what was your biggest hurdle as a newbie post-op?

loveslit
on 4/1/14 10:59 pm - Orange, CA
Huneypie
on 4/2/14 2:34 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Frequent toilet trips - things settle down a bit once you're a few weeks out.  I used to have several visits in the AM and then I knew I was safe in the afternoon.

Now I only go once or twice a day.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

PattyL
on 4/2/14 6:23 am

For me everything looked up when I got that NG tube out.  It was the worst part of the surgery!

Hellwee
on 4/2/14 11:24 am

I'm collecting as much information as I can so I know what to expect with the DS surgery (if I am approved). Would you please tell me what the NG tube is?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

PeteA
on 4/2/14 6:49 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Once I was home it was finding the right dose of pain medicine. It made me nauseous the first couple of days home till I cut back. The second thing was not realizing I came out of surgery lactose intolerant.

More long term it took me a long time to get used to drinking just a little at a time. I was so used to gulping it was a big change.

jashley
on 4/2/14 12:05 pm
DS on 12/19/12

The diarrhea.  It got so old after a while.  I was sick of it.  I didn't dare leave the house till noon and I was effectively drained.

jenny1188
on 4/2/14 12:47 pm - mount laurel, NJ
VSG on 03/03/14

First week on preop liquid diet.   Surgery was no problem at all.  2nd day gas pains but you just have to walk it off no matter how much it hurts.  sip and walk.   Good luck.  It's much easier then you think !

Melanie74
on 4/2/14 1:26 pm

The nausea was much worse than I ever expected and it was harder for me to deal with than the pain sometimes. 

The bigger issue for me - and it was a surprise because I never had problems with protein shakes in my life - but after surgery I have an extreme intolerance for protein shakes. They make me vomit - I have tried MANY types and flavors - and it is really starting to worry me because I know I need more protein. I am 11 weeks out and some days I still am not sure I made the right decision with this surgery. I am hoping this gets better with time!

OmahaMama
on 4/3/14 3:59 am - NE

Nausea & vomiting by far were my biggest hurdles. It was like being pregnant all over again! I couldn't even hardly look at food without getting sick. I am a year out today! (I just realized that this very moment lol) I had nausea and vomitting pretty regual for the first 6 months and moderately so even now. I guess I'm just weak stomached. Finally found protein that works for me though! Isopure RTD glass drinks and the fruity Isopure powder mixed with ice and water into a slushie. Good luck to you!

Dannirn
on 4/5/14 10:38 pm - PA

Getting enough fluids and protein.  I had to constantly remind myself to eat or drink.  It got better after about 3 months once I figured out what agreed with me and what to stay away from.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 352 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 806 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views