is anyone a "lightweight" using the surgery tool to lose only 60-80 lbs?

4kidcull
on 3/16/14 2:32 am - Canada
RNY on 02/16/14

I was called a lightweight, by a member, when referring to the starting weight of 222, and needing a weight loss of ONLY 80 lbs.  I understand that this may be the case when comparing myself to others that have 100-200 lbs to lose, and i understand the sentiment, and take no offense. BUT i was wondering if there is anyone else out there that is also a LIGHTWEIGHT.  It seems that my weight loss is that much slower than others around me at 5 weeks.  I completely understand that we are all different, and I am not comparing pound by pound, but taking an average of others around me (in the forum) at 5 weeks, I am still stuck on a weight loss hiatus!!  I am following the plan word for word and even calculated the average calories I am taking in (about 500-700/a day) with a minimum of 2000ml of water and 60 grams of protein everyday! I never miss and am meticulous at keeping track in my little diary boo****ep,  On a great note - I have lost 56cm since surgery day! that I am watching more than the scale...but I have to be honest, the scale seems to be stuck at 204lbs!!!!

kimber291
on 3/16/14 2:50 am, edited 3/16/14 2:57 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

My start weight was 227, I would like to lose 103lbs as I am only 4'11 and 124 puts me in the healthy BMI range. I was also called a lightweight, and I did take offence to it. I don't think it is appropriate myself,  I don't consider myself a lightweight. 103lbs is a lot of weight. Yes I may have less to lose then others but that wouldn't give me the right to call them a "heavyweight" to which I'm sure feelings would be hurt. 

My starting BMI was also 45.8. 

Your doing great, don't get discouraged by looking at the weightloss of others, we all lose at our own pace :-)

Kim

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

highlandbear
on 3/16/14 3:33 am - Canada

Please put the scales away and don't weigh yourself for awhile. We all lose weight at different speed. It is about changing your lifestyle and getting healthy. That is the important part of all of this is your health. I do not like the term lightweight and I got called it on this site. Yes you may not weigh 300 or 400 hundred pounds but you are still over weight and the thin people out there still make fun of you. You still go through the hurt that a heavy heavy person does. I could not walk a block without having trouble breathing. My sugars were way out of control so when it comes down to it if you are over weight your health is going to be affected and it is all about each and everyone of us being as healthy as we can.

4kidcull
on 3/16/14 3:58 am - Canada
RNY on 02/16/14

I try not to take offence, but I do have to admit, initially I did.  But since then I have decided to let go of the negative connotations...and I HATE the terms lightweight and heavy weight!! this is a huge journey for me and everyone else on this site - or else they wouldn't be here!!

thank for all the support!

Patm
on 3/16/14 5:05 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

as the others said everyones journey is different. Often when the scale does not move the inches come off. The fact you have lost 56 cm shows that. Just keep on the program and you will lose at your rate

Laurie C.
on 3/16/14 5:39 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

I was a lightweight also, 233 pounds on a 5'4" frame.  My surgery was June 2012 and I've lost 76 pounds to put me at 157 which is okay but my last 8 pounds is still sitting on my torso taunting me daily.  I also took offence to "lightweight" and my weight didn't come off as quick as others either.  I hate names also (been called them all my life) but my life is sssooo much better now and the lasting weight of course is in my belly.  I  just keep working away at it and don't want to gain any back.  To me this proves that the surgery is a tool, not a quick fix.  I'm thankful for it, I love it.

So just give it time, turn the other cheek to the names and keep smiling.  Be happy about your status and follow the rules.  You are doing great!!!

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

kimber291
on 3/16/14 6:11 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I'm so glad you posted this. I posted about this topic on a Facebook group when it first happened to me and people were trying smooth it over, making excuses for people calling me that. 

Thank you for posting it and for everyone else that has responded thank you as well. Atleast I know I'm not alone in how I feel. 

Onwards and downwards!!

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/16/14 6:18 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Thank you for posting this.  I don't have the same problem nor have I used the term lightweight, but I learned the term can offend others.  I would have thought it a compliment. Therefore, I've learned it's a hurtful term for some and will be careful not to use it. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

kimber291
on 3/16/14 6:26 am, edited 3/16/14 6:27 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

For me it made me feel like the person didn't think I needed the surgery because I'm considered a "lightweight" and I only have 103 pounds to lose and there are others out there that weight a lot more then I do that are still waiting. Doesn't matter I have health issues myself. Being 200 pounds or whatever the case may be doesn't make that person anymore worthy of having it done then me. 

For me it's not a compliment. It reminds me of saying, ya she's fat but atleast she has a pretty face. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Sunny123
on 3/16/14 6:29 am, edited 3/16/14 6:31 am
RNY on 12/05/13

Please search stalls, I had a huge one at 6 weeks that lasted 3 weeks.  You're going to lose weight, comparing (which you are by averaging others at 5 weeks) will only drive you bananas. You deserve so much more than that! :)

If someone is 400 lbs or so, they are going to lose weight faster - I was called a light weight when I first started the program - and managed to eat myself into something other than what is considered a light weight...it's a label people use. I had people tell me I didn't need surgery but I hid my 300 lbs very well.

Measure - I was in a stall but I measure monthly - lots of lost inches and that got me through the self doubt - the 'Am I the only person this isn't going to work for' moments.

It's great you're following the plan - you will be successful - you're most likely in a stall.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Most Active
Recent Topics