VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Wanting to gain wei...

Wanting to gain weight. Am I crazy??

NanaDebby65
on 9/7/11 1:13 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
I honestly am kinda stuck in this "I'm just not sure what I want to do" limbo thing. I am very happy with my 98 lb weight loss but I'm not happy about the way I look. Yes I know most all of us have some issues on how we look but honestly everytime I look in the mirror my first thought is I look sick. My rib bones stick out further than my now invisable boobs. I cannot find jeans in a 2/4 that fit/feel right on me so I am wearing super baggy 6's.

I'm really at a loss on this. I keep thinking normally you have a bounceback at about 2 years. I only have 5 months until my 2 year anniversary, so should I stick it out until then and see how I feel or ????

The thought of purposely gaining 10 lbs is scary as well. Will that create a whole new monster and sabotage the good eating habits I have worked so hard at? I just dont know. What are your 2 cents??

Debby
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
mini_me_ now
on 9/7/11 1:30 pm

As much as i think you need to be happy with the way you look, speaking from someone that has gained weight back  and then in the pros of losing it  again... you can not guarantee where it will go back on..

for me it went straight to the boobs and the stomach the two places i really didnt want or need it to go and is coming off again in different places .. like last christmas i had my rings resized after being at goal now they starting to twirl around my fingers again,,  its not really coming back off my boobs as much im losing more off my butt again lol... but it has come back off my stomach..

but i have decided that 138 is low enough for me when i get back there  i dont need to try and go any lower   (previous my lowest was 134 but my average was 136-137)  im already wearing a size 4 in my jeans and i have no desire to get any lower than that.. 

so maybe you can wait it out and see if your fat redistributes and see if your more happy with that.. but if your truely not happy try only going up a couple of pounds and see where it fills in on you first.. 2 lbs is not so hard to get off again..
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

NanaDebby65
on 9/7/11 10:09 pm - North Richland Hills, TX

Hi Linda! I'm 5'5 and average between 130-132 on any given day. I might play around with the idea of only a couple of pounds just to see what happens. Great idea!
Thank you!
Debby

loverofcats
on 9/7/11 2:44 pm
What is your BMI? Are you doing any exercise, specifically, weight training? Weight training can add some muscle mass, so that your clothes look better on you, and you have some muscles covering your bones. My flat butt syndrome is improving, since I have developed some muscle mass on my upper gluteus and my pants look better on me.

Have you spoken with a dietitian?
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

NanaDebby65
on 9/7/11 10:06 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
My current BMI is 22. I do exercise but mainly walking. Usually 4 miles 4-5 nights per week. I know I need to do some weight training. I'm def going to work on that. Maybe it will help change my perceptions some.

I do see my nut on a regular basis. He is ok with my weight/height ratio right now but has def told me not to lose anymore weight. He knows how I feel right now but asked me to give it a few months before we make any adjustments.

Thank you!
Debby
diane S.
on 9/7/11 4:20 pm
i had the same worry and talked to my doctor about it. he said i was not to thin but that i could gain a few if i wanted to but i didn't need to and i was at a healthy weight. so i decided to stay where i was. then i started a new medicine and now have gained two pounds in three weeks with no increase in calories. so be careful what you wish for . i am 22 months out and am worried that my new medication may cause me to gain weight as it may have in the past. if you do decide to gain weight my surgeon said to do it with complex carbohydrates. I would wait until two years and then talk to your doc.    Diane

NanaDebby65
on 9/7/11 10:13 pm - North Richland Hills, TX

You know Diane, this is one of the things that REALLY scares me. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been off a lot of the crappy meds since surgery. Unfortunately I'm starting to have a lot of pain (right hand/shoulder/hip) so I know I'm in a flare and really need more meds but I dont want them. I know the prednisone alone makes you retain fluid and makes you more hungry. Thank you for bringing this up. I'm really going to rethink this now because of the side effects of very near future meds.

Debby

diane S.
on 9/8/11 2:39 am
You are wise to be concerned about the prednisone as its notorious for causing weight gain. but having said that I sure wouldn't avoid it if its what you need for your arthritis. I too have it in my hands and have had a few cortisone shots so far and am not sure where its headed.

If your bmi is 22, thats totally normal and by no means to thin. mine was 21 or something and doc says its not too thin. i really would wait until trying to gain weight. My face got sort of wrinkly (i am 59) so I am using retin-A to help smooth those and it works.    Diane

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 9/8/11 1:07 am
 Debby - not sure about the pain & meds issue but I don't think you should deliberately gain weight because you are not that far out. I am past 3 years and I find things keep changing.

if your body wants to weigh a little more it will happen anyway, is what I'm saying.  I also think you need more time to get used to the weight loss - it's a huge change and getting used to how it looks doesn't happen right away.

just re-read your post and you are only 1 1/2 years out!!  Debbie, you are FINE. give yourself at least another year of doing the good habits and getting used to how you look which is probably not sick. do not attempt to gain more weight and don't worry if you do.

post here or on the MB re finding clothes that fit: maybe you can shop in teens or get things altered?  for jeans, take your measurements and then maybe post for suggestions.

relax!!!  
have you enjoyed your weight loss today?  

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Maintaining Cindy
on 9/8/11 1:30 am
Hi Debby,

So nice to see you!  Big hugs.

I agree with some of the others, I personally would not try to gain weight 'yet'.

Since I reached goal several things have happened:
1.  I originally looked too thin
2.  With every passing month I filled back out in the face, butt and unfortunatley the thighs and tummy.  Your weight will re-distribute again and you won't look and feel so boney.  Just give it time.
3.  Life threw me a curve ball and I went off plan and gained a bit.
4.  I did not have it in me to 'diet' again and kept that weight on.

I think you need to do what is best for you, but I would wait a bit longer and see how your weight distributes itself over time.

Good luck with the clothes shopping!

Cindy