Recent Posts

Debbie W.
on 9/14/04 7:35 am - Open Spaces, TX
Topic: RE: Hi, Everyone!
Hi Mary I am down in League City, Tx but I am originally from Southeastern Iowa. I am hoping for the VBG but was denied at usual. Welcome to the board and any time you want to talk, just e-mail me. It is always nice to talk to another Iowa girl. Glad that you are doing so well with your VBG. Keep us posted on your progress. Debbie
Dutch G.
on 9/14/04 7:26 am - Central Iowa, IA
Topic: RE: Three weeks till surgrey. Any advice?
Duane: Sharon is right about checking with your surgeon regarding time off. I was home 3 weeks and went back to work half days on the 4th week out. I'm a legal secretary, so live a fairly sedentary lifestyle. Actually, I almost felt I could have gone back to work the 3rd week, but Sharon is right. It takes time to figure out what you can eat, to try to walk as much as you can, to get a sleep pattern going - lots of things. I think your 4 weeks off is going to be perfect! Good luck to you! Those first couple of days are a little rough, but you will not be sorry! This is the best thing I've ever done for myself!! Mary
Dutch G.
on 9/14/04 7:20 am - Central Iowa, IA
Topic: Hi, Everyone!
I'm new to OH and am not as computer savy as most of you, so bear with me please. I'll get it figured out eventually! I'm 58 years old and had VBG surgery on March 16, 2004. I've lost 60 pounds so far and have 60 more to go to my goal. I've been what you call "lurking" here for some time. You have helped me feel good about having the surgery and your positive outlooks have given me the encouragement I've needed to work hard and stay positive, and you didn't even know it! I thank you all for that! I hope you all have a great rest of the day, and I also hope to be communicating with all of you in the near future. Mary
sharon001
on 9/14/04 2:11 am - WI
Topic: RE: After Vacation Committment
Hi Tammy -- Good to hear from you. Congrats on the weight loss and SUPER congrats on your lowest weight of the year! We are all proud of you Tammy! WOO HOO ~~ The best thing about detoxing is you KNOW that you can do it!! So you go girl. I haven't been exercising very consistently. My eating has been pretty good though. I do tend to stay pretty busy (moving) though... not a lot of down (sitting on my butt) time. Today was my official day to weigh in... drum roll... I am now down -117#. I lost 4 pounds over the last week -- so my plateau is officially over -- Yeah! And I still have 2 more weeks before my monthly weight recording. I hope that I lose more than the 4 pounds. Later... Sharon -117#
tammym
on 9/14/04 2:02 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12
Hi Guys! I'm back 'on the wagon' trying to stay off sugar. I have lost one more pound & I'm determined not to let it come back! I'm still detoxing from sugar (again, darn it) but I am confident I will eventually learn to just stay away from it. I walked at least a mile and a half yesterday during lunch, and plan to do the same today if the weather holds out. I'll go to the gym tonight either way. Good job beating those plateau's Gloria and Sharon!! I beat mine too!! Finally down One more pound. My lowest weight this year! PROUD TO BE A LOSER! Tammy
sharon001
on 9/13/04 11:18 pm - WI
Topic: RE: Three weeks till surgrey. Any advice?
Hi Duane, I also had the surgery done Open. I was off work for 2 weeks. I only took 2 weeks because that was all of the paid time I had accumulated. I certainly could have benefited by 4-6 weeks off. If you can afford to take the time off from work I would certainly recommend it. Mostly because it just takes time to adjust to your new stomach and your new eating habits. And afterall it is major surgery. Certainly talk with your surgeon and see what he recommends. Best Regards, Sharon -117#
Duane R.
on 9/13/04 12:22 pm - St Paul, MN
Topic: Three weeks till surgrey. Any advice?
Well im only three weeks away from the big date. Not nervous just real anxious to have it done with. I am having the surgery done open. For those who had it how long is the recuperating time. I hope only to be off work for 4 weeks is this realistic??
sharon001
on 9/13/04 1:14 am - WI
Topic: United Hosptial Newsletter Article
Reprinted from: Healthy Communities United Hospital (Newsletter) Vol 12, Nov 3 -- Fall 2004 Weight Loss Via Surgery Ryan Severson is half the man he used to be, and he couldn't be happier about it. Two years ago, Severson weighed 430 pounds. Today, he maintains a weight of 205 to 210 pounds, which is a healthy weight for a man who is 6 feet, 3 inches tall. Severson lost his weight through bariatric surgery. In bariatric surgery, the stomach is reduced so that it can only hold a few ounces of food at one time. The patient feels full with a small amount of food. A Weighty Issue "Obesity has reached epidemic proportions in the United States," says William R. Rupp, MD, a surgeon with St. Paul Surgeons, Ltd., and medical director of United Hospital's Bariatric Program. "About 64 percent of Americans are overweight, and nearly one-third of them, or about 59 million, are considered morbidly obese." Obesity, defined as an abnormal amount of body fat is associated with an increased risk of: heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, diabetes, cancer, back and joint pain, arthritis, sleep apnea, emotional problems, such as low self-esteem and depression, premature death. There is evidence, however, that weight loss in obese individuals can improve health. Surgical Weight Loss "Research has shown that bariatric surgery is currently the most effective long-term method for controlling severe obesity," says Rupp. The two most common procedures are vertical banded gastroplasty (VBG) and Roux-enY (RNY) gastric bypass. Vertical Banded Gastroplasy-- In this procedure, four rows of staples, about 5 inches in length, are placed where the esophagus joins the stomach to create a small vertical pouch. A plastic ring is then placed near the end of the staple line to create a small opening. This opening allows food to pass normally, but slowly, from the small, upper pouch to the lower portion of the stomach and then to the intestines. Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass-- During this procedure, four rows of staples are used to partition a small pouch in the upper portion of the stomach. A section of the intestine is divided. One end of the divided intestine is attached to the pouch, creating an opening. The other portion of the intestine is connected to the stomach farther down, creating the "Y" shape mentioned in the procedure's name. This procedure restricts the amount of food that can be eated and quickly changes how the body absorbs calories. Each year about 40,000 people undergo bariatric surgery to permanently reduce their weight. To qualify for gastric surgery, a person must be at least 100 pounds overweight, have failed dieting regimens, have medical problems related to obesity and be psychologically stable. "In addition, the patient must be willing to make permanent lifestyle changes," says Rupp. "Patients who make the required lifestyle changes can expect significant weight loss and better health." According to Rupp, his patients' average weight loss is about one-third of their body weight. A Drastic Decision Severson had struggled with weight for most of his life. He describes himself as a "big kid" who was able to control his weight in high school and college through athletics and sports. "But once I entered the real world and got a job at a desk, the weight just increased," says Severson. Then in April 2001, Severson and his wife, Susan, adopted a little girl, Mia. The new dad found new motivation for weight loss. "I want to live a long time for her and for myself," says Severson. But diets and increased exercise were still not enough. That fall, Severson's doctor recommended bariatric surgery. "I knew this was a drastic step," says Severson. "I drove into research and read everything I could find about bariatric surgery, so I knew what to expect." In May 2002, Rupp performed a vertical banded gastroplasty procedure on Severson. The weight began to come off quickly. "A year and a half later, I had reached my goal of 210 pounds," says Severson. "I feel awesome."
sharon001
on 9/12/04 10:44 pm - WI
Hi Gloria....Glad you made it past your plateau. And super great that everyone helped you out! Yeah VBG message board! I didn't really exercise much during my vacation. I was really busy around the house though. I lost my 2 pound regain that I then plateaued with for a month. Today I am down another 1/2 pound. The weight loss is slow but it is okay. At least I am losing again. I hate plateaus! LOL = Laughing Out Loud ROFL = Rolling on Floor Laughing The Losing Side is the Best Side... Sharon -115.5# WOO HOO to the .5
Lisa S.
on 9/12/04 7:00 am - phila, PA
Topic: RE: in on weds home on friday
Thank you Sharon, Wow it feels good to be on the "other" side. I am so thankful that I am where I am right now. I hope to be a big loser! I'm getting used to the liquid diet now as it has been explained to me better since I came home.. I think I was kinda starving myself. didn't know I could have yougurt and cream of soups...so I feel much better. Doc on Tues so I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the support. Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4307 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8564 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8088 views