10K Update on training

msulme
on 10/24/11 3:05 am - KY
I posted a few weeks ago that I had decided to do a 10K on Thanksgiving.  I was absolutely scared to death.  Over the last few days my confidence has really started to kick in.  Yesterday I had to do 4 miles, well, my average time per mile was 13:23...........I think that's damn good considering where I was a year ago!  I have even improved from an average time of 15:30 when I started a few weeks ago.  Thank goodness for supportive friends who push me and for seeing an end goal in site.  I can do this!

sunbeam409
on 10/24/11 4:42 am
GOOD FOR YOU,  YOU CAN DO IT!!  I am very proud of you!  I have decided that when I lose a little more weight I am going to train for a 5k, then 10k, etc...

Keep us posted on how it goes!

VSG: 8/29/2011, Age:30, Height: 5' 6" (HW: 290) (SW: 280.8) (CW: 191.2) (GW: 160)
(Pre-op -9.2) (M1 -20.4) (M2 -16) (M3 -13.4) (M4- 10.8) (M5- 15.2) (M6- 7.8) (M7- 7.2)
acbbrown
on 10/24/11 5:26 am - Granada Hills, CA
That has to feel good :) You are going to rock your 10K on Thanksgiving!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

gonersmom
on 10/24/11 6:29 am
WTG!! You are my inspiration. Keep us informed on your progress. I hope to do some 5k's soon....can't even imagine what it would be like to do a 10K!! Rock your sleeve!

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
Ms. Poker Face
on 10/24/11 8:07 am
I really want to start running again!  When I was in my early 20's, I lost a bunch of weight and did some 5K's.  It gave me the greatest feeling. 

How did you get started on this 10k training??  Advice?

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

msulme
on 10/24/11 10:24 pm - KY
Thank you all for the encouraging words!  I am following a training schedule, it's an 8 week training for novice runners(ME!)........and I also am including some words of advice from my personal trainer who convinced me to do this.

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

Even though it says to “run" three times a week, remember it’s OK to start off with walking/jogging intervals. It’s all about getting the mileage under your belt… do whatever pace you need to do to get there.

You can totally mix up the running days… so if you’d rather run on Tues and Thursday during the week, do that. And, it can change from week to week. Just be sure to get the 3x in a week. That’s what matters most.

Ignore the “stretching" on Monday. 

Do try to get a day of strength in each week (or two)

Do take your off days and ENJOY them… you need the time to recover.

I hope this helps anyone who is looking to set a goal like I have.  It has helped me tremendously.  On the website they even have a 10K training for walkers if you want to walk the entire thing.  Cheers to us all for rocking our sleeves!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views