another week nothing, and then one week 1 or 2 pounds. Can I ask how is your extra skin?  Will you have plastic surgery?

Kelly S.
on 2/8/12 1:21 am - MA
Honestly, it's not bad.  I'll be 40 this year, so I'm not super young...I have considerable extra on my upper arms, as they were quite large. When I reach down and bend over, they look like they belong on a 90 year old woman. But, I try not to do that ;)  I do find that wearing shirts that are snug helps alot and I'm not NEARLY as self-conscious about them as I was when I was heavier. 

My breasts are horrible (think of slllloooooowwwwwly letting the air out of a balloon) and the backs of my thighs/buttocks isn't pretty, but it could be worse. Overall, it's not bad.  I was big ALL OVER tho, I didn't really carry my weight all in one spot (top or bottom or middle).  I think everyone is going to have their own experience with skin based on starting weight, age, activity, skin elasticity, how quickly you lose and maybe most importantly what your attitude is toward your body and about the skin.

Mine is that this is still way better than being so heavy that I literally LUMBERED around thru my day. I'll take me in this body today over me 20 years ago when I was firmer but fat and unhappy.

As for plastics, yes, I'll probably have my breasts done.  They are just no fun anymore!!! LOL.

RobynJC
on 2/8/12 1:22 am
Thank you!!!  I'm currently struggling with a less-than-I'd-like weight loss.  I'm losing some (1.6 in Dec and 4.8 in Jan) but not nearly what I "feel" I should be given the dramatic lifestyle changes I have made. 

I'm a "good girl".... I go to the gym 4-6 times a week.  I do cardio and weights, the weights are done with a Personal Trainer to keep me motivated and challenged.    I am diligent about logging my food intake and I have a Body Media activity tracker that I wear every day to motivate me to him my step and calorie burn goals so I am fairly confident that I am doing everything I am supposed to do in order to loose weight.  But alas, the scale isn't my friend (and really, was it ever??) and the numbers just don't seem to add up for me.  If 3,500 calories equals 1 lb, I should be losing more than what I am because I am definately doing the work to hit the right deficents. 

Now, that said, I have achieved some non-scale victories like you have.  I'm in a size 14, which I haven't been in since 10th grade (at least!), I used to be in a 24 that was starting to get tight.  I have biceps that I can be proud of and I can feel the difference in my body.  It still amazes me to feel my muscles in my legs work they way they do when I am walking or going up stairs (which I used to HATE).  I'm able to do sprints on the treadmill, I can comfortably walk at a 4 mph pace w/o needing to stop because I can't breathe.  And of course there is the inches lost. 

So I do know that this is working.   I have to believe in that and in myself.  I'm making healthy habits that will last me a lifetime.  But, every now and then, especially days like today where the scale shows the EXACT same number as the last time I weighed in (my weigh ins are Wed and Sat) it really helps to read your post to help me keep the faith.  THANK YOU!! 

And good luck in your journey. 
christinalee
on 2/8/12 2:22 am - At Home in, NH
Robyn, it could have been me writing your post. I am weirdly obsessive about food tracking, I wear a BodyMedia armband and know exactly (well with a 10% variance Body Media self-reports) what my consumption and burns are. And, like you, the 3500 calorie = a pound is not totally on target for me either.

So this is what I consider. I do know my body is changing shape and I've got mucles in places that never sported one ounce of muscle before (thinking forearms and lower calves). So while the scale may not be playing by the rules of caloric energy expenditure theory, my body's size and shape and (yes) feel tells me a different story.

Eventually, it will all work out. I truly believe that. My metabolically more active cellular structure will allow me to eat better and eat healtier, my strength and muscle structure will keep me younger in my older age, and my power and virve will make me less prone to depression and succumb to other age-related complaints. Plus throw in the added benefit of wearing clothes well, that look right, that fit at sizes other people who weigh similar can't -- it's become like a karmic adventure.

While my weight loss may not be slammin' (or even based on current scientific principles); my body and my ability to live fully and strongly is. What an adventure, eh? I'm so totally enjoying the ride!

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

NowIliveforaerobicsandnotfood
on 2/8/12 1:43 am
Thanks!  I'm 41.  So far I don't think I look too bad.  I was exercising for 2 years before weight loss surgery and lost like 80 pounds, so I hope that helps some, but I've kinda of come to the conclusion that's is better than being 372 pounds and on 3 different medications!

Most Active
Recent Topics