VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » An experiment, and ...

An experiment, and the results

KathyA999
on 7/11/12 12:40 pm
So I've been in maintenance for several months now.  My weight fluctuates by 4 lbs, from 132 - 136.  Since surgery I have logged my food rigorously on SparkPeople.

About six weeks ago I took a flyer and decided to stop logging my food.  I figured WTH, I eat pretty much the same stuff every day, day after day, and my weight is stable, seemed like a waste of time to keep logging.  The day I started, I was at the higher end of my range, 135.8.

And so I gained 3 lbs in a month!  Not because I suddenly dove head-first into sugar and flour, I still stayed away from that, but I did start eating things like cashews by the hands-full, dried and fresh fruit, dry Cheerios in the evening, tortillas, and popcorn.  Oh the popcorn, LOL!  I felt such freedom from the computer!  And of course, because I wasn't logging I don't really know precisely what-all I ate. 

For me, seeing 139 on the scale was a warning shot over the bow - headed for 250 lbs captain! - that needed addressing RIGHT NOW, so I IMMEDIATELY started logging my food again, and am  low-carbing it for real right now.  I have lost those 3 lbs but hoping to get back to the lower end of my comfort zone. 

Just another example of how careful I have to be, and the fact that the good Dr. A didn't operate on my head. If I want to retain these wonderful benefits I have been given thru this surgery, the price I pay is logging and low-carbing.  Cheap enough, IMO.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

diane S.
on 7/11/12 1:22 pm
Thanks for posting this. At over 2.5 years i still journal all my food. I may do so forever. Lack of journaling is one thing that people who suffer regain seem to have in common. Not saying you can't maintain without journaling but it can sure help.   

Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

bunnymom
on 7/11/12 3:14 pm
thanx gals for that reminder about logging our food. I was contemplating maybe ditching the journaling in a few months, now I don't think I will be so quick to do so. thanx.
Bunnymom            
Ms. Poker Face
on 7/11/12 10:26 pm
I have found that journaling makes me obsess about food - mostly about how much I can still eat that day and be ok. If I get to nighttime and have some calories or carbs or protein left, I hunt for things to eat just because I can.

So I backed off. I journal only occassionally now.

To keep the scale in check, I have set a number that I won't go above. If I'm under that number, I eat on plan with an occassional indulgence. If I'm close to or at that number, I eat on plan. If I'm above that number, I go back to basics.

So far so good but only time will tell if this is a good strategy.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 7/13/12 10:59 pm
On July 12, 2012 at 5:26 AM Pacific Time, Ms. Poker Face wrote:
I have found that journaling makes me obsess about food - mostly about how much I can still eat that day and be ok. If I get to nighttime and have some calories or carbs or protein left, I hunt for things to eat just because I can.

So I backed off. I journal only occassionally now.

To keep the scale in check, I have set a number that I won't go above. If I'm under that number, I eat on plan with an occassional indulgence. If I'm close to or at that number, I eat on plan. If I'm above that number, I go back to basics.

So far so good but only time will tell if this is a good strategy.
 I like this - I was always resistant to this and this is why, it's obsessive to me. 

I think it's a good reminder that people are different and we each need to find out own way to deal with long term.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Pkrplyr777
on 7/11/12 11:27 pm - CT
I do the same thing Ms. Poker does.
I keep and eye on the scale and if it creeps up to the high end I go back to basics and it comes right back down.
Gearing myself up to lose the last five lbs when I get back from this vacation.
I'll be journaling for that.
donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
Lee ~
on 7/12/12 12:12 am - CA
 I still feel the need to journal daily as well as weigh each morning.  The combination of those two things give me boundaries that I am comfortable with for now.  I know that when I don't journal I eat a little more snacky type things and that does not work well for me.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

loverofcats
on 7/12/12 12:55 am
I started journaling my food intake pre-op, which helped me to lose the required weight for surgery. I continue to journal to this day, because it works for me, keeps me mindful, has helped me to maintain my weight loss, and it is a characteristic of people that maintain significant amounts of weight loss long term. It isn't for everyone, but it works for me, and I will continue to do it.

When the weight has started creeping up, I can go back to the journal and look at what I have been eating and make the necessary changes, so that I can maintain within a 2 lb window.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/12 2:51 am
I stopped journaling a few months into maintenance, but I weigh myself every single morning and eat according to the scale.  It seems to keep me in check, if the weight started creeping up, journaling would be the very first thing I would start doing again.  Thank you for the post, it's a great reminder.
Happy966
on 7/12/12 10:29 pm

Thank you for posting this.  My gf asked me if I was going to continue logging my food forever.  Forever is a long time, but I kind of think I'll have to.  Historically (pre-VSG), I always "fell off the wagon" when I wasn't logging, because like you, I would stop measuring portions, etc.  However, it can make me a little crazy too - I do tend to eat every single calorie I have available, which is a little compulsive too.  Thanks for the insight.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206