Handling Cravings

jlewisjr
on 2/18/05 11:46 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Hi Everyone: Sorry to be posting so late today but I have been in a situation that I had to resolve so although I'm posting late , Happy Friday to all!!! I'm still doing well and am maintaining my regular trips to the gym, getting in my protein, water and vitamins. I'm now 15 months out and I'm finding myself getting the urge to have certain foods so right now I'm in the sandwich wrap phase. I find that the wrap is easier to get down because I have the urge for a sandwich without using bread that really makes me gag. I have half the wrap for lunch and the other half for dinner. I know that this phase will pass and another one will develop. I just make sure that whatever I eat is packed with protein. I guess what I'm saying is that it's OK to have something you might be craving as long as it is in "moderation" and healthy to boot. Depriving yourself may be more dangerous since once you give in to the craving you might overindulge. Just having a "taste" of something is all you need to satisfy your craving so you can get on with life and not feel miserable. I know that some may not agree with this thought but I discussed this with prople in my support groups and most of us have come to this conclusion. Till next time, Jesse 373/190/-183
sandra_92083
on 3/10/05 2:56 am - Hiram, GA
I don't think having cravings is a bad thing at all, especially when it's for something like a sandwich wrap! That's a fantastic thing to crave! It's when you start craving McDonald's french fries and a chocolate shake that you need to be careful! I think as long as you are aware of your intake, going through phases where you crave a certain thing is completely normal, and totally fine. I have noticed that I go through a lot of "phases" lately. I get stuck on one kind of juice and having the same breakfast item for months and months. (I have a lean pocket breakfast sandwich and a glass of orange juice M-F!) I think your body finds something that satisfies your taste, goes down well, and satisfies your nutrition needs and it grabs hold of that! We have all had plenty of occassions, I'm sure, where we tried something for the first time post-op and were very displeased with the outcome, whether it be taste, the way your stomach reacted, or there could be a million other reasons! I think cravings are fine, it's ok to have the same thing over and over while your body is asking for it - as long as it's healthy, high in protein, and low in fat! That's my 2 cents! - Rebekah
Most Active