Slipped up

Dstc_99
on 9/7/12 6:46 am - WA
VSG on 08/13/12
Ok so unlike some people I have had no problem eating foods yet. Everything is going ok and the few things that made me a little off were really high in protein. I am at 3.5 weeks and able to eat pretty much anything even though I haven't been brave enough to try all meats yet or anything like a chip or cracker.

Last night I was craving chocolate sooooooo bad! I couldnt find anything small in the house but when I looked in the fridge there was mint chocolate chip ice cream. I had less than half a cup but I felt so much better just taking that edge off.

Tonight I go home and throw out the ice cream and crap that I know I will break down and eat eventually. Then I head to the grocery to get some safe snacks in sizes that I will not be tempted to gorge on. Hopefully the kids will forgive me as long as I give them stuff they can eat that wont hurt me.

acbbrown
on 9/7/12 7:16 am - Granada Hills, CA
Id really recommend starting to find different ways to cope with life - I totally get the food making you feel better - story of my life - but once you get further out, it only gets harder. Relying on food to take that edge off is sometimes the root of our problems and how we ended up obese/morbidly obese, etc. The key to getting to goal and maintaining will be addressing that issue.

And as always, just because you can eat anything doesnt mean you should.

But big kudos to you for throwing out the ice cream! Big step - keep it up.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Shagdoll
on 9/7/12 8:37 am
Alison is so right & I also think it's awesome that you threw out the rest of the mint chocolate chip ice cream. Try the Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie protein powder. I bet it will cure any mint ice cream flavor you have!!!
You are still very early out of surgery and it's critical to stay on plan right now. Your eating habits now will determine how successful you are in this journey; we really need to make the best of it.
I'm a year out and some people wonder why I still drink a protein shake a day... for me, it's simple, it satisfies my sugar craving and I just happen to find a few flavors that I really love. So yes, so get some tasty high protein snacks so you have them on hand when you need them.
You can do this!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Dstc_99
on 9/7/12 10:04 am - WA
VSG on 08/13/12
Thanks guys! I think that is why I was so dissapointed in myself. I let my need for something emotionally outweigh my brain knowing it wasn't allowed. I am glad I only had a very small amount istead of a large amount. I am also glad to know that the occasional ice cream wont kill me I just need to not keep it around and make sure I limit it to small amounts that satisfy the occasional craving.

My biggest concern with not having any major food aversions after surgery is that I will be able to eat anything I want and fall back into bad habits. So for now I am going to make sure they aren't in my house. I can avoid them better that way and learn how to handle the emotional needs for food without eating.

reneemosley
on 9/7/12 10:36 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12
I am certainly no expert, but I really can not have it in my house (where I can see it). I have a family though and they want stuff I consider dangerous sometimes. I make them put it in a container in the garage and eat it when I am not around. When I will not be home for dinner is when they go to fast food or burgers.
When it is time for ice cream we make it....full version for them and protein ice cream for me. I also have had no eating restrictions with my sleeve so far.
I also use the protein powders to cure my need for sweets, like Jenn .
As I progress in this I realize this is so much more about healing my head than my eating habits. This is my second WLS I have had alot of time to think about this, its still hard.

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

Most Active