I'm wondering about insurance.

Sargent
on 7/21/12 10:44 am - IL
Hello, I am new to this page and still trying to figure it out.  I am attending a seminar Tuesday for weight loss surgery. I live in Illinois and have Blue Cross Blue Sheild for insurance.  Im wondering if anyone knows if this insurance will cover the vertical sleeve surgery.  Thank you for any help.
ChristineB
on 7/21/12 1:09 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
Welcome to the board. The question needs to be asked of your insurance co because each person's policy covers different options.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Nancy G.
on 7/22/12 4:14 am - La Salle, IL
 Hello!

Welcome to the Illinois Forum!  

You are starting a wonderful journey.  This is a great place for information.  Please dont hesitate to ask questions.  

Chris is right on the insurance though.  Be sure to call your insurance company and ask if they cover weight loss surgery and ask for a written copy of the requirements for the surgery to be covered.  Usually insurance companies have steps that must be followed for this proceedure to be covered.  Keep the copy they send you because the coverage and the requirements are in effect from when you first start your journey.  Any changes to the policy should not effect the coverage you have today.  

Be sure you meet all of their requirements and that will insure that your insurance approves your surgery.

Come back and visit us often.  There is a daily roll call where we share what is going on in our lives, ask questions and give support to each other on all aspects of our lives.  The group is very friendly and supportative.   

Cat Lady

Phatchick
on 7/27/12 11:08 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
 I have BCBSIL and they approved my surgery in 2 days. They did not require me to wait 6 months for Nut visits and the only criteria they had was a psych evaluation. This new requirement changed on 02/01/2012. So instead of waiting 6 months, you could have your surgery much quicker depending upon your surgeon's criteria. 

My surgeon required a pulmonology consult and a cardiac consult. They, of course, required their tests, this took 2 months to complete. After I was cleared for surgery, it took 2 more months to get on the surgeon's schedule. 

I had my sleeve on 04/16. After insurance, my total was less than $100.00 that i owed. 

Every BC/BS is different, but if yours is IL then you should be good to go! 

Let us know how you do.

Best, 

Sharon

Sargent
on 7/29/12 10:31 am - IL
Thank you so much!! I am calling in the morning to set up my first apointment with the surgen. I do hope that it can be done that quicly. Im excited and looking forward to this new me!
Most Active
Recent Topics
LET'S RESTART THE IL. SITE
scaryreader · 0 replies · 1094 views
Wednesday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5617 views
Tuesday Roll Call
crystal M. · 2 replies · 5359 views
Sunday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 0 replies · 5391 views
Thursday Roll Call
LisaTucker · 2 replies · 5426 views