Small World

squidget
on 5/2/13 11:15 am

Last night, as I was taking the garbage out, I noticed that my neighbour has lost a substantial amount of weight.  I haven't seen her for months - the winter tends to make us hibernate - so I was quite intrigued!

When I got home tonight, she was outside, so I ventured over to say hi and tell her how amazing she looks.  I asked her what she's been doing to lose so much weight.  Turns out she had RNY in October!  At St. Michael's!  What a coincidence!  I had my surgery there too!  She was a little shy about admitting she had RNY (which I completely understand****il I told her that I had the same surgery at the same hospital on February 21.  We spent the next half hour comparing experiences.  She's lost almost 100 pounds and she truly looks amazing.  The best part is that we've only ever said hello in passing, and now I feel as thought I've made a new friend based on our RNY experience!  I only wish I'd known before we both had surgery. 

Does that count as a NSV?

Marny B.
on 5/2/13 11:22 am - Canada

LOL.  That's fantastic.  You guys could be great support for each other I bet.  

When I went to Jamaica last March, my hubby and I made friends with another couple from our resort while on an excursion.  They were from the States.  We met for dinner one night, and her eating choices seemed remarkably similar to mine, so I slid it in there that I have certain food restriction because of a surgery I'd had.  Turns out she had had RNY as well.  We were great friends after that because we had so much to talk and share about. 

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

squidget
on 5/2/13 1:19 pm

Isn't it amazing how you recognized a similar pattIern in her eating habits?

Prior to surgery, I probably wouldn't have interacted with her.  I feel so much more social and connected since my surgery.  Even though I've lost only 40ish pounds so far, I feel so much more confident.  When I returned to work yesterday for the first time since my RNY, everyone was so happy to see me.  People said I was glowing (probably helped that I actually took time to wear make-up and blow dry my hair) and for the first time in a very long time, I didn't feel uncomfortable in my own skin.  Nor did I feel judged.  Everyone made me feel so good - it was a boost to my ego!

Julia P.
on 5/2/13 11:11 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

That definitely counts as an NSV!  It's great that you've connected with someone so close to you - you can be great support to each other!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

Patm
on 5/2/13 11:45 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

That is a great nsv. hope you can be great support for each other

Most Active
Recent Topics