Is VSG Enough?

MizzEvil
on 3/12/12 8:59 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 03/16/12

Have you checked with your doctor about this? Sounds like something more than weight... depression... hypertension... thyroid... anemia...

katier825
on 3/12/12 9:00 am
Once you start losing weight, you feel so much better physically and emotionally! I was so surprised at how my self-esteem skyrocketed from what it was before. I do so much more now than I ever did (like dancing in public, speaking up at meetings and such). I don't hide in the corner like I used to.

At my highest in 2008, I was 240. At my first consult in Jan 2010, I was about 220. By the time I had surgery in Nov 2010, I was 195. I could have had the surgery sooner but was working around a non-refundable vacation I had booked. I made it to my goal of 140 by June 2011 and have maintained around 135 since. I have no health issues now. I am thrilled with my results and have never had even a second of regret.

The only "issue" I have now is that I shop for clothes much more often!
Shanester66
on 3/12/12 9:17 am - PA
VSG on 02/09/12
I was thin and in very good shape my whole life.  I modeled back in the early 90's both runway and print.  I started gaining weight in about 1995.  It was very slow but it got to the point that any work in that industry was not going to happen.  I am 6'3" and went from a very lean 235 to 340 at my heaviest.  Mind you, I always held my weight very well because of my height and build but 340 is 340! lol  Getting my sleeve has given me hope again that I can someday look like I did when in my 20's.  Right now Im 290 and feeling great...I know  I will reach my goal of 230.  If you think that losing the weight will help you with some issues then go for it.  Dont let anyone tell you you cant or it wont help.  Only you know you.  Good luck.
Thanks for all the help!!

rhip
on 3/12/12 9:17 am
 I'm one month post op, and I've lost 28 lbs so far. I started off the same weight as you are, and am the same height. Even though I have a long way to go, I feel so much better already. I had issues with arthritis in my right foot and swelling of the feet and ankles and that has already dissappeared. That could be due to the "diet", no more salty, processed food, not just the weight loss. 
I have put my largest sized pants in a donation bag already coz I know I will never need them again.
Yes, my confidence is up too and I don't get as winded as I used to.
For me it's been a great decision so far.

Rita

acbbrown
on 3/12/12 9:30 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Losing weight will be a small part of the process to becoming a new person. 

For me, I am much more social than I ever was at 420 lbs. My social anxiety has reduced quite a bit because i am more confident and I dont hve to worry about awkward situations (not fitting in chairs, being uncomfortable, having people stare at me, etc) and I feel like people take me seriously as a smaller person. I always felt like I was just a joke when I was much bigger. 

However, self confidence and self esteem only get you so far. You have to be willing to do the rest - I have had to push myself far beyond my comfort levels to interact with other people, and enjoy some social activities. I am still very shy/reserved/quiet but much less so now that I'm smaller. I wish I was more outgoing, but that's more of a personality thing than a weight thing. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

teahleah
on 3/12/12 10:00 am
VSG on 07/02/12
I know how you felt accbrown...it sounds as if you are describing me exactly. I am at the beginning of my journey but I literally had a melt down the other day in talking to my mom about the fact that I'm afraid of who just might be under all of this fat!

I know that I will be the "same" person but I am thinking in many ways that I won't because I've never been able to live life as a smaller person.  There have been times in my life where I wished more than ANYTHING that I could just NOT BE SEEN in a room full of people, but since I couldn't I was determined to make sure I was the funniest, brightest, most witty person around so that people would remember me for those qualities and not for being the "fat girl."

I agree with what everyone here has said thus far...things will be different...but for me I look forward to learning the NEW me and accepting ALL OF ME no matter what size I am.

HW: 475, Consult WT: 450.5 **Lost 63 lbs pre-op** SW: 387.5 M1: -31, M2: 
Check out my blog about my journey so far:  http://breakingoutbebe.blogspot.com
RockinMama
on 3/12/12 9:50 am - Cordele, GA
VSG on 07/09/12

I think my weight definitely does a number to my self-esteem.  I am an extreme extrovert, and I know for a fact, that there are times that I don't socialize, etc because of my weight.  I lost 112 about 12 years ago and was on top of the world with even the first 40 gone.  I felt confident and the vibe I sent out was totally different too. 

Once you have the surgery, you will find out who you really are since you won't be hiding behind your weight.  Maybe your bf is feeling a little insecure right now. 

BETHC500
on 3/12/12 9:55 am
I love my sleeve and I am getting better stronger and more confident everyday...

frisco
on 3/12/12 10:00 am

Here is the difference......

First, at 338lbs. there are very few pictures of me..... and I'm a photographer.

At 338lbs. I would not be posting my photo on a Public Online Forum.

Here is a pic of me at Indy last year....... I was there at 148Lbs.

If I was still 338lbs. I would not have been there.........

Here is a link to my 2 years Post:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4455909/Frisco-2-Years-Long-Post-Pics-and-Swagger/action,replies/topic_id,4455909/page,1/

Here is a link to a 1 year post by member brownblonde:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4391501/ONE-YEAR-100-113-2lbs-Lots-of-pics-its-a-book/

This surgery and my surgeon got me back into life......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Crabadams72
on 3/12/12 10:53 am - Silver Spring, MD
He said that he doesn't think that this surgery would help because after I lose the weight I would have another problem.

>>>>>>>>Why does he say this?
Before surgery I was lethargic and did not want to move around or go to a bunch of places. I look back now and realize that I was depressed and depression does not always present itself in extremes. It can be subtle with feelings of self doubt and loathing and not wanting to go out and be around people.

After surgery I did not experience any extreme tiredness once the liquid stage ended.I started feeling better as the pounds melted. However, I do have a wrinkly belly, thighs and arm flab. Those things could get me down but they don't. I am at a point in my life where I'm not trying to wear shorts, mini skirts
or tank tops. Losing the weight, the pain in my knee and hips and going from a size 20/22 to a size 4 was reward enough for me.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views