No Flinstone vitamins?????

bridie_53
on 3/25/12 7:07 am - IL
RNY on 05/16/12
 I was told to buy these and start taking them now. I did that a couple of week ago. I just read in one of the posts about how awesome Kelly is(whic I agree she is) that these are bad vitamins for us?
Help.......................
poet_kelly
on 3/25/12 7:11 am - OH
It's not so much that they are bad for you, it's that they aren't real good for you.  Nothing in them will hurt you if you take them.  However, they have a type of vitamin A that we don't absorb very well and they have NO selenium.  The ASMBS says we should make sure to choose a vitamin with minerals like copper, zinc and selenium.

Now, some people think the lack of selenium is not very important because selenium deficiency is very rare in the US.  That's true, but we are susceptible to a number of deficiencies that are pretty uncommon due to part of our small intestine being bypassed.  I have known one post op to develop a selenium deficiency, which certainly doesn't mean it's common, but a lot of people don't get their level checked, so it's hard to say if it's common or not.

personally, I'd rather use a vitamin with selenium just to be safe.  If you're planning to just use the Flintstones for the first month or so and then switch to a vitamin you swallow, and will pick one of those that is complete and designed for adults, you'll probably be fine.  But if you want a chewable vitamin for long term use, I would go with something like Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage, or else the Centrum Silver (regular chewable Centrum also has no selenium).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jodisue40
on 3/25/12 7:12 am - OH
RNY on 04/11/12
Me too, I was also told to start taking them

myminime
on 3/25/12 7:12 am - Eugene, OR
Some surgeons recommend them - they're easy to find and easy to chew. However, with as much as we malabsorb, there's a lot that the flinstones don't have in them that you'll miss.

That said, a co-worker of mine takes adult gummies and her labs come back just fine every time.

I settled on the Celebrate capsules because I hate chewables

Something is better than nothing for sure. However, if you can stomach an adult multivitamin chewable, you might be a bit better off. However, I'm not one to go against what your surgeon says.

I'd make sure you're supplementing with a Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 and of course your calcium as well as your flinstones.

My two cents
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

kenhud1
on 3/25/12 7:13 am - Houston, TX
These are not bad for RNY patients, they are incomplete. They do not contain appropriate amounts of what we need. Get an adult chewable or gummy if you want, but get adult vits. And, be aware that you will not be ale to take iron with calcium, so it is generally more efficient to get daily multis without iron. And, remember it's two one-a-day multis each day! Take a look at the ASMBS website for vitamin details and follow it regardless of your physician's lack of reccommendation to do so.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

poet_kelly
on 3/25/12 7:17 am - OH
I've never seen a gummy vitamin that has what we need in it.  Have you?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

seattledeb
on 3/25/12 7:23 am
 Nope but they are good to eat like candy!

poet_kelly
on 3/25/12 7:26 am - OH
Yeah, I've tasted them.

I was just wondering, since Ken was advising the OP to get an adult chewable or gummy.  I wonder what gummy he thought was appropriate because I've never seen one that came close.

seattledeb
on 3/25/12 7:29 am
 All I know is I bought some for my son years ago and I ended up eating them because they tasted so good.

kenhud1
on 3/25/12 7:55 am - Houston, TX
It seems that I've seen a gummy somewhere that was ok on ingredients but was only about half of the dail minimums, meaning one would need to take four daily rather than two. However I don't remember the brand. If I'm mistaken, I apologize. I was able to tolerate the Chewables so did not need the gummy brand. It seems that One A Day has a gummy for adults with multiples needed to get to 100% RDA. Not sure if they contain selenium, etc. But I'd agree that it's good advice to make certain you ae getting these additional vitamins/minerals.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 301 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics