Frozen

Kathy1212
on 11/6/17 8:55 am

I'm in the same boat! I'm absolutely freezing. I spend so much time wrapped in huge fuzzy blankets, fuzzy socks, sweaters, etc., now. I used to sleep with the fan on even in winter.

Now my hands and feet are always like blocks of ice, and my whole body feels cold, right down to the bones, which feel achy.

I have one of those long electric massage mats that also put out heat so I'm going to dig that out of storage. It's meant to fit on a recliner chair but I'm just going to put it in my bed, lol. If that doesn't work, I'll get an electric blanket.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Grim_Traveller
on 11/6/17 10:39 am
RNY on 08/21/12

This is really common. Most people attribute it to "lack of insulation," but it's not. It happens as soon as they wake up from surgery, before any weight has been lost.

Most Type 2 diabetics wake up from surgery with normal bllodd sugars. It can seem miraculous. It's the same sort of internal switch that gets thrown making many of us cold. All you can do is bundle up.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CarlRay
on 11/7/17 5:23 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I'm good with bundling up. The coworkers get a laugh out of it (not having knowledge of my surgery, for the most part) because it'll heat up in the office and I'm still wearing a fur-lined zip hoodie over 2 other shirts, and my heater's on full blast. LOL

Erin T.
on 11/6/17 10:47 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Same here. I think, think that it's starting to level out. But, I seriously wanted to cry a few times from just being so cold. I often go home and shower right after work, put on PJ's and wrap in my huge bathrobe. That always helps. I also have a space heater at work and many sweaters.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Jester
on 11/6/17 1:08 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I have a space heater at work as well, and I run it ALL SUMMER. It's just so cold in my office!

obxhatteraslight
on 11/6/17 12:23 pm - baldwinsville, NY

I myself am frozen. In the middle of purchasing some thermal underwear for myself. Winter has not even hit yet and I am worried about how cold I will be since I am frozen already.

Au_Contraire
on 11/6/17 12:35 pm

I've experienced that bone-deep chill before, with previous diets, especially when I lived where winters meant business! But back then I made the diet shakes I lived on with 8-10 icecubes apiece, whipped up in a blender, so it's no wonder I was freezing! I rarely get cold now. In fact, I am pretty much boiling as I type this, and have the tower fan pointed straight at me! I live in a very mild coastal area, but it always gets comparatively chilly at night, especially during winter, and some winter days can be cold as well. But as of now I am still a hothouse, carrying my own personal equatorial climate around with me. Once or twice a week I feel cold, wrap up in blankets for 20 minutes or so, then start feeling hot again, and have to throw them off.

I have lost >85 pounds, but still have almost 120 yet to go to hit my goal. Maybe when more of my excess avoirdupois disappears, I will join you shiverers? Who knows? It is interesting that the surgery didn't effect me in that way, though clearly it is a common side effect (and I am hypothyroid, which usually goes along with being cold).

ScottAndrews
on 11/6/17 12:41 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

My extremities are much more sensitive. Especially my nose. I can still wear shorts in 60 degree weather but now I might need gloves.

cc583
on 11/6/17 4:57 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

I'm freezing all the time too. Sometimes nothing I do warms me up but always have layers to wear available including carrying extra clothes in my truck.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

CollieMom
on 11/6/17 6:57 pm
RNY on 05/19/17

My experience has been a bit different from yours over the past 7 months since my surgery. I was always a walking hot house and dreaded the thought of suffering with that wretched, bone-snapping cold everyone warned me about. I've had a couple of incidents when when I did get cold but every time I did, I realized I was essentially out of fuel, body-wise. My doctor (Dr. Boorse in the Lehigh Valley, PA) is a triathlete. I chose him because I wanted his guidance getting back to my own physical goals. One of the things he told me is to completely avoid all starches in my diet; even things like sweet potatoes, which are an excellent carbohydrate but still a starch. Following his advice, I have found that when I've been super-diligent about getting in enough protein every 2.5 hours I stay toasty warm. But if I get sloppy in my mini-meals or they don't contain enough protein then I get cold. If I get caught up in eating carbs (fruits and veggies only) without the needed protein to stoke my furnace I can wind up in a fetal position in bed, shivering, teeth chattering and utterly unable to generate any warmth whatsoever.

62 year old Female. HW - 345.8, SW-327, CW between 235-240 (my sweetheart hid the scale for me once I lost 100 lbs so I wouldn't obsess). Surgery was on 5/19/2017. GW - 160

Most Active
Recent Topics