Recent Posts

Carmen4473
on 1/4/16 6:00 pm
Topic: RE: any reported seizures after gastric sleeve surgery?

Have you had your surgery?  I have epilepsey and I am scared stared to have the surgery!  I have looked it up and read articles and I am very concerned?  Some say they are having seizures because of the diet!  Please help!

E_Saenz
on 7/22/15 2:50 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15
Topic: RE: Vertical banded gastroplasty surgery for 10 years

Hello I have a daughter that underwent the lap band of some sort and to date she really don't look like she has lost much at all.  When I told my man I was getting weight loss surgery he said it's a waste of time look at our daughter then I explained the surgery she had has a very high fail rate he is excited for me but still kinda optimisti.  I've been researching for many years and have finally got my date I'm having vgs on 8/12/15 I would consider a revision to VGS that is just me thought.  Any surgery is a tool it's how you use it 

Good luck!

Elia Maria Saenz

Stapler
on 6/16/15 9:00 am
Topic: RE: Issues with Mesh used in BBC surgery

Hi Michele,

I had a VBGB in 1998 and again in 2005 due to the staples being pulled out!

I remember being able to feel it... there was no pain at all, just a strange pulling feeling.  This would usually happen after doing heavy labor such as raking, shoveling, stacking wood, etc.

The doctor was able to get my insurance to pay for another surgery due to 'failed' surgery the first time around.

I didn't know they offered this surgery 30 years ago!  I hope it was successful for you and I truly hope you are able to resolve your health issues now as a result of the original surgery.

Good luck ~ 

Stapler
on 6/16/15 8:53 am
Topic: RE: Grandma wants to know has anyone suffered from Hernias after VBG??

I know it's been over 2 years since you've posted, but I wanted to reply anyway.

I've had many hernias since having a VBGB in 1998.  I've had 2 hernia surgeries (during the first one, the doctor noticed an old mesh, so it is likely a hernia was fixed w/o my knowledge during open gallbladder surgery).

The 2nd surgery had the doctor putting in a huge mesh to cover as much of the stomach lining as possible, as I had many tears that were visible.

I am very wary of my belly these days.  It is always tender to touch and I guard it at all times. 

I wish I could offer you some words of wisdom, but the only thing that can be done is putting in a large mesh and trying to be careful.

Stapler
on 6/16/15 8:33 am
Topic: RE: Vertical banded gastroplasty surgery for 10 years

Hi Mark,

It's been awhile since you've asked this question, yet I didn't see this until today.

I had a VBGB in 1998 and lost all my weight but by late 2004 - I noticed that I was able to eat larger quantities and also was able to eat ice cream again w/o dumping!  NOT good, as naturally I ate more ice cream than ever, trying to make up for lost time, I guess.

What happened was I had actually pulled out my staples.  I remember that I could feel it, it didn't hurt at all but it was a strange sensation.  It would happen when I was doing heavy work;  raking, shoveling, stacking wood, etc., and would happen out of the blue.

I had a CT scan to confirm and sure enough - I had pulled them all out.

The doctor really jumped through hoops for me to get my insurance to pay for it - stating that the surgery had failed and needed to be redone.

Thankfully, I was approved and had the redo in August of 2005 and haven't had any issues yet.

The doctor said he put in a 'super-duper double line of staples' so that it shouldn't happen again.

I've re-lost the gained weight during my 'reprieve' lol, and now live well below my original goal weight.

For me - I was never able, and never WILL be able to control my personal eating habits.  The surgery was the only way for me and if you were to take away the staples today, tomorrow I would be eating just like I used to.

It's not that I'm stupid or unwilling or anything like that... it's simply that I lack the self-control to eat normally. 

I wish you the best and hope you have found a solution by the time you read this.

Michele_L
on 4/30/15 11:59 pm
Topic: Issues with Mesh used in BBC surgery

I had my VBG surgery 30 years ago. About 15 Yeats ago I developed an ulcer which caused the staples to rupture. Now I am having trouble again and found out that opening has gotten smaller and the mesh has migrated to the inside of my stomach.  Has anyone had similar issues.  

Geminidawn
on 2/5/15 3:56 am
Topic: RE: *VBG to VSG* IS POSSIBLE!!! I Had The Revision!!!!

Hi. I know this is an old post but I am looking at doing the same thing so am glad to hear it can be done. How are you doing now a few years later?

Geminidawn
on 2/4/15 10:33 am
Topic: RE: 11 years post VBG and want reversal not revision

Hi. Was your surgery done in Cardston by Dr Hollingsworth?  That's who did mine back in 2000. He's retired now so of no help. I am considering having the gastric sleeve done in Mexico but am getting conflicting stories on whether or not it can even be done. I just want to be normal again. 

garycsr60
on 1/27/15 5:12 am
Topic: RE: VBG band is now smaller?

I***** I had VBG surgery at the VA Medical Center in Iowa City, IA, making me one of the first to have it through the Veteran's Administration. I weighed an unbelievable 417 lbs. Following the surgery, my initial weight loss drop took me to 141 lbs. Now, of course, I realize that my loss was far and away greater than what's commonly experienced.

Believe me, that was by no means permanent, and over the next 18 years I slowly regained til I stabilized at a more natural 170 lb average weight.

Also, the last 5 or 6 years of that, I experienced what you have--a shrinking of the opening, resulting in serious GERD and an appearance of Barrett's Esophagus. I had to sleep in a hospital bed to prevent aspirating my stomach contents in my sleep! Obviously this is what is commonly considered a 'BAD THING'.

The solution was to go back under the knife for a Roux-en-Y bypass.

Thankfully, the modern methods are much more advanced and I was only in the Gainesville FL VAMC  a couple of days (partly because I'm not quite tobacco free--I'm working on it---and I picked up a case of pneumonia. Hey, it happens.).

Anyhow, the surgery worked, the GERD is gone, I can sleep with my wife again, PLUS...I'm back down to 140lbs, and feeling great!

I've not suffered any of the bad side effects, my weight is stable and I no longer have to eat processed foods--My diet is normal. I can eat REAL FOOD...and even digest it!

So, by all means go for it (the roux-en-Y) if you're able. It's definitely worth it.

Just remember to avoid full-sized dinner plates at meal time. I use the 'bread and butter' sized plate, so I have the illusion of a full sized meal while still maintaining portion control. I am NOT gonna be fat again........ain't happening......nope, not never!

NOW, IF I CAN JUST GET TOBACCO FREE........DOWN TO 3 A DAY......EVERYBODY PRAY FOR ME TO HIT ZERO, SOON!!! 

mark1981
on 12/21/14 12:22 pm
Topic: Vertical banded gastroplasty surgery for 10 years

Hello Folks,

Actually this is my first time to join bariatricpal fourms.

I had Vertical banded gastroplasty surgery in Feb. 2005 ( 10 years ago), I was 364 lb, the Operation went fine with me and i kept losing weight for about 4 years untill i got 218 lb. which is great, in 2010 and 2011 I started to gain some weight i thought it's normal but right now i started to eat again like nothing happened, and i gain half the weight again and I am almost 298lb.

I am so disappointed and feel very bad , is there any one has the same VBG and Revisions it to GS and how it works, and what about the result

thanks

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4298 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8549 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8079 views