Post opt suffering like you wouldnt believe plz help!

tSqrD3
on 3/3/12 8:41 am - PA
VSG on 02/27/12
 So Im 5days Post opt which means im doing my two week clear liquid diet and I am having a hard time. I feel like I need actual FOOD b/c I am soooo week and there is nothing I can do to change how i feel.. not taking an extra vitamin NOTHING. What is wrong with me b/c I feel like DEATH!
Pooch2
on 3/3/12 8:52 am
Are you getting all your water in?

Have you started taking protein, day five I slowly choked down 50 grams of Premier Protein premade shakes.... Protein will help your body heal.   Your body is reacting to the shock of surgery and you probably still have gas in your system from the procedure.....walk, sip, get your water and your protein down, repeat each day.... it will get better every day.....  Best to you...
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
acbbrown
on 3/3/12 8:52 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Well.......that's kind of part of the deal when you have a major surgery like this. I can promise you that I felt the same way but every day will get better as the swelling goes down and you can drink more and eventually eat. Make sure you are staying hydrated. For me, a nice cup of warm broth always made me feel better. I never bothered with trying to put protein in my broth, but you could...

Just take pain meds and rest up. It will all be a distant memory soon. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ruggie
on 3/3/12 9:17 am - Sacramento, CA
This won't feel like much help to you at the moment, but you just have to push through this feeling.

It's a feeling.  It's going to be temporary.  You have to push through it.

You want food.   You can't have food.  Do your best to distract yourself anyway you can, but stay on plan.

The biggest change is the hardest change.  You'll make it - just hang in there.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

kimm74
on 3/3/12 10:01 am
 I was at this point last week and boy did I have buyer's remorse.... Believe me...it will pass fast..but get up and move...I drank gatorade type drinks that had vitamins in them...and this helped me...
ND2BTHN
on 3/3/12 10:19 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 That is your head talking. Food is the last thing your healing tummy needs right now. You are weak because of the trauma your body has just gone through. Give it some time. The first week is by far the hardest part. Each day will get easier than the last. Keep moving as much as you can. Walk around every 2 hours, even if it is in circles around the house. Don't do anything strenuous right now. Just focus on healing. This was major surgery and it takes time for your body to adjust to your new life. Have you tried vitamin water? I found the lemonade to have the highest vitamin content, so this may help. Worked for me when I was on 20 days of liquids post-op. 

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
BriarRose
on 3/3/12 10:19 am
The first week or two is tough. YOu are recuperating from major surgery, you can't eat, and you feel like crap. Been there, done that.

The thing is, you have to sip sip sip all the time. Try strained chicken broth, try beef broth. Try warm tea, try ice chips, popsicles, and really cold water. Try isopure, try adding a scoop of protein powder to the broth.....and know that in another week, you will be feasting on two teaspoons of cream of wheat, and feeling full from that.

Really, it gets better.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
kwiegs3856
on 3/3/12 11:06 am, edited 3/3/12 11:27 am - PA
VSG on 01/05/12
   We all been through this same thing, and I even had the same surgeon as you!  I will tell you what
got me through the first two weeks.  Buy Unjury chicken protein soup online, put a low sodium bouion
cube in it and sip away!  It will build your strenght up because of the 20gms of protein in it and also
make your sore & swollen belly feel better.  Also, order the sample pack of other protein drinks &
unflavored protein to add into your food when you start mushies.  This way you will find out what ones
you like most.   Every week gets better, I feel great now just keep drinking water and getting that  protein
into  you!  Good luck, you can do it!!   PS:  It's one week clear liquid, then full liquid.

newme2011-2012
on 3/3/12 10:50 am
I was told clear liquids for the first 7 days, but if I started to feel like you are describing they said to start protien shakes right away.
Hope you feel better soon... Keep drinking your water!!!
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

JennR
on 3/3/12 11:38 am
Hang in there. You have just had major surgery and it takes awhile to recover. I don't know about where you had your surgery but most places seem to advocate protein shakes for the first 2 or 3 weeks post-op. If you are feeling weak it is probably because you aren't getting enough protein and calories from a clear fluid diet. It took me a full 3 to 4 weeks to start feeling normal again after surgery.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views