What's the best/worst thing you make in the blender?

MuttLover
on 9/7/12 5:59 pm
VSG on 11/14/12
 I just got my new super, duper Vitamix (note-- Vitamix sells refurbished ones on its web site for a lot less than new -- and with a 7-year warranty) -- LOL -- still don't know if it will be "worth it"!

So, what are your favorite blender uses?  I see many people "mix" their protein shakes, not blend them (so did I just buy and expensive counter accessory?).   The handy, dandy recipe booklet has many ideas -- but I do have a couple of other questions:

1. Can you obliterate soft tofu in the blender to up the protein in your smoothies, ricotta bakes, or pudding-like stuff?

2. What's the worst thing you ever made in the blender?  You know, sounded great but tasted disgusting?

Thanks!  And as I experiment, I'll let you know the results!

acbbrown
on 9/7/12 6:32 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 I will only drink my protein shakes blended ...almond milk and ice. 

Then I just play around with various protein powders, SF syrups and artifical sweetner. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Bellaluna468
on 9/7/12 11:42 am, edited 9/7/12 11:43 am
RNY on 10/26/12
 I love my vitamix....but I'm pre-op.   I hope to find more protein shake recipes without so much fruit.  I have a protein ice cream recipe with avocado...but can't find any really good ones with very low carbs.

I did see a recipe with big train protein coffee ice cream on OH yesterday.

kcquilter
on 9/7/12 7:06 pm
 I also just recently got a vitamix, so far have used it mostly for mixing protein smoothies & drinks.  Have also used it to make home made salsa, chop some veggies for other recipes.  Would eventually like to try grinding my own almond flour etc.  I hope you get suggestions.  I love how easy it is to clean after using.

Bobbie
Feystorm
on 9/7/12 7:27 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I also only drink blended protein shakes.  And I have found that I basically only really like them when I make them with my coffee ice cubes.  lol  - just a weird one, am I.   

I have used my magic bullet to mix soft tofu for dishes for my vegan friends.  I am not a fan myself - but it seems to work great for them (they liked it anyhow). 

As for my worst experiment: I tried an almond joy recipe someone gave me for protein shake.  I tried it with and without my coffee cubes.  Either way - it was too coconutty or gritty or something - I couldn't stand it.  I didn't finish either of them and dumped them.  lol

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

loverofcats
on 9/7/12 9:00 pm, edited 9/7/12 2:01 am
I have a Vitamix and recently started putting in about a cup of spinach in with protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, and some frozen strawberries or blueberries. Sometimes, I will put in some Greek yogurt, depending upon my exercise level for the day. I added to spinach for additional nutrition and because I just wasn't getting enough veggies. The spinach doesn't really change the taste very much, but will color the shake a bit on the green side, depending upon the amount of spinach added to it. The vitamix does a great job of blending the spinach. Early on, shakes made in a blender were a bit too thick, so shakes made using a blender bottle were more tolerable. Since I am further out, I can tolerate the shakes made in the blender. If it is too thick, just add more liquid.

Soft tofu would be great in a shake. I have tried it a few times for the added protein and consistency.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Latse
on 9/8/12 6:16 am
VSG on 06/18/12
never put a ready to drink premier protein shake in the blender, you get a blender full of foam and bubbles.

Starting/Highest Weight 340, Surgery Weight 306,
Post op:
M1-20lb, M2-14, M3-15, M4-11, M5-10, M6-10, M7-8, M8-4, M9-4, M10-5

sunnymicki
on 9/8/12 8:24 am
I have done frozen spinach, vanilla protein powder, strawberries or blueberries, and milk.  You can't really taste the spinach, and it is excellent for you.  Sometimes i crush ice in the blender and use it to make a protein slushie - the syntrax fruity flavors are perfect for that.

As far as the worst?  A VSGer in one of my post-op nutrition/diet classes said he attempted to blend up an entire piece of pizza, crust and all.  But he didn't actually admit to drinking it.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

happyteacher
on 9/8/12 9:18 am
 My 17 year old daughter could put on a clinic on how to make a protein smoothie or shake.  They are fantastic.  Mine, not nearly as good.  Can't help, but one of my favorites that she makes for me is vanilla protein powder, Trop50 lite orange juice, dole frozen fruit chunks from Sams, and not sure about ice cubes.  She does this sorbet protein thing for me too that is very good- no idea how though.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

MuttLover
on 9/8/12 2:09 pm
VSG on 11/14/12
 Thanks you all!  I tried it out this AM and just put one frozen banana, about 6 frozen strawberries, a small container of Greek yogurt -- and man, oh, man!  It was banana, strawberry ice cream for me and hubby!  LOL -- I rarely (practically never!) eat bananas because of the carbs, but hubby eats one every day.  

I'm thinking that the greek yogurt with some protein powder and splenda will be a great base!

Best of luck in everyone's journeys!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views