Recent Posts

Leslie H.
on 3/15/05 1:20 pm - Round Rock, TX
Topic: RE: Snack Challenge--Time to Report!
Great job, guys! You really rose to the challenge. I sent the same challenge to my state board and only got about two replies back. I got some good ideas from this and hope others did as well. The challenge doesn't have to be over, though, so feel free to add more if you have 'em! ---- Leslie still -97
Leslie H.
on 3/15/05 1:18 pm - Round Rock, TX
Topic: RE: PLEASE HELP... HAIR PROBLEMS!!
My hair loss has stopped, but it does seem like my split ends are worse these days. I'm sure the drastic reduction in fat intake has something to do with it. I can go a couple of days without washing my hair before I notice any oiliness (don't worry, I still shower daily--I just don't wash my very long hair every single day ). I didn't used to be able to do that. Also, there's a woman on another board I frequent who had beautiful dreadlocks pre-op and said she had to cut her hair very, very short because her dreadlocks were so brittle they were actually breaking off! So I guess dry, brittle, frizzy hair is common after WLS. My plan is to get a few inches cut off and keep trimming it back regularly until the new growth is all that's left. I'm also conditioning more regularly and (as I mentioned above) not washing it with every shower. It dries out and frizzes even more if I shampoo it every day, even if I use moisturizing shampoos. Anyway, you're not alone. My suggestions are: (1) shampoo less frequently (if that's an option for you) or use gentler shampoo; (2) aggressively trim off split ends; and (3) get a high-quality moisturizing conditioner or hot oil treatment and see if those help. There are also leave-in conditioners that you apply to damp hair after your shower and leave in all day to protect and moisturize. I used to use one of those and haven't gotten around to getting some again. Let us know if anything helps! ---- Leslie still -97
Karin B.
on 3/15/05 9:40 am - San Antonio, TX
Topic: RE: Snack Challenge--Time to Report!
TCBY it is a frozen yogurt place. They have a fat free, sugar free frozen yorgurt. a child size that I can't eat all of has 100 cals and good calcium. Karin
Karin B.
on 3/15/05 9:36 am - San Antonio, TX
Topic: Help Question
Hi, I have been at a stall for the last month or so (I think 6 weeks). I won't call it a plateau because I have lost inches and 1 lb. Yes, only 1 lb. My question is I am 7 months out. I did not exercise before now and I have started. I walk, not fast or speed, but the kids to and from school, the dogs, I have 3 and I take each one seperately to keep myself out there. I have also started to lift weights. Building muscle I know, I can see it. I lift arms and legs for about 25 mins a day. I can see a big difference in flabby arms and my thighs are getting tone. I eat protien and take my vitamins. And even before surgery I never had a problem drinking water. Its a big part of my day. Would this muscle build up be the reason for no more weight loss? I thought it would help to speed things up? I also wonder my doctor says to expect to lose 70% of your excess weight. I have done that now. Am I done? Or can I expect to lose more? Thanks for your input. Karin
Nicole M.
on 3/15/05 8:29 am - Sacramento, CA
Topic: RE: August 9er's check in !!!!
Things are good! I have lost 128 lbs so far. I still want to loose another 50-55 lbs. To reach my original goal I would only have another 27 lbs, but I have ammended it. I have experienced an increase in appetite lately, especially at certain times of the month. I have also increased the intensity of my workouts, so that may explain it as well. I just need to stay focused and remember it is just food. When I do snack I try to make it a healthy one. I really feel I am doing well, and I cannot believe how fast this is all happening.
Christie G.
on 3/15/05 7:00 am - San Pedro, CA
RNY on 08/16/04 with
Topic: RE: PLEASE HELP... HAIR PROBLEMS!!
I have high-lighted naturally curly hair as well and was experiencing dryness and frizzies all of a sudden as well. I think it is the change in out diets. I have been using Aveda's cherry almond bark conditioning treatment for the dry/frizzies. It says to use every 5 shampoos but I use it every time. It has made a huge difference in my hair. Good luck, Christie 338/229/170
MsFetzer
on 3/15/05 4:52 am - sarasota, FL
Topic: PLEASE HELP... HAIR PROBLEMS!!
I am almost 7 months out (lap rny 8/18) down 86 pounds and aside from a 2 month long plateau (which just broke, Thank goodness) i have had no real problems until now... i am losing hair, which was no real surprise... i have very long thick curley healthy hair, so the loss didn't concern me too much.... however, last month it went frizz-crazy on me... it is dry brittle and frizzy... i had my hair colored by a professional (after having it ok'd by my dr) and we flat ironed it (both of which have been done many times before to my hair) right before this all happened, but even my dematologist agrees that it shouldn't have caused this problem... i am literally using the best conditioning products on the market and nothing is happening... has anyone out there heard of this happening to hair after surgery or is this just a coincidence? if so, does anyone know what i can do? please advise, i don't know what to do Thanks Laurie ps... (i am taking biotin to stop the loss)
Sharon27
on 3/15/05 2:03 am - Ponca City, OK
Topic: RE: August 9er's check in !!!!
I am doing well... I think... I have lost 95 lbs... before surgery I lost 55 so total of 150 lbs... still got a ways to go but I am feeling so much better..I am taking only 2 prescription meds and a year ago I was on 12...I do not do any protein drinks... my surgeon wants us to get our protein from real food... making a high protein/ low fat diet our life long diet...I eat cottage cheese almost every morning... It is what I tolerate best...I am eating mostly chicken and very lean beef....I am currently stuck on chili... Wendy's and home made..It is very low fat and high in protein... I get 60 gms or more of protein daily.. My 6 month lab work was all prefectly normal... I take a children's chewable multivitamin twice a day. I take in about 70 to 80 ozs of fluid daily. With my arthrits and fibromyalgia, it is hard to get all the exercise I need but I try to do all I can.. I have gotten a treadmill and am trying to walk daily... I am hoping to be able to do more soon.....We all like to compare with others but gotta remember we are all individuals and our success will vary... but focus on the SUCCESS you have and be glad for yourself as well as others... So I am glad we ALL are doing so well and that we made the decison to change our lives to a healthier lifestyle..
Lauraj64
on 3/15/05 1:50 am - Montgomery, AL
Topic: RE: 8/16ers - 30 week check in
I know how you feel, Justina. I haven't lost all that much since Christmas, but I sure "look" different than I did at Christmas. My body is "re-shaping" itself, and although it doesn't seem to be losing much weight, I am still losing inches and my body seems to be re-forming itself to a more "normal" look. I have been really concerned about my stomach, but now it seems that it is melting away. My "upper stomach" or upper abs, have melted and are much flatter, and I now have a real waist again. Other concerns are sagging skin, but I haven't had too much of that. I think it will take some time before I break my plateau again....little breaks here and there are OK. I am kind of sad that I am not losing at the same rate I did at first, but I have recently tried to bump up my exercise to include more aerobic activity----in order to jump start another weight loss. Keep up the good work! I know how hard it is! ~Laura
Yolanda S.
on 3/15/05 1:31 am - Neopit, WI
Topic: RE: WEIGHT STALL AT 7 MONTHS
Oh Boy have I ever! I have been stalled for more than that. I stalled at one point for 10 weeks straight. always bouncing around 2-4 lbs. but never losing. I've only just recently moved a couple of pounds. I wish you all the luck in the world. My prayers and thoughts are with you. Lovey 309/238/172
Most Active