Recent Posts

Sarah C.
on 8/19/12 5:42 pm - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
Topic: RE: SEPTEMBER 8th!!!

Congrats fellow September-er!!  You're just 3 days behind me!  It's an exciting time for all of us!! 

Sarah C.
on 8/19/12 5:37 pm - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
Topic: RE: September 17th!!!!!
Food Funeral!!  I LOVE it!  My pre-op is THURSDAY and I just bought a ton of junk food at the grocery store. okay, not a ton, but you'll see what I mean if you read my blog.  I guess this was my "food funeral"  or at least my final one.  I've had a list of things I wanted to eat and have been spacing them out over the past 6 months, but alas...I keep coming up with more!

Yes, my anxiety level is a touch higher than normal....okay, it's friggin through the ROOF right now.  Seriously.  I'm so nervous about "the other side" that I'm already starting to have the "Oh, gosh what have I done??" thoughts.  and i've not even DONE it yet!  But i'm not backing out. I'm doing this.  I need it.  I want it.  and it's my time. 

I've been doing protein shakes every morning for years, so the protein shakes aren't an issue for me.  I've also been very good about taking my vitamins for a long time, however, those were a pill and I didn't have to chew the nasty thing!  Word to the wise - Don't buy the bariatric advantage pre-op mixed berry flavor.  You know how pop rocks and zotz fizz in your mouth when you eat them? That's what these do to me!  i literally have to take both at once and drink an entire bottle of water at the same time to get the taste out of my mouth.  I still have about 9 days worth.  It makes me thankful for the Celebrate Mandarin Orange I thought I couldn't stand before.  However, after my 3 month check, my surgeon allows people to go onto the capsules.  How great is that?!?  A coworker mentioned a vanilla flavored MV, but I don't remember which company she bought it from.  it was a bariatric one, as well.  She said it's fab.  she's 2+ years post op, so I figure she's tried them all. hehe

Okay.  Now that I, too, know I'm not the only one freaking out, i can breathe just a little bit more easily.  and I know I'm not the only one freaking out about the food situation! 

Here's to us!  September is OUR month!! 

BillieBadass
on 8/19/12 10:40 am - Maineville, OH
RNY on 09/17/12
 Oh, wow!  That sucks!  I hope the surgery takes care of your sleep apnea!  

I tried some Pure Protein chocolate shakes (RTD ones that I found at Target) today and I loved them.  They did have a little bit of a chalky aftertaste, but it was gone pretty quickly.  I felt full all morning too, so that's a bonus!  

As for vitamins, my nutritionist told me to start taking my calcium (Celebrate) and some pre-op multivitamins (Bariatric Advantage) a month or so ago.  She said it would help to get into the swing of things and build up my numbers/give me more energy.  I am just not very good at taking them yet.  ;)  Hoping that will change soon.
Barbara Keller
on 8/19/12 7:05 am - Gaffney, SC
Revision on 09/10/12
Topic: RNY Revision Sept 10
 Scheduled for revision on Sept 10
 Barbara Keller
Sheryl G.
on 8/18/12 7:22 pm - IL
VSG on 09/17/12
I had to see a pulmonologist as part of my preop testing, and he felt that I needed a sleep study. So off I went for that and was shocked to find that I have sleep apnea! I was pretty upset that it was going to delay my surgery because I then needed a second sleep study to fit for a mask and then at least 4 weeks of use before pulmonologist would clear me for surgery. The hospital wants me to bring my mask, but they do not allow you to bring your own machine (they will provide that), If losing weight cures my sleep apnea, I will consider it all a huge success! I hate the stupid thing!

I ordered some sample protein shakes as well, but I haven't tried them yet. I will probably try them during my preop diet and then order the ones I like the most. I ordered the chewable vitamins my surgeon wants me to use, but haven't started taking those yet. I think I'm supposed to start those when I start the preop diet? Need to go back and read the directions again.

If you change nothing, nothing will change.      

BillieBadass
on 8/18/12 6:33 pm - Maineville, OH
RNY on 09/17/12
 I feel the same way, lelagoddess!!!  I thought I was all alone on the Freak Out Express, so I'm so glad to have found other people on here in the same boat...or ummm...train?  IDK. ;)

If I were you, I'd just jump into the pre-op diet.  What's the worse that can happen? You get a head start on losing?  Although, as soon as I typed that I started counting how many days I have left of eating solid food (not to mention having a "food funeral" or two...bad I know, but I just had to say goodbye to brownie sundaes!) and yeah, I don't blame you for wanting to wait until you absolutely HAVE to do it! 

I'm supposed to start mine on Sept. 3rd, but I am planning to start replacing a meal or two with protein shakes/bars this Monday.  I figure, it is a nice, gradual way to lead up to the big pre-op diet, and I get to figure out which protein shakes I like the most.  And hopefully I will drop some extra weight before surgery time!

Oh, and I'm totally overbuying for post-op too!!!  I can't stop looking at blogs and reviews then trying to find the best deals online.  It's a new addiction!  

Life will be TOTALLY different for all of us in 6 weeks! So crazy to think about it like that!!!
BillieBadass
on 8/18/12 6:25 pm - Maineville, OH
RNY on 09/17/12
 Have any of you had to do a sleep study yet?  I have read lots about people sleeping with a CPAP or something before surgery, but my surgeon hasn't mentioned it yet.  Maybe he will cover it at our next (the pre-op info one) appointment???  

I just worry because I was diagnosed with sleep apnea years ago and my husband says that I stop breathing a lot at night.  No wonder I'm always tired!  I can't wait to have more energy!  

Just curious.  

Oh, and have you guys been trying protein shakes and whatnot?  I just ordered a bunch of single packets and RTD ones to try, but so far I love Unjury's Chocolate Splendor.  

I know some people HATE the protein shakes, but I don't mind them that much as long as I don't let myself smell them.  Now the chewable viatamins?  Yeah, that's another story!  HATE them all!  But I make myself take them.

Okay...sorry.  I'm ranting.  Happy less than one month til Loserville!!!
BillieBadass
on 8/18/12 6:21 pm - Maineville, OH
RNY on 09/17/12
 Awesome!!!  Congrats! 

Oh, and thanks for reminding me...I haven't scheduled my pre-op with my pcp yet!  I know what I'll be doing Monday morning!
BillieBadass
on 8/18/12 6:19 pm - Maineville, OH
RNY on 09/17/12
 Thanks, Chrissylyne!  Right back at ya!  

(And hello fellow Ohioan!)
Sheryl G.
on 8/18/12 6:00 pm - IL
VSG on 09/17/12
I'm September 17th as well! I need to have my preop surgeon appointment, preop NUT appointment, and then the hospital preop testing ... and oh yeah, also will begin the preop diet Labor Day weekend. It's finally feeling REAL to me! Glad to know some others who have dates close! Best to all of us!

If you change nothing, nothing will change.      

Most Active
Recent Topics
Sept 2012 Sleevers check in
lisa2job · 0 replies · 734 views
6 Months
Diabolique · 3 replies · 800 views
Problems with my incision
jewellee9 · 0 replies · 704 views