3 weeks post-op... Just want to feel better!

countrybella
on 1/10/15 1:36 pm - Ashton, Canada

Yester day was 3 weeks post-op for me! This has most definitely been the hardest thing I've ever done and I still find myself thinking "I shouldn't have done this" on a daily basis! I have been to emerg 2 times due to severe leg pain which was determined to be nerve damage, and just this week I went to a regular appt with my NP and she admitted me that evening for testing, etc! I had severe pain in my left side and SEVERE nausea! They have me on tons of pills to control all of this!

I am certainly not getting in enough protein in a day, and I even wonder if I am getting enough food at all! Almost everything seems disgusting to me! I can be looking so forward to it and one bite in I can't stand to eat anymore!

I also struggle to get enough water in! I am trying though!

I struggle to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now, so tired, so sick, so blah! Am back to work in 2 weeks and I wonder how I will even be able to do that!

I just want to feel okay again! I want my social life back, I want to be able to eat and feel normal, get some energy back! 

HAVE I MADE A HORRIBLE DECISION? Right now I am SO full of regret!!! HELP!

poet_kelly
on 1/10/15 2:56 pm - OH

You're  not going to feel better until you get in your water and protein.  I had a hard time with that in the beginning, too.  Ended up in the Er twice for IV fluids.  Once I started getting my protein in, though, and wasn't dehydrated, I quickly felt a lot better.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

karenp8
on 1/10/15 9:35 pm - Brighton, IL

You need to get the fluids at least in. Dehydration will cause you to feel extremely nauseated so that is where the nausea is coming from. Make that your full time job right now. Try different temperatures of liquids too. I know early out warm herbal teas went down best for me. You will feel better soon. I felt miserable for several weeks too but at 145 pounds down,I now consider WLS one of my best decisions ever! Hang in there!

STB
on 1/10/15 9:53 pm
RNY on 07/21/14

The first month post op I felt like I had made the biggest mistake of my life!! Then, one morning I woke up and the nausea, shakiness, light headedness, etc, was gone!! I slowly (slower than most and slower than what my nutritionist recommended) was able to start adding foods. Your fluids/water is what is most important, protein is next and food is last. You will be fine without food for a bit and it sounds like your health care team is involved so as long as they know I would try to not worry - I know it is hard! I am SO happy that I made this decision but that first month was so difficult. I have lost 86 pounds and am wearing XL (down from 4X). I feel so much better.  Hang in there! This will come together!

SHARON  

Friends K.
on 1/10/15 10:42 pm
RNY on 01/14/14

Hang in there, sip and sip and sip.  Some people do have difficult starts, I have a good friend that had a sleeve and they determined her body didn't like the curve of the stomach and she had many complications for about 3 months but it got better and now at 9 months out she is very happy with this choice but it was very difficult for a bit.  Do your work for sipping and work hard to advocate for yourself!

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

Browneyedgirl33
on 1/10/15 11:58 pm

I am 8 weeks out and the beginning was absolutely horrible.  I cant say that even at 8 weeks I am not still struggling because I am.  Everything still tastes nasty and I have to make myself eat.  I get sick easily and have to be vey cautious of what I eat and how I eat.  I feel better with the decision of surgery now but still it is very hard.  I think it will take till the 6 month timeframe to really feel totally normal again or at least that is what I am hoping.  I will say at least now I can eat a little bit more then before.  that makes me feel better.  Hang in there and remember you are not alone.  there are a lot of us that have struggled and are continuing too.  I hope it gets better for you.  Big Hugs!!

Lisa82
on 1/11/15 12:43 am, edited 1/11/15 12:44 am

Yesterday was one month post op for me. I know exactly how you feel. I struggle to get the protein and fluids in but I make myself. I stay thirsty so its sip sip sip about every 15 minutes, mostly water. At first I stayed nauseas but now I know it was the dehydration from no fluids. As for food, I can tolerate maybe three small bites and that is it, but from what I gather from the boards on here, right now the most important thing is the fluids and protein. Hang in there! We got this!!!

Another thing I found helpful...I was extremely nauseaus and sick first thing every morning. It was so bad I couldn't get out of bed! I finally decided to keep a glass of ice by my bed at night. If I wake up during the night, I take a sip. Seems to help. Don't know if it is just me or if there is something to it. Just a thought.

Poodlemac
on 1/11/15 3:40 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I still have trouble with water. It and my pouch apparently hate each other. I had good luck with crystal light (I personally like the Strawberry Lemonade) and warm peppermint tea. Even coffee goes down easier than water. Remember, all liquids count! Good luck!  It DOES get better!

teri0021
on 1/15/15 3:52 am - Arvada, CO
RNY on 08/25/14

Hi!  I am almost 4 months out and am just now feeling ok.  I had pneumonia post-op and my kidneys were failing due to the CT Contrast Dye.  I found out I was extremely anemic and lacking in B1.  Almost instantly after taking Iron and B1 supplements did I start to feel better.  Food is tasting better now, and I can finally eat.  Everything tasted horrible up until about a week ago.  Fluids are the most important too!  Hang in there....it's all a part of the journey!  Hugs. 

Most Active
Recent Topics