Hi

Karen T.
on 5/19/11 10:55 am - Canada
  Hi all. 
 I just realized that there is an Ontario board on here lol.  I am fairly new to this forum. 
I go for my Surgery on May 30th.  I am getting really nervous.  I am on the opti-fast for 4 weeks. 
I live in Oshawa and am having my surgery at St. Mike's.  I had all my appointments at Toronto Western. 
Is there any advice you girls/guys can give to me that you wish you knew ahead of time????
Thanks,   Karen

paula-37
on 5/19/11 11:21 am - brantford, Canada
Hi Karen welcome to the ontario board.i want to wish you all the best of luck on your up coming surgery date of may 30th.it is perfectly normal to ve getting nervous.i wabt to send you hugs and positve vibes.when i was at your point in this weight loss journey as you are i  had to do the optifast for 3 weeks and i kept bussy by coming on here for support and spending time with my family.i am glad you came to this forum.i libr in brantford and i am almost three years out from my surgery.i had mine done in toronto at humber river.i am glad i got the rny done.take care of yourself.i hope i have helped encourage you in some way.
SINCERELY YOURS YOUR OH FRIEND ALWAYS
PAULA(paula-37)

Karen T.
on 5/19/11 11:24 am - Canada
Thanks Paula, for your very kind words and encouragement they really mean alot. 

Brandy S.
on 5/19/11 11:33 am - Sudbury, Canada
Hi Karen!!!!!
I just realized there was an Ontario board too. lol
I dont have a surgery date yet but am hoping to get one very soon, I met with the surgeon last friday and he said the surgery should be in the next couple months. I also have to do the Optifast for 4 weeks, that part I am not looking forward to, but Im sure after the first week it will get easier.
Dr.Grantcharov is my surgeon too... at St.Michael!!! Good luck!
Karen T.
on 5/19/11 11:55 am - Canada
I waited almost a month before my date Brandy.  It was hard and I called once.  It didn't speed things up at all.  :o( 
My journey started back in May 2010.  Yours has gone pretty quick that is amazing Good luck to you and I will keep in touch thanks for asking to be my friend  on here it is good to know someone else with the same surgeon.   .

JJ_
on 5/19/11 11:40 am
Hi Karen,

Welcome to the board.  You will find that the Ontario board is the most active of all Canadian boards.  There is a lot of support, and people at all stages of the process.  People ask all sorts of interesting questions.  I find that as I am also pre-surgery, if there are questions/answers that I may use later, I cut and paste them into a Word document, and file it in my surgery file.  That way I will have answers for various things, like the Opti-fast period that you are currently experiencing.  Folks have shared how they have prepared it (different flavourings added), that although it may have tasted okay, that they put it in a cup, with lid and straw so they didn't have to smell it. 

Anyhow, you will receive an education.  Please also remember to use discernment, and judge the advice given to how it works for you.  We are different, and react differently.  Some people liked cottage cheese before surgery and now cannot stand the smell or texture of it....etc.

Surgery for you is in 10 days.  I have a question though, why are you on Optifast for 4 weeks?  I have heard people being on it for 2 weeks or 3 weeks in other centres. 
Karen T.
on 5/19/11 12:03 pm - Canada
I think it is my surgeon's choice.  I now now 2 others with same surgeon and they also have to do it for 4 weeks. ????? 

Ottawa34
on 5/19/11 12:34 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Hi Karen,

I just wanted to wish good luck on your journey, the best part if almost here! :)
I am excited for you, I remember how I felt the few weeks before, it's like a little kid anticipating
x-mas :)   The peoples on this forum have been a great help and a fountain of information and great support, you'll love it here. 

Keep up updated on your progress, good luck!!

Amy

Karen T.
on 5/19/11 12:48 pm - Canada
Thanks Amy  

Monica M.
on 5/19/11 9:15 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Hey Karen!
Thanks for finding us. We're a pretty friendly group, you can learn a lot.

Try not to be too nervous. Use this time before your surgery to prepare yourself for afterward. Read the materials that you got from your bariatric centre, do some walking, get your house clean. Try to relax. You've been anticipating this since last May, and now it's finally coming true. Nervousness is expected.

Try to find a support group in your area, if you can. My support group that i attend in Barrie has been so helpful, just being in the same room with people who understand your problems is a wonderful thing.

You're on your way. Congratulations

Monica

Most Active
Recent Topics