VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Out-There sleevers ...

Out-There sleevers (meaning veterans) Whats the one food thing you cannot do without?

diane S.
on 10/9/11 6:09 am
Ok all you experienced sleevers, whats the one or two or three food items you depend on most to keep you on track? I think we all develop a routine and kind of do some of the same things for breakfast and lunch and permitted snacks. So what are the things that help the most (notice I didn't say things you couldn't live without because we don't want that attitude.)  But we all have our favorites. Here are mine:

toasted almonds   i get raw ones from costco and nuke them

red grapes - sweet and very filling and low calorie and available year round (not bad in fermented form either)

peanut butter. yep you read that right even though I just noticed its at the very top of my surgeon's no-no list for weight loss phase. I have a blob per day as a snack because it leaves me feeling really full and sated and also like i have had some great dessert and it has protein and no cholesterol. Also no prep time. I started this to add calories when I needed to stop losing. Now I gotta have it but because it is so filling I can and must stop with one blob.

So what are your old reliables?

Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

novascotiadawn
on 10/9/11 6:31 am, edited 10/9/11 11:23 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hi Diane,

Love peanut butter, but, its a red light food in my house!!!

You got me thinking!!!...

Coffee....Does that count as a bean???...LOL

Asian pears...Sooo crispy and juicy..

edamame - wasabi flavor

Soy nuts- BBQ flavor

Greek yogurt, flavored with sugar fee Jello flavors...MMMmmMM Pistachio

Eggs!!! 

Shriataki noodles!!

*EDITED* Coleslaw, sliced meats, canned tuna, dill pickles, cheese, salsa, cottage cheese.

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

diane S.
on 10/9/11 12:03 pm
hey I too cannot live without coffee. and i put half and half in it. and i did that all the way through weight loss. the one thing i just couldn't part with. of course i tracked it and counted the calories and all that. still do. but i was addicted to it pre weight loss, so as far as i am concerned, coffee is as necessary as water.     cheers!  diane

Krazydoglady
on 10/10/11 2:01 am - FL
Amen, Sister.  I gave up coffee for a very long 60 days (1 mo pre-op, 1 mo post-op), but I drink quite a bit.  There's an article on the huffington post today about the health benefits of coffee including far lower incidences of depression in women who drink 4 cups of coffee or more a day, just as a note.

I also use half and half, and while I don't measure it all that precisely I estimate it and track.  It doesn't seem to have slowed me down, at all.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Marie B.
on 10/9/11 6:32 am - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with
Gotta be roasted nuts, though they can be a two edged sword, peanut butter, another double edged sword, and cottage cheese.
Highest weight ever recorded: 224lbs.    Surgery weight: 194 lbs.
Goal range:  130-135 lbs.
  Lowest:119.7   Current weight 142lbs Height: 5' 2" almost

Still Fawn
on 10/9/11 7:11 am - SIERRA MADRE, CA
Cheese.. Dairy in general- I would not meet my protein goals daily without my eggs, cheese, anf milk.. I also lve walnuts and pistachios.. And pecans.. Nom, nom, nom!

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/11 7:11 am
Every morning I have two hard boiled eggs with two wedges of laughing cow cheese mushed together. 

Two shots of espresso with chocolate soy milk and three splendas

sprouted almonds

frozen turkey meatballs

artichokes

I love ice cream, so my "better" choice is the mint chocolate skinny cow pops at 100 calories each.

when I want chips, I reach for seaweed instead

ThinLizzy
on 10/9/11 7:43 am - Benicia, CA
The Costco frozen shrimp wonton soups. They are high in sodium but I don't drink much of the broth. When I eat one of these, I feel like I've had a meal, for only 100 calories. And they always soothe my tummy if I have a lot of acid, a real comfort food sensation for me. I often have one in the evening when I get the munchies. I'm still a fan of the TJ's seaweed for a low calorie snack that gives me the satisfaction of chips. And tzatziki, which I put on anything dry, like chicken. Sunflower seeds. Beef jerky.

Lizanne

Starting BMI-38.5, Surgery 08/14/07

mini_me_ now
on 10/9/11 7:59 am
for meat I love my steak, and chicken they are my go to meats.. I also love hot chai tea with a tablespoon of unsweetened almond milk and 2 splenda I start my day with 2 large cups  and drink them when ever i want through out the day...

I guess my other old faithful would have to be premier protein shakes its the one thing that i have had from about 1 month out and i can still drink them.

I also love pb but for now at least im staying away..
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight

Elaine2
on 10/9/11 9:10 am - Atlanta, GA
Hey Diane--
Not exactly a vet but "out there" time-wise.

4 items that I have to have--beyond the regular protein requirements.

----Greek Yogurt due to the flexibility in sweet or savory
----Edamame...dry roasted for the crunch or steamed for a veggie
----My breakfast and am snack-Lean Body protein shake. I know that sounds strange but it settles my GERDy stomach and just makes me feel good. I like the taste which is a bonus.
----Stranger yet...SF syrups of multiple flavors...they change up even the shake and yogurt