Has anyone ever had lap-band and then converted to gastric?

klyncassell
on 11/11/11 5:42 am - Martinsville, VA
I am thinking about changing from Lap-Band and going with Gastric.  Has anyone ever done this.  I just have not had the success that I would have hoped..
BuckeyeGirl
on 11/11/11 7:09 am, edited 11/11/11 7:09 am - TN
Loads of people revise from the band to another type of surgery (including me). I know there are a couple of band to RNY folks that visit the lap band board from time to time, but I think you'll find more responses if you ask this over on the RNY board.

Best of luck!
Lindsey

ETA: Oops...I see you only said "gastric" ...I don't know which procedure you are referring to as they all involve the stomach, but I assumed you meant the RNY.

grannymedic1
on 11/11/11 8:27 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
There are certainly people *****vise to gastric bypass, as well as other wls. You should carefully research until you can make an informed decision. Learn what it takes to succeed and what people who have failed surgeries have done. Know your realistic expectations. If you can do all that you will succeed with what ever you choose. Good luck!

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

TamaraL
on 11/11/11 9:35 am
i lost 54 pounds with the band and then stopped losing.  I ate like I was supposed to.  I exercised deligently.  Started having extreme, extreme pain around the band and stomach spasms.  I chose to revise.  I am so glad I did.

Do your research and make sure you understand the lifestyle changes.  Remember there is gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, duodenal switch.  make sure you understand why the band failed.  mine was 90% band 10% me and the grazing because of the problems with the band at the end.

The gastric bypass is a lifelong commitment to vitamins and you have to stay on top of food choices.   I had no problems with my revision and was very lucky.  I felt wonderful when I woke up from the surgery and within days was walking 2 1/2 miles and going to the mall.

tamara

klyncassell
on 11/12/11 4:55 am - Martinsville, VA
Did your insurance pay, or was you a self pay?
TamaraL
on 11/12/11 5:11 am
my insurance did pay.  I was lucky.  My insurance paid for the bypass and my dr accepted what they paid.  They did not pay for the lap band to be removed but my surgeon removed the band and did the bypass in 1 surgery.

There are 2 options with revision.  1 is to remove the band, wait 6 weeks.  THe other option is to do the revision in 1 procedure.

Tamara

Crystal B.
on 11/11/11 10:16 am - Bradley, WV
I am considering this myself due to slippage..found out today it must be removed.. I am very interested in researching  sleeve procedure..I have been successful in weight loss with band but have no desire to have another band put in and face the possibility of another slippage.  Be blessed in whatever choice you make and I wish you the best!! 

tripmom02
on 11/11/11 1:28 pm - NJ
 Gastric what? 

I am a band to sleeve revision and I am thrilled with my decision. 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Cheryl N.
on 11/12/11 1:50 am - Des Moines, WA

Me! Me! I revised to gastric bypass on Aug 1st after 2.5 yrs with the band.  I'm very happy with my decision.  The recovery was a little harder the 2nd time and we tend to lose a little slower since the revision isn't a virgin surgery.  I wish I had done the bypass in the first place.  It is awesome eating without throwing up and no more random tightness.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

klyncassell
on 11/12/11 4:55 am - Martinsville, VA
Did your insurance pay?
Most Active