VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » I need a little sup...

I need a little support!!

debibridev
on 2/1/16 7:47 am

I have been maintaining my weight loss for 6 years, however, since August I have put on almost 8 pounds. I think it is because I am going through Menopause and a few other stresses but I am starting to freak out because I am so afraid I am going to gain it all back. I know I need to get back on track before that happens but I am having a hard time focusing. So please help me to help myself and give me some tips before I spiral out of control! I know you understand what I am going through!

Spencerella
on 2/1/16 9:23 am, edited 2/1/16 1:43 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Welcome Deb! We're glad you found us!  It sounds like you've done an amazing job of maintaining over time and I'd say your eight pound gain is completely fixable!  It seems that such things are part of most lifetime journies so please remember that. 

To get you started - Whenever I have to lose some weight (typically about five pounds) I start by eating nothing but dense protein for a few days. I eat all of it that I want, but nothing else until my head hunger and cravings subside. I get on the scale every day and I'm usually rewarded with a fairly substantial loss within a week.

I'd also suggest checking in here every day for accountability and encouragement. As you know,the first few days are super tough but if you can white knuckle through them, the rest of the process gets easier.  Keep reminding yourself of all you've accomplished and why it's important to take this regain off now.  

Kairk has been successfully dealing with a larger regain, so I'm sure he will be able offer much more wisdom than I've been able to. Eight pounds is completely fixable and if you tighten things up again after you get it off you will likely do just fine!  Those good habits may be a bit rusty but they are still there. 

Edit - should have added that I usually start dieting when I have a few days where I can be 'low energy' - no tempting social functions and I stay close to home with a 'clean' fridge and cupboard where there's nothing to tempt me. I also sleep a lot, give myself a pedi, etc. to sooth myself and distract as necessary. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/16 10:29 am

Hi and welcome! You are in the right place! 

As someone *****ally had a hefty regain (40+ pounds) and has been successfully losing it (-30 so far), I will help you any way I can. The first thing I would really urge you to do is look at your eating. I would suggest you not try to get back on track for a week. Instead, I'd like you to think about how you're eating, when you're eating, what is triggering you to eat, how you feel about when you eat in a way that you don't like, and journal about it. Seriously, keeping track of why and how you are eating and the emotions that your eating triggers will be key in helping you understand what's going on. (This doesn't have to be super deep emotional work. It's just work to get at the root of the issue, whatever it may be. For me it was deeply rooted, but I know for others it is simply behaviorally oriented.)

Once you go through that week, then I'd decide what you're willing to actually do to get that 8 pounds off. If going "back to basics" isn't what you can really live with, don't force yourself to do it. After 6 years maintaining you know what works for you. What works for me is staying away from sugar and counting calories and protein. I can tolerate a higher level of whole unprocessed carbs than many and I eat accordingly. Right now, though, I'm on a rather low carb plan to get the last bit off and that's working for me right now. Remember that a diet, eating plan, whatever you want to call it, can be flexible. There are not absolutes. 

Hope you hang around. 

diane S.
on 2/1/16 10:49 am

Hi and welcome Deb. I too am 6 years plus and this past year have regained about 6 lbs.  I know its because I got a little sloppy and ate some junk food on a number of occasions plus have slacked off on exercise.  Kairk is right.   Also I would encourage you to scroll through this group and look at old posts.  There are tons of good ideas and stories that may be helpful to you.  Stick around here and let us know how you are doing. 

The "change of life" can sure mess with your mind so try not to freak out and find some way to help relax that is not eating.  diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

brownblonde
on 2/1/16 11:30 am

I understand where you're coming from.  I had surgery in May 2010 and maintained my 126lb. weight loss from about August 2011-August 2014.  By this time last year I had put on about 4-5 pounds and then over the past year put on another 6lbs. or so.  It doesn't seem like a lot, but it's in the wrong direction!  And it feels like it won't budge and keeps going up!  I have started counting calories, convinced that the gods were plotting against me.  But much to my shock and fear...1200 calories is EASY PEASY to eat now.  In fact, I easily consume 1400-1500 calories on a daily basis, even with a focus on protein and even with splitting any meal out.  To make matters worse, weekends go up from there.  When I got really honest I realized how hard it is to stay within maintenance calories, much less cut them to lose weight.  I'm disappointed.  I didn't want it to be this easy to gain weight.  And I don't want to have to diet.  But apparently I do.  So I'm going back to basics and trying to really count my calories and really focus on protein.  I'm trying not to eat out since that is so hard to gauge the calories eaten and I really want to know how my body responds to different calorie levels.  I can't speak to hormonal changes, but I'd say first, be gentle to yourself.  Secondly, start honestly tracking your food intake.  Third, start weighing yourself every day (I find it much easier to weigh everyday because otherwise I think yikes I've gained weight over the weekend and I end up postponing it and gaining more.  Whereas if I weigh and I've gained overnight, I don't take it as seriously).  I think those items should help you decide where you need to work.  I found that I was eating a lot of extras that I didn't really ever take into account in my calories--for example, cream cheese on half a bagel thin, extra creamer in my coffee, the piece of leftover halloween candy.  I also know that I'm extremely sedentary so that needs to change.  

Paula1965
on 2/1/16 6:21 pm
VSG on 04/01/15

Welcome! You have already been given some great advice. I'm a newbie to the maintenance world and just want to congratulate you for maintaining for such a long time and seeking help so fast! Good for you!

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

debibridev
on 2/2/16 8:19 pm

Thank you guys for your advice, it is just what I needed. I will be monitoring my food intake a bit more closely and keep track of what I am doing. I guess I got a bit too comfortable! I was always weighing my portions and never ate over 4 oz at a meal, but lately I stopped doing that and I have just been eating freely without a concern in the world.. Well, lesson learned..(hopefully)! Thanks for being here!! I can share this stuff with you guys because I know you can relate to me unlike my family and friends who have not traveled this journey. I'll check back with guys and let you know my progress. Thanks again for all your support!