VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Watch me turn into ...

Watch me turn into a jerk

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/12 7:23 am
So true Ingirl!  So true......
laurak712
on 4/25/12 3:01 am - New Braunfels, TX
That's some funny **** Ruggie.  I gotta stay off the main board for the most part cause it makes me sick to read some of the stupid crap people do and think...mind boggling really. 

Laura

Height 5' 7

Newme209
on 4/25/12 3:04 am - NJ
I have to say this post is how I've felt more times than not.  I haven't been around here just for that reason.  And when sound advice is given, it's taken as mean and insensitive.

I don't see why people don't understand that if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Touché Ruggie

I'm 5'6.5 
HW 253   SW 238 (-15 lbs preop)   CW 153

Final goal: 150-155 ...MET 153 (-100lbs) 11/24/11)

ruggie
on 4/25/12 5:33 am - Sacramento, CA
Like we all tell each other, this surgery addresses the body, not the mind.  And in Western culture, we always are so ready to treat the body, and so resistant to treat the mind.  Even admitting that you might have a mental issue is a big deal in our culture.  And we can "see" that here on the forum even - sometimes you don't even have to be sitting face-to-face to someone reading their body language, or listening to the tone of their voice on the telephone to know that they really aren't ready yet for surgery.

You really see this sometimes in some of the post-ops around the two week point  - where they have gone without "good" food for a couple weeks now, and they essentially have for all intent and purposes is an adult temper tantrum - because they cannot have they the food they are still so in love with.  My heart really goes out to those people - because at that singular moment they are in a lot of pain... on the other hand, did they not prepare themselves for this ahead of time like others did.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Krazydoglady
on 4/25/12 3:27 am - FL
I'm guessing I'm a bigger ***** than you are an asshole because I tend to think of some of this in purely Darwinian terms. 

I also live with a very smart, talented man who is a non-compliant diabetic (not obese, A1C around 11). He ran out for ben and jerry's at 10pm last night AFTER eating one of my no-sugar added Klondike bars.  After being diabetic for 10 years, he still can't accept that he's not normal, will never be normal, and that the ongoing damage he does to his body may not kill him, it may cripple of blind him. 

At some point you have to accept that even smart people can be really stupid about their health and well being. How many vets would that apply to before making the decision to have VSG? Just because we get religion, doesn't mean it's the universal faith.  

RE: DS'ers I find it really funny when they say, "I know I couldn't have done this with just VSG" or writing VSG off as just 'diet and exercise.'  Really You know that how? Did you try it? Ever heard of 'ghrelin'?   The 'revisions' that I see getting DS almost all have purported mechanical issues or were non-compliant. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

ruggie
on 4/25/12 5:47 am - Sacramento, CA
Man - you must be pretty strong - I don't think I'd be able to live with someone watching them hurt themselves like that.

On the other hand, I have been that person at 310 pounds sometimes literally shoving food and beer into my belly.  Still, to watch it in another you care about - wow.

I like to think about it as people are lost in the forest.  We walk around randomly, and some happen to take the lucky turns and get out of the forest sooner than others who left the left path instead of the right path.  Others though decide to hire a guide and speak with people that understand the layout of the foreset, and rely on them to get them out of the forest quicker.

Re: DS'er - I agree with you on the revisions, but you wouldn't think that's the case from the postings made by DSers on the Main Forum.  I mean, I've seen some DS people argue that it's the best surgery because they didn't have to make any changes to their eating habits - they still eat the same kind of food and the same volumes.  Ugh.

Pkrplyr777
on 4/25/12 6:54 am - CT
My husband is just like that! this surgery did not "cure" his problem but it most certainly curbed it and it makes him stop and LOOK at it. The entire process since the surgery has opened his eyes. That's what I see he would never admit it.

He is still losing weight. He still can't eat what he used to. And THANK the POWERS that BE, dessert comes AFTER meat! LOL.
He never orders dessert anymore and he can only eat so much.

I thank the obesity gods everyday for my husbands sleeve.
He will never be skinny, slim or even "normal" but honestly....He will be with me a lot longer now.

donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
ruggie
on 4/25/12 8:24 am - Sacramento, CA
And really - that's what's important.

For me - I'm Type A personality, over-achiever, I had to get to goal.

But the real goal for all of us to is be healthy and live longer.  I'm glad that regardless of anything else that your husband is successful in the majority need.

Pkrplyr777
on 4/25/12 9:21 am - CT

Ok, so now I love you Ruggie.
Now you see my true goal.

If nothing else survives me when I am gone from this world, know that I love my husband. He is the BEST thing that ever happened to me.  I would crawl over nails naked for him OR get a VSG. LOL

He will be with me for a very long time I think. Thank you VSG.
donna

HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
ruggie
on 4/25/12 9:32 am - Sacramento, CA