VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » I feel like a frell...

I feel like a frellin' pig

ruggie
on 4/8/12 3:30 pm - Sacramento, CA
Ok.

So my weight goal was 160.

And I slid right on by to 155, which was my "do something" point.  And it's mostly my fault as I've been exercising and didn't really increase my calories on those days, and I hardly increased my intake at all during transition.

So, I met with my surgeon who hammers into my head to eat things like nuts and some protein with a bit of carb before working out.  Spoke to him on Friday.

So I've been eating more food (and drinking less protein shakes), and having healthy snacks like nuts.  But.  I honestly feel like a pig.  My brain is giving me trouble with this.  I think I programmed myself down so tightly during weight loss and focused on hitting my goal that I've not made it easy to adapt to eating more.

I mean, when in my life was I ever supposed to eat more food?

I know a lot of this is that mental desire to not ever allow myself to be a 'regainer' - if you had this issue like me, how did you successfully convince yourself to have the faith to eat more?

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

MacMadame
on 4/8/12 4:08 pm - Northern, CA
 In my case, two things happened... one, I got really thin and it scared me a bit and, two, over time I got hungrier.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

ruggie
on 4/9/12 3:39 am - Sacramento, CA
Did feeling hungrier make scare you? 

MacMadame
on 4/9/12 4:25 am - Northern, CA
Yes, it did at first. But I came to see it as a good thing. It's nice to be able to listen to the signals your body gives out.

My body used to lie to me all the time and tell me I was hungry when I was not. But now it usually tells me I'm hungry because I need fuel. So that's a good thing.

Of course, I still have to deal with my body sending me messages that I interprete as hunger that are not. But that's me lying to myself, not my body lying to me.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

ruggie
on 4/9/12 4:49 am - Sacramento, CA
This is good to hear - Thanks Madame

louisamay
on 4/10/12 8:53 am
VSG on 04/27/12
"My body used to lie to me all the time and tell me I was hungry when I was not. But now it usually tells me I'm hungry because I need fuel. So that's a good thing."

I'm not certain if I'm supposed to be commenting on these threads since I'm pre-op, but I just wanted to let you know that this is one of the most encouraging and illuminating things I've read. Thank you!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

diane S.
on 4/8/12 4:46 pm
Well  I did this too and kept losing without intending too and had to find myself stuff I could eat because i was still seriously restricted and was trying so hard not to do junk. Glad to say i didn't do junk food, gradually was able to eat a little more including my evening blob of peanut butter or some cheeses and nuts. And it does seem difficult at times but i promise it will become easier. Somewhere around two years it seems its lots easier to eat more and food gets more interesting and you get used to being slim and start wanting to eat more.

It takes maybe 3 or 4 months to get your maintenance routine down and to figure out how much to eat and when. I got down to 117 which is bmi 20 or close and put a few pounds back and feel fine now. You will get there. After all, you need at least double the calories you were eating in weight loss phase and probably more and its not easy to eat that much more overnight.

Later when you are more tempted by inappropriate foods you will be glad you developed good habits and are accustomed to limiting food intake. 

diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

bunnymom
on 4/8/12 11:50 pm
Diane--what is your BMI now?  What is your daily calorie intake now?  What percentage has your skin "sprung" back in the last few years since the original weight loss?  Do you still push yourself to get 64 ounces water in every day?  Thanx!
Bunnymom            
diane S.
on 4/9/12 1:08 am
Hi, bmi is about 21. I stay under 1200 calories. any more and i gain. my skin has rebounded a little but at age 60 still saggy and will be unless I get cut. No I don't push the water as much as I should. I live in a cool moist climate but try to keep water or iced tea around. Thats about it.  Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

bunnymom
on 4/9/12 7:36 am, edited 4/9/12 7:37 am
Yes Diane, thanx for answering back.  I am 64 and do not expect my skin to magically spring back either.  I am able to cover the most of it up with cool clothes.  Love leggings and spanx.  I still get 64 ounces water/coffee in per day, but plan on slacking back a bit on that soon.  ( I am 14 months out now).  I think they want us to push water when our protein intake is large, to flush the kidneys.  For awhile now my protein intake has been comparatively wimpy at around 45-65 grams per day.  (My serum levels are good however, so I kinda quit worrying about it.) I prob do not need to continue to flush fluids.  Still just doing it out of habit and I still want to lose another 10 pounds.  Also, one last question:  how many grams protein/carbs do you now do per day?  You have prob told us somewhere on this wonderful site, but I cannot remember exactly.  Thanx for all your insight and cheerful good humor.
PS--I live on southern Oregon coast, so we are practically neighbors!  Yes, cool moist air--great for the skin!
Bunnymom