Monday WLS Express- Pet Edition

Alissa A.
on 5/8/11 8:00 pm - Keller, TX
GOOD MORNING! In honor of national pet week, please tell me- did you have a pet growing up? Do you have any now? Have any funny stories? ALL ABOARD!
Alissa A.
on 5/8/11 8:05 pm - Keller, TX
Don't you just hate it when Monday sneaks up on you? Today I'm starting to drink more water and less soda. I bought a big insulated mug that I"m going to fill with ice water and drink at least one of them- I'll try for 2 when I'm in the office and not on the road.

Pets- we had a dog that we won as a puppy at the Firemens BBQ and Carnival (I grew up in a small town that had a volunteer fire dept so this was their fundraier). We named it Star because he had a white mark on his head that looked like a star. Then, we got a cat named Stripes. We always joked we should get a bird named Forever. I had a goldfish for a while- again a win at the BBQ- but it offed himself! It jumped out of its bowl while I was at school one day and I found it on the floor.
Now of course we have Snickers. And he's not too bad, for a dog. I'm not a big pet person. But I have to admit he's grown on me!

I hope everyone has a fantastic day today!
(deactivated member)
on 5/8/11 8:25 pm - GA
Good Morning!!!

We had several dogs while I was growing up.  When I was almost 5, our dog was named Scamp (after the comic strip).  We had moved and did not realize that you needed to leave a confined for a few days after a move, and she ran away that first night in the new town.

Another dog we had was named Dutchess.  The funny story about her, was that she and the dog next door were caught doing 'it' in the front yard, and sure enough 9 weeks later we had puppies.

To me, dogs bring lots of love to a home, and all that they want is unconditional love...because that is what they give to their owners.
Karla Lewis
on 5/8/11 9:05 pm - Livingston, TX
Good morning. Ready for a day of work today. Hope all of you have a good day. We really didn't have a long term pet growing up. My mom is not an animal lover. We had a few outside dogs at the camp my dad managed that people in Houston would get and decide they couldn't keep. I liked Sam, the Airdale best.

Have a good day.

Karla

Karla Lewis     337/194/175
Lap RNY 1-23-2006     Dr. Terry Scarborough   Houston, TX
Lipo 4-27-2007           Dr. David Wainwright      Houston, TX
LBL 11-13-2007           Dr. David Wainwright      Houston, TX
BL & brachioplasty  7-18-2008       Dr. David Wainwright    Houston, TX

Don 1962
on 5/8/11 9:28 pm
We were dog people.  Still are.  After each has passed always said "no more".  Yeah right.  That is what I was saying when I got the present fur child.

Short week of grime fighting this week.  Had to have radiator in my "company car" replaced last week since it sprang a serious leak.  Hope I have it back today.  Don't like driving a different vehicle.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

meggieintx
on 5/8/11 10:52 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Love animals and we have always had pets! Dogs, cats, goldfish,bunies, a duck.!! We always had small animals and moms so visiting Dad was wild with ginormous dogs (st bernards and mastiffs) and horses! All strays found their way to the farm so they never had fewr than 3 and at one time 13! I know the strays felt like they found Nirvana. with their own beds in the garage all the food they could eat, fans in the summer and space heaters in the winter no cars in that garage!!

Meggie
Megan 
TraceyC
on 5/8/11 11:28 pm, edited 5/8/11 11:35 pm - DFW, TX
Hey You Guys!

I had an amazing weekend. I'm so sad it's over! I will be even happier in four weeks when I get to be with Blake again full time. Yesterday Dirk put pork chops on the grill and made green beans, baked potatoes and corn on the cob. We had all the family over too.

We had a cat when I was born, He was coal black so my dad named him anthracite (the chemical name for coal), but they called him Andy for short. Then when I was about 2 we had gone to the mall and my parents made the mistake of taking me into the pet store. I laid eyes on the cutest dog in the place and cried and cried for her. Mom and dad went back and bought her to console me. I named her Missy. She traveled with us to a few different towns/states but when dad got transferred to California we gave her to some neighbors. Some neighbors of ours in California had puppies and they named them all after sweets. There was Cupcake, Cookie, Candy, Muffin, etc. After that family got stationed in Japan we ended up with Muffin. Any dogs leaving the states at that time had to undergo a 6 month quarantine. Muffin's owners just couldn't do it to her so she was adopted out. Muffin lived until she was 18. Then when I had kids we had Tucker, who was a free to good home dog that I read about in the penny saver. Later we added Daisy to the mix. I was at the gym and was late getting Kaylee. Some classmate's dad backed his pickup up and was giving away puppies from his truck bed. Kaylee grabbed Daisy and stuffed her in her shirt. She went through a crying fit when I said we didn't need another dog. Karma here, she won out and we still have Daisy. Other than those we always have livestock around now. You never know what's living in the barn at our place- various horses, chickens, pigs, goats, and we're about to a buy a bottle calf.

I forgot to mention Charlie, the deer. lol We lived on an arsenal and it was protected by barbed wire fence. Every year the deer would overpopulate and then when winter would hit some would starve. Finally someone decided that there would be an archery and gun tournament and the top 50 winners of each would get to take a deer home. Charlie's mother was accidentally shot. Our neighborhood of 15 got to raise Charlie from a bottle. He used to go upstairs and play Barbies with me. We had all hardwood floors so Charlie would have difficulty climbing back down the stairs. We'd always have to call the base and have one of the dads come home and carry Charlie back downstairs. (I wasn't the only kid who brought Charlie upstairs either). Every year before the tournament we'd have to round up Charlie and lock him up. Needless to say I don't eat venison.

Have a great Monday!
Tracey

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. Walt Disney 
http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10728;28/st/20110112/n/Blake/dt/-1/k/3fb3/s-age.png">>

Saundra P.
on 5/8/11 11:49 pm - Mesquite, TX
Good morning,

Work and dentist appointment is on the agenda today.

As kids we had the fish, turtle, birds and dogs.  The dogs I remember was Pepper and my Dad had a bird dog name Sam.  Since I have been married we have had 4 dogs, first was Cookie and then Max each we had around 10 - 12 years.  After Max died I too said I didn't really want another dog but DH did and he wanted two so they wouldn't be lonely at home, so now we have two Golden Retriever. They are both rescue dogs.  Will is about 4 years old and has thunderstorm phobia if we are not at home when the storm hits he destroys the house, I have tired all the Internet suggestions and afraid it is time to ask the Vet for medication.  The last storm he clawed a hole in the sheet rock.  Duke is about 12 or 13 and loves attention, if you are petting Will, Duke pushes is way in. 

Have a great day!

Saundra
VBG - 12/02/96   (High weight 283)
Revision to RNY - 06/11
/09 (Start weight 219)

Goal for weight to always start with 11*

At Goal - maintaining between 115 - 119

Phyllis M.
on 5/9/11 1:56 am - Irving, TX
Good MOrning everyone!
 Pets:    2 legged or 4 legged ones?   I swear  2 cats and 1 dog, a brother and a child in my apartment..........I think I have part home and part barn !!  lol   My toy poodle brings me so much love everyday and every evening......we play "sockies" and he knows it  - starts looking for them in the am so he can get his "treat" .....beggin' strip !!   

Yes - I remember I was about 8-10 yrs old - travels from ND to either AZ or OK every summer and/or Christmas -
1 summer we went to Phoenix and we came back with my grandmothers  ****apoo - named "Cuddles"   she was kinda white - off white - dirty white - whatever......we fell in love with Cuddles.
We had Cuddles until my senior year in Highschool  (1983) -  she was accidentally ran over by a car in our driveway....  cuddles would often get out of the house in the morning as my brother and I were getting ready for school and she'd know we were getting ready to leave for school and be the life of us to get her back IN the house so we could get to school on time.    Them fur babies are smart ones !! 

Thru the years- Amanda has had numerous hamsters and they were always gnawing themselves out of their plastic cages and wondered around the house   - always finding their way to my bed at night  (I still think to get me  up to put him/her back into the cage for water and food) and then a few more days  they'd get back out again...  them things are smart !!! 
One of the occassions - our hamster would find his/her way to the shower for water - I'd wake up at apt in OKC in middle of night (knowing that this thing was running loose within the walls) and find him/her in the shower getting their water......I'd catch the dern thing and put him/her b ack into the cage once again........Oh this went on from the time she had hamsters (probably about 4-5 in all)   the LAST hamster was left in the walls in OKC in 1996..........?  :)

Luv you all . 
  • Pease check out Dr. Connie Stapleton's Website. A lot of good information on there for all WLS patients regardless of the surgery you chose.  Good luck to all and I'm here for you if you want to send me an email.  I'll answer it as soon as possible.  
  • Total Lost:  139 lbs
  • Current Weight:  263  
  • As of 11-10-13 I have had weight gain.  Not happy about that.
  • RNY: 10-16-07 = 338:  Highest weight: 350+  Lowest Weight: 199 

Jtinkb6988
on 5/11/11 5:11 am - Round Rock, TX
No pets growing up. We all took paper routes and had many a dog bite us almost on a daily basis.

So when I grew up I got a blind boxer named Star. She is very smart. I taught her to howl Happy Birthday (She figures a howl is as good as my singing!!) Anyway Xmas 2009 we were at my mom's house in Indiana. We called my sister to sing her Happy Birthday. Star was asleep on th floor and when she heard us she got up and came over to howl along.

Love her to death. Just recently taught her where her Booty is.

Take her for walks and tell her up and down so she does not fall.

Off into the wild blue yonder.

Highest weight:329
Surgery Weight:286

Most Active
Recent Topics
constipations remedies
BrandonApafe · 0 replies · 58 views
Good morning Texas! 1/3/2024
Laura P. · 0 replies · 135 views
I'm new here
TattooMom · 4 replies · 440 views