What is everyone doing for excercise?

jcush
on 4/1/12 7:13 am - CA
I am a month out from surgery and was wondering what everyone has been doing for excercise? I read on here a lot about what everyone is eating, but seldom read about what types of excercise everyone is doing? I had sever pain where my suture was for the last 3 weeks and I am just now being able to walk more without having pain. I spoke with my Dr. and he said to "up my game now" so I am in the process of doing that. I was never into excercise and I am finding it hard to get motivated even though the weight is still coming off. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.
J Cush
Ms. Poker Face
on 4/1/12 7:35 am
I did mostly walking and played volleyball until 5 months post op.  And then I had to up my game.  I now rotate through walking, volleyball, yoga, core class, cardio dvd's, running, and the elliptical.  I have to keep it mixed up and interesting or I get bored and stop.

This sounds trite, but find what you like and then do it!  ANd do it well!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 4/1/12 7:38 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
My surgeon told me that I can't do it in water, don't do it until I've lost a significant amount of weight. I'm doing nothing at this moment but I have a Nordic Track that I just bought waiting for me.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Michelle from Louisiana

The-New-Me
on 4/1/12 7:38 am
I have a set of walking DVD's, that are set in mile increments.  1-Mile through 5-Miles, by Leslie Sansome.  You don't just stand in place in walk, there are other movements, but you do not have to be coordinated or have rhyhm.  They are easy to follow steps, and part of the time you use 5 lb. weights for your arms. 

I lost the 5 lb. weights that went with the set, now I just use 5 lb. wrist weights, works just as good.

I have used them in the past when I was working on my weight.  They are a good way to build up stamina until you actually feel like going outside walking or going to the gym.

I started the 1-mile at week 2, and now I walk the 1-mile in the morning before work and the 2-mile in the evening. 

I am 4 weeks out.  I really like them and think they work great. 

Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/12 7:42 am
All I did for the first 6 weeks was walk - and then not a whole lot. At two months out I was fully cleared for all exercise and got serious. Now.....

3 times per week - circuit core training (resistance, cardio, etc...) for 40 minutes followed by 30 minutes on the elliptical or treadmil. The two other days I do the treadmill or elliptical for an hour a day. I take the weekends off to play!

This has really kept my WL consistent. Haven't had a stall since I started this exercise program.
Jane B.
on 4/1/12 8:31 am - Strathmore, Canada
VSG on 01/11/12 with
On April 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM Pacific Time, kairk wrote:
All I did for the first 6 weeks was walk - and then not a whole lot. At two months out I was fully cleared for all exercise and got serious. Now.....

3 times per week - circuit core training (resistance, cardio, etc...) for 40 minutes followed by 30 minutes on the elliptical or treadmil. The two other days I do the treadmill or elliptical for an hour a day. I take the weekends off to play!

This has really kept my WL consistent. Haven't had a stall since I started this exercise program.
Your efforts certainly show in your amazing progress.  Good for you!
HW: 243 SW:228 GW:160
"I want to really live, not just be putting in time"    

acbbrown
on 4/1/12 7:47 am - Granada Hills, CA
 At 1 mo out, i was barely walking - maybe 15-20 min at a time. It wasn't until 6 weeks out that I was pain free and started doing some brisk walking.. 

Now, I swim, bike, run, play tennis, kayak, lots of fun stuff that most people don't think of as exercise. There is a lot to choose from - you dont have to go to a gym or do the "normal" routines to get exercise. Just move your body! 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

skyjem
on 4/1/12 8:03 am - Canada
Walking, biking, yoga, calisthenics.

Ashley S.
on 4/1/12 8:18 am, edited 4/1/12 8:22 am
VSG on 05/04/10 with
happyteacher
on 4/1/12 8:19 am
 Ahh.... exercise!  This has been one of the greatest joys for me since surgery!

-3 days post op started walking about a mile a day.  It was really hard and I didn't like it, but I was convinced it would help with the gas pain via members here so I did it.
- at the 10 day follow-up the nurse practioner said I could do the elliptical.  Big mistake, it hurt.  Started that back up about 30 days out if I recall correctly.  Again, really hard but i was determined to move my mass!
-added distance to the walking steadily at the malll to avoid the Michigan winter weather.
-Now, here is a typical range of what I do, and looking to add in something new every month

1 workout: 30 minutes elliptical and 10 minutes weight lifting for the upper body
1 workout: many times added to the above- walk 4 or 5 miles.  This is my current favorite and i do this 5 days a week typically.
New workout:  Just added biking.  It is really really hard for some reason, so this is the one I will be working on improving in over the next month.  

Love this post- hopefully I can pick up a idea for what I will add next.  I am thinking of maybe a yoga class, but i am the MOST inflexible person I know!  Is there such a thing as a beginning fat chick who can't stretch yoga class?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views