make room on the loosers bench - im home!

Tamilynn
on 4/12/09 7:54 am
Hey all! I have to first say I have missed ALL of you. I bought a new computer with my bonus and hubby tried to be nice and hook em both up to the internet so I could start using em as soon as I got home (he knows how addicted I am to OH) well he is not that computer savvy and now neither computer is accessing the internet. Grrr... Thank goodness for blackberry. I'm not crawling around to fix it in this state so I've called in dad for back up on monday! So for the most part surgery was uneventful... Some things unexpected... Walking into the OR if you have never been before is scary as hell. But they slipped me a nice ****tail to take the edge off. In recovery I felt like all I wanted to do was sleep. Couldn't keep my eyes open. turns out that morphine makes me EXTREAMLY tired. I was allowed a nurse to give me a shot of morphine every 4 hrs so I set my alarm to it. Every morphine shot would make me nauseous and gaggy for about 15 min but was well worth the releif it brought! If you have a low pain tolerance like me I would ask when they are gonna do your exrays and barium swallow. I was wisked away before my pain med came up from pharmacy and so I felt like I was on a torture table! It is definatly not easy to lay flat out (I still am sleeping elevated) and they had me laying on this table all streatched out for an hour with no main meds. Then it is a teaching hospital so I think that's why it took so long cause everything was explained (I guess good for me to cause I got to hear what they were looking at) I don't think the radiology guys quite understand gastric bypass cause the are like drink more, drink more... Till I said maybe you should call and ask someone just how big my stomach is now since you obviously can't see it on the screen) I don't think the student ment any harm but but beware of this crazy when she's in pain.the second day the nurse helps me to get out of bed and guess who stopped for a visit? Dear old AF! Horrible when you have a catheder. Removing the jacksonpratt drian hurt like a ***** it felt like they were rippin my guts out. I also have to speak to my surgeon, there are so many more people opting for banding now that I noticed the liquid diet wasn't quite for RNY. There were some full sugar juices and italian ice served to me that of course I didn't eat (make sure you look) Thank god for the nurses who forced me to walk cause that was the last thing I felt like doing. I did get one of those cool bariatric beds that turn into a chair. Pretty cool! I am home now and moving around more every day. I have noticed that one of my veins by where they had the iv in is swollen. Also one of my incisions looks like it might be getting infected, it looks kinda goopy. So anywhay I know that this is a lot of negativity but please take it with a grain of salt. I AM A WIMP! Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! I'm struggling but it is a battle I will win! Good luck to those who are up next! Best wishes Tami
KCowden
on 4/12/09 10:56 am
Welcom back!!  I was wondering where you were.

It sure is interesting to see how different each facility handles the surgery.  Regardless of the steps, we got to the same place.

dawnhouse
on 4/13/09 5:52 am - Panama City, FL
Tami, again, I'm glad you made it through surgery without any complications.  And I'm thankful for your post because I too, am a wimp.  We all hear the good stuff when the weight is coming off, but we need to know about the bad stuff too!  So thank you for sharing.  Wishing you a speedy recovery!  Dawn

Most Active
Recent Topics
strugling
windchimes · 2 replies · 725 views
Surgiversary Updates
Sephia · 2 replies · 876 views
April 13, 2009 people...
MelissaKM · 1 replies · 762 views
Stopped Losing Weight
free2bethin · 4 replies · 1291 views