Is this as good as it gets?

letitbe78
on 4/23/11 11:46 am - KS
I haven't lost any weight since February.  I have trouble getting in all my protein each day.  I have trouble drinking all my water every day.  I have had some slip ups with too many carbs and drinking pop a few times. I did not know it would be this hard.  On the good side, I have lost 35 pounds and I am walking daily for 30 minutes.  I have dropped two clothing sizes.  I don't think I realized I would be eating only protein and no carbs for the rest of my life.  I thought I would just eat LESS due to stomach size.  I am truly bummed.  I paid so much for this surgery and I don't want to let myself and my family down.  Please some good advice please!!  I want to be successful and I think it would help if I had a food plan to follow every day, similar to Weigh****chers.  And also just wondering, why isn't a calorie just a calorie now, why does it have to be a protein calorie?

sleeve genie
on 4/23/11 11:58 am - Alhambra, CA
Every body needs protein.  We always ate it we just also ate a lot of other stuff too.  Since we can no longer eat all the other stuff we still need the protein.  If you don't eat protein your body will take it from your internal organs and you will become a very sick puppy.   It sounds like you already know what to do,  you just have to do it.  We all do.  I'm a slower loser as i eat stuff i shouldn't but i always get my protein and water.  There is a learning curve to all of this and if you want to be a success you have to follow the rules,  at least most of the time.  Good luck,  you can do this  :o) Jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Jenijeni
on 4/23/11 11:59 am
I can't answer all your questions... But will say that if you need a plan to make this work for you, develop a plan! Or, follow Atkins or South Beach or Weigh****cher's. Just fine tune it to meet the getting protein first requirements. I don't know where you got your information on this surgery, but if your doc told you anything OTHER than that this is a lifelong commitment, they were wrong. I knew my diet would have to change drastically, I knew I had to eat lots of protein, I knew I was committed to losing the weight. if you aren't willing to do the work, then perhaps this wasn't the surgery for you... But now you are stuck with it. Sorry it's a disappointment, but if you're going to eat lots of carbs and drink pop you're probably going to continue to be disappointed. Good luck and I hope you can find your groove with the sleeve and make it work for you.

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

ValB
on 4/23/11 12:01 pm
I went through a long stall too -- my revision from band to sleeve was in october -- so i'm not much ahead of you.  BUT it gets better.. keep trying to get the protein in -- and especially the water.   your body is still in WTH mode.. :)  i stayed within the same 5 lbs for like 6-8 weeks  its normal to have stalls your body is trying to figure out what has happened.        keep pushing forward./. i have now started to loose again.. :) try and be patient.
it's not easy..... and as time comes you can venture a little more food wise.. just give it time.,

ps -- if you are a considered a light weight -- it comes off slower also.

band 4/18/08 slipped band 10/15/09.  further band complications --revision from band to sleeve 10/21/10.  Starting Weight - 230 Rev. surg wt - 203 Current - 147 Goal - 130

nicolite
on 4/23/11 1:14 pm - Aurora, CO
VSG on 07/17/10 with
Hey there, I didn't read the replies, so hopefully they gave you good advice as I'm gonna skip all that and just reassure you.  I compleeeetely hear you.  Completely.  I had NO clue that I was going to be so terrible with carbs.  I didn't have them for months.  I felt completely sure that I was gonna be one of the few who couldnt' tolerate it ever again, because my friend who got sleeved on the very same day, she was eating toast, no problem!  I am nearly 9 months out, and I had a piece of toast today.  Bread goes down, in small bits.  I eat rice fine, too.  I get full off of them super quick, so I don't have more than like one serving of bread or rice a day, but I can have it.  I CAN eat half a sandwich and I know that might sound like nothing, but seriously, I"m nearly NINE months out, and just this time last month I coudlnt' have imagined eating a slice of bread!  I can now, eat a slice - so like an open-faced sandwich, or a half a sandwich with bread on top and bottom.  I choose not to eat it often because I get so full on it quickly, and if I go a bite over, it's uncomfortable, but seriously, I feel so much more normal now.  So hang in there, things will get easier - try not to focus on your limitations now, just all the positives.  The other things will come with time, and the things that don't - you'll lose taste for them and not give a darn because you won't remember what' you're missing ;)  

I know that might sound bad, but it's not!  There are things that I used to LOVE that I don't care for at all.  Months ago I would have been sad about that, but I could care less now.  There are still times I really miss the option to do as I please when it comes to food... but heck, I'd be the same size or bigger by now, too.  You will gain so many wonderful things... hang in there :)

Pre-op diet/SW/CW/GW :: 306/297/209/185
Just had my 3rd child a month ago - wanting to get back on the weightloss wagon!

TinkerToot
on 4/23/11 1:46 pm - Albany, LA
I had a long stall too. I thought I was done losing and the rest was up to me.
Then one day I got on the scales and lost 2 lbs.
This is an amazing tool and I'm sure yours isn't done working either.

mlssadwn
on 4/23/11 3:08 pm - Red Bluff, CA
 Wow...I feel like you are telling MY story :) Feel free to read any of my posts/profile or PM me for support. I too am/have struggled and fear letting my family down...even more than myself i think.

Good Luck
Mel
 Height 5'8" Highest Weight - 245 Surgery Weight - 220 Goal Weight - 150-160 Current Weight - 155 

May D.
on 4/23/11 3:58 pm
I was told when I went on solid food that I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I ate my 60-70 grams of protein and watched my carb intake.  I would not have had this surgery if had to eat just protein forever.  If you can try to eat at least 60 grams of protein a day, stick with fresh fruits and veggies, let go of the carbs for a while, and continue exercising, you'll do great.  When you've reached your goal, you will decide how much carbs to add to your diet and stick to a program you can live with for the rest of you life. 
sbrown6283
on 4/23/11 9:49 pm - Fremont, CA
I stalled for a few months, I upped my protein, and water intake.  I usually get at least 90 grams of protein, the more protein I take in the more weight I lose!!!  I also started using an app on my phone so I can log everything I eat.  I do not eat many carbs at all.  I tell myself that once I lose my weight I can eat anything I want in moderation!
Starr 

33 of those pounds were lost pre-op

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/11 11:31 pm - MI
I am a month out and I was talking to my sleeve sister about this. It's like oh I paid 9 grand to be on the Adkins diet! I understood the whole diet and lifestyle change before surgery. I am trying to focus on protein but I have had a few carbs to let me know this will be doable. Cabs got me in this big mess to begin with. I dont know about you but I was overweight and unhealthy. My point is if you need a few carbs to make you feel happy than alow yourself a very small amount. But always remember where you are going in this journey. Not all carbs are bad and it's not like you can never have any again. Since we can only eat so little at a time we must go with the highest quality food. That is protein.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views