One year (almost) Surgeon visit report.

BriarRose
on 1/14/12 3:00 am
I had my one year surgeon's visit yesterday.  And wanted to report back here. 

I have lost a total of 121 pounds since starting my pre op program.  That is a total of 34 pounds pre op and 87 pounds post op. 

I am a 55 years young woman, with severe arthritis.  I went into this to lose enough to have knee replacements, and will have those this coming year; but I have found a TOTAL NEW ME in the past year !!!

My surgeon and I set a goal of 165 to 170 pounds -- which basically has me still in the overweight to obese catagory, but I liked that my surgeon and I both felt that this was a "logical" weight - based on losing 65 to 70 percent of my ideal weight.  And taking into account my physical limitations concerning exercise and movement.

I will have my labs done next week, and will report those here also. 

To anyone considering surgery over 50 years old, I would highly encourage you to do this.  I have regained so much in my life that I thought was lost.  I am exercising at a ladies circuit gym, I have energy to spare, I sleep well at night, and I feel great. 

I am 9 pounds from that 170 goal, and just a few more to the 165.  I told my surgeon that I was ok with taking the next year to reach it, and he smiled, and told me that I would probably do it in the next 6 months.  I explained that I had gained 4 pounds in November, and just finishsed taking those off !  He smiled and told me "see, you are normal now ! That's what normal people do." 

HOLY **** !!!  I"m NORMAL ??

The weirdest thing about my visit, was that when I walked in, there were all these vey obese people in the waiting room, all looking at me -- following me with their eyes, talking to whoever they were with, and all of a sudden, I realized it -- I (ME! ?) was the "normal, skinny, well, not obese person in the room.....and they were not talking about me because I was the fattest person in the room....it was a pretty stunning moment for me.  All of the double chairs were taken, only the single chairs were avaliable.  I sat down with my clipboard to fill out my paperwork, and put my purse next to me on the chair, crossed my legs and started writing....and everyone is still looking at me....it was a really weird feeling....
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Jenny C.
on 1/14/12 3:07 am
 Wow...congratulations.  So awesome!  Hope the knee replacements go super smoothly.

I love the idea of regaining one's life instead of regaining weight.  I'm going to start a thread!!!

onemoretry
on 1/14/12 3:17 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Congrats on the weight loss! I have not had surgery yet, but can't wait to experince the feelings you are feeling.

HT: 5'4"      HW: 251  SW: 237  CW: 172 GW: 135 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
"You can control how much water you drink, how much protein/carbs/cals you consume, and how much you exercise. FOCUS on those and not the scale, because no matter how hard we try, we do not control the scale." ~  acbbrown

Mom4Jazz
on 1/14/12 3:20 am
Way to go! You've done great.

I'm thrilled for you that you'll be able to have the replacements. My Mom had both of hers done, one in 1988 and one in 1989 and has done AMAZING! She was on a 4-legged cane before and used no cane for 20 years. Now at 83 she uses one again but for balance not her knees.

I think I've managed to defer, for now, my knee replacement. I had Orthovisc injections in my right knee immediately pre-op so I could even walk for exercise. I will have another round of them next month, one year from the first round. As long as they remain as effective as they are, I will postpone the replacement.

Congrats on a great job, and good luck!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Ms. Poker Face
on 1/14/12 3:23 am
That is fantastic!  Thanks for sharing!  You have provided lots of wisdom, guidance, support and level-headed-ness to this board on your journey.  Thank you for that!  Now keep rockin' it!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Terry H.
on 1/14/12 3:30 am
Excellent work and very inspiring.  Good for you and keep going!

HW 420 SW 369  Pre-Op -51 lbs; M1-19;M2-15;M3-14;M4 -14;M5-13; M6- 14;M7-14;M8-10;M9-11;M10-11;M11-9;M12-7;M13-7;M14-5; M15-7; M16-8. M17-3. M18-6; M19-5. Goal of 200 (220 Lost) Reached Month 15. Goal of 180 (240 lost) reached at 18 months 10 days on 4/.20/13.  57% body weight lost@180.  Now on maintenance. Low weight 169.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Beyond Goal 

foodlover
on 1/14/12 3:50 am
great job.  :)
MargeAD
on 1/14/12 5:27 am - CA
Amazing story. Thank you for sharing.

1london
on 1/14/12 6:01 am
How wonderful!!  You have done so well and I sincerely wish you all the best with your upcoming knee replacements!
Best wishes and Happy Anniversary!!!!!!

Chalk
on 1/14/12 6:47 am - TN
VSG on 01/09/12

I LOVE that you were able to plop down in that chair, put your purse beside you and CROSS your legs!!! How cool is THAT!

I'm 61 and was sleeved on Monday so I'm 5 days out and can't wait to experience some of those NSV's

Pre-Op Weight Loss 20 lbs ~~~~~ Surgery Weight 289

Goal weight 180  ~~~~~~  6'0"

Month 1 (21 lbs) ~~~ Month 2 (10 lbs) ~~~ Month 3 (14 lbs) ~~~ Month 4 (12 lbs) ~~~ Month 5 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 6 (11 lbs) ~~~ Month 7 (10 lbs) ~~~~ Month 8 (8 lbs) ~~~ Month 9 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 10 (6 lbs)

Goal Reached in 10 months  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views