I hope I'm not alone on this forum for too long...

SafetyTurtle
on 7/21/11 12:11 pm - Cincinnati, OH

Finally, after a 5 year wait (employer's eligibility requirements) I will be eligible for surgery mid-August, and the surgeon's office says I will be in surgery by mid-September.

I'm 29 y/o, 5'7'' and 360 lbs. My realistic goal weight is 175, my hopeful goal weight is 160, so a 200 pound weight loss.  I have yet to decide between RnY and DS; better decide before August 17th when I have my appointment with the surgeon!

Gina

Nathalie_Can
on 7/24/11 2:09 pm
Hi there,

I was waiting for someone to start September....lol

I'm having my RNY surgery on the 14th...in Toronto

CAN'T WAIT!  lmao

Hope you had a good weekend!
Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

SafetyTurtle
on 7/27/11 3:02 am - Cincinnati, OH
I am on pins & needles here until I see the surgeon on the 17th of August to get the date...

I still can't decide between RNY and DS.

Nathalie_Can
on 7/28/11 10:52 am
Which one is in lead for now?  lol

SafetyTurtle
on 7/28/11 11:42 am - Cincinnati, OH
I dunno, I think they're pretty even actually.  I had been planning on RnY for years, my Dad, stepmom, and friend all had it.  My friend who was around my age (nearing 30) when she had it has had fantastic results, well surpassed her goal weight and is healthy.  My Dad & stepmom were both older, and while both lost the majority of their goal weight, both have also gained back some of it.  They have remained active and still small meals, neither really drinks and aside from my stepmom's love of chocolate (in moderation), stay away from the junk.  The DS came up recently, and eases some of my fears (I have had a recurring dream for almost a year now that I have the surgery and immediately, like while still on the table, start gaining weight instead of losing and I end up even bigger).  I already walk daily, eat healthy, take vitamins...I'm ready for this. But the DS pretty much guarantees weight loss, and contiunous weight loss and maintenance, it can't be avoided b/c of the malabsorbtion.  I have no problems with the protein & vitamin requirements.  So it's pretty even back & forth between the two.

chunkymonkeylvr
on 7/31/11 7:53 am - KY
Hello!!! 

I am about done with the prereq that my insurance has for the surgery and I cannot wait!!! I have already talked to the surgeon and he understands I am working towards the 28th as my goal for surgery.  I teach and it fits with my fall break.

I am planning on the RNY, I wanted the DS but insurance will not cover it.  I am beyond excited!!! MY friend had it done this past Wednesday and is doing Fab!

Unline OP I have only been thinking about this for a year, and finally to take steps in March.
Nathalie_Can
on 8/1/11 12:04 am
Good luck with your decision Turtle, it's not an easy one.

Monkeylvr, isn't it exciting...

Do you guys in the States also have to take Optifast for an amount of time prior to the surgery?

kellyl1202
on 8/6/11 1:32 am
wow! you've been waiting 5 years! That is dedication! Best of luck to you.
Kelly L  
5'ft 1in   RNY 9/12/11
301 HW / 287.7 SW / 216 CW / 150 GW

Brandy S.
on 8/9/11 9:34 am - Sudbury, Canada
Best of luck to you. 
i will be having mine sept 26th :)
Brandyyy  
SafetyTurtle
on 8/10/11 10:26 am - Cincinnati, OH
Yup, dedication...I've been trying to lose weight for much longer than that, so not long in the grand span of things. 

I checked with surgeon's profile and it doesn't list DS...don't know about other surgeons in the group, but he himself comes highly recommended.  

Will find out next week!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
6 months update
nicole T. · 4 replies · 1106 views
Any other September stallers?
SafetyTurtle · 11 replies · 1521 views
Had surgery on sept 21
nicole T. · 2 replies · 1166 views
September 22
ddedmon · 2 replies · 1128 views