Does anyone else do this???

duranie512
on 11/6/11 1:04 am - OH
Does anyone else who have been wanting a taste of something if you put it in your mouth chew it up and spit it out???  I find myself doing this with french fries from Mcdonalds or an accasional piece of candy.  I figured as long as I don't swallow it then Im not getting ALL the calories.  Probably a bad thing but better than swallowing it.

acbbrown
on 11/6/11 1:16 am - Granada Hills, CA
Id have to say that doesn't sound very healthy - sounds like heading towards an eating disorder of sorts. If you are doing it more than once or twice, id recommend perhaps getting some professional help.

if you have to have a taste, just take a bite. One bite of something wont hurt IF you can stop at one. But, you should work on getting over the urges and temptations.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

blakereimert
on 11/6/11 1:22 am - TX
Im really sorry to say this, but... This is a really bad idea.. Ever heard the phrase carbs beget carbs?? Its really true... IMO I have found that when I taste things then I crave them more. If I eat carbs/sugar I end up wanting them more... I went through this thing for over a week where I ate spoonfulls of peanut butter because I wanted something semi-sweet, but the more I ate, the more I wanted... When I made myself stop after a day or two I quit wanting it. I am 4 1/2 mo post op and I dont crave sugar or carbs and I think it is because my body has adjusted to not having it at all. I am carb sensitive so I have to limit it to under 20 a day... It was very difficult at first but now I am totally satisfied with protien and vegies.
Hang in there, and really try to avoid theese foods altogether for a week or two and see what happens. Perhaps you wont want it anymore.
Good luck

Ms. Poker Face
on 11/6/11 1:25 am
Probably not a good idea and here's my reason for saying that.  You might be in stage now where you aren't allowed solid foods.  If so, this seems harmless.  But what are you going to do when you can eat solids again?  It will go from one fry to 10 fries to a whole carton.  And for most of us, we can eat things like fries (slider foods) all day and not have much restriction.

I think it's a slippery slope and I advise against it.  

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

MyOwnSunshine
on 11/6/11 1:32 am
I agree with previous posters.  I think this is disordered eating and one step away from bingeing and purging.  I think it would be better to deal with your head hunger and cravings in a different way.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
tanieanie
on 11/6/11 1:43 am - WI
Everyone is right.  But it wont always be this way.  After learning how and why to eat for the last six months, I am now in a place where if I really want something I allow myself a little.  So for instance, Ive been wanting cheesecake.  The other day when we were at friends and they had one.  I took the tinest sliver and after about 3 bites I realized my craveing to taste had been satisfied and pushed the rest back and continued to visit without wanting or needing to eat the rest.  Do I do this alot... no   maybe once every few weeks.  Its never planned but it helped me get rid of the thoughts of I CANT EVER HAVE WHAT I WANT!  I remind myself I am not at goal yet, and that I am learning and practicing good choices and moderation of everythng.  Good luck!

SleeveRockn Chic
on 11/6/11 1:56 am
 Ha I found myself doing this twice, both with MCD.  The first time was nuggets.  Hubby got some and I took a nibble of one and spit out.  It was gross, the taste was greasy and not the same taste I remember before surgery.  Same thing happened when I tried a fry last week, gross gross gross.  All I taste is grease and no flavor.  SO for me it turned out to be a good thing.  I don't want it anymore plus it's not good for you anyways.  I am glad it tastes like **** now cause before I used to love me some nuggets and fries lol  Kerry 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  
 HW: 365lbs.  SW:353  CW:182.4  GW:160 lbs.
Goal 1: Get under 300 (Reached as of 11/15/2011 299.4 Baby) 
Goal 2- Get under 200 (Reached as of 08/29/2012 199.2 Baby) 
Goal 3- Get to 160

BriarRose
on 11/6/11 1:02 am
I would not do this. Instead, I would have a small bite or two, and just eat it. This surgery is permanent. Your state of mind has to change with the physical changes. It shouldn't be about continuing "bad habits" like bulimia, or chewing and spitting; but about making the necessary changes in how and what we eat.

Yes, at almost 10 months out, I allow myself to eat things that are not strictly on my plan; but I CAN eat just a couple bites now, and walk away from the plate !

You have to work on WHY you are doing this, perhaps with a therapist -- so that this becomes WHO you are NOW, not continuing bad habits into a new part of your life.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
wls2011
on 11/6/11 1:38 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 To answer your question....I've been on these boards for awhile and have seen many post about this...and quite a few have admitted to doing it...probably more have tried it, but not admitted to it...

I have not done it and would not do it...IMO, I just think it is gross.....and it does seem like bulimia bound behavior to me....plus I've heard people on here say, that you do absorb some of those calories...so you might as well swallow a small bite and then stay away from having more....

I've had plenty of "cheats"....bites of junk food here and there....it has not kept me from losing lots of weight...and many times, I've found that it wasn't worth the mental struggle...meaning it did not taste as good as I thought to obsess over eating it or not....

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

duranie512
on 11/6/11 7:22 am - OH
I am actually over 2 months from surgery.  I don't do it very often so I don't think I have a disorder of any type, well except I used to overeat.  99% of the food that enters my mouth is protien.  I will take everyones opinion into consideration.  Thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views