Sleeve and the sweet tooth

glzgowlass
on 6/26/11 6:33 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I have a bit of a sweet tooth.  It's not a constant thing, but there are times when the craving is overpowering.  I don't think I can live with sweet alternatives; I think I need to eradicate sweets altogether.

Generally, I prefer the sleeve for varying reasons, but it occured to me that it might be better for me to get bypass because I just won't be able to tolerate sweets with bypass and I fear if I went with the sleeve, I may succumb to my bad old habits.

Any experiences out there with the sweet tooth after the sleeve?  It's not that I'm without will power as such but there are times when my determination fails me.
Keydi B.
on 6/26/11 6:39 am - Elmwood Park, NJ
I am 5 months out and I am a chocoholic!    I have cut down dramatically!   I had 2 big reeses eggs at Easter and I got dumping syndrome.   Now I only can have 2 reeses cups/eggs at a time.  I can have a kid size m&ms at one time.  

So Yes you can have sweets but the quantity you can eat will  change.   For women, a small bit of chocolate is healthy.
Have a Nice Day/Night! 
Keydi

Crimson
on 6/26/11 6:39 am - MD
Everyone is different, we all know. But I was an insanely addicted to sweets. Sodas, juices, chocolate, cakes, etc. you name it, I loved it!

Like you, I was worried about my sweet tooth and too thought about bypass. But I thought to myself, 'what is a life without sweets?' and if i wanted something, why would i want to get sick after it (dumping syndrome). But i got my sleeve. I do not crave sweets. in fact, everytime i try a little something, i think it's too sweet lol. but i have sugar free things and it satisfies my sweet tooth.

sweet things i no longer crave are ice cream, cake and other floury products. never crave candy bars or gum or candy. I crave more food than sweets.

if i crave a sweet, i'll have a piece of sugar free candy like jolly rancher or life saver. on my birthday, my coworkers got me a cake and i had a sliver, while it was delicious!!! i never went back for seconds nor did i take a piece on the second or third day while it was in the fridge. didn't phase me

i hope everything works out for you and that your sweet craving subsides after which ever surgery you chose!!

HW: 271 lbs.     SW: 255 lbs.     GW: 150 lbs.    
BrittanyLinn
on 6/26/11 6:41 am
Last night I was craving a slushy really really bad, so my boyfriend and me went to 711 to see if they had the crystal light slushies... but they didnt, instead they had my all time favorite slushy flavor blue raspberry!! So I had my boyfriend get it so I can have a couple sips.. I took a sip and it was WAAAAY to sweet. It tasted like  I was drinking straight syrup! My taste buds completely changed after surgery. Yeah i think about the foods I use to eat, and sweets sound good but if I try them they dont taste the same. Its pretty strange. Im not sure if over time my taste buds will go back to the way they use to be, but I dont mind not liking the foods I use to, or thinking sweets are too sweet. lol
Ashley S.
on 6/26/11 6:46 am
VSG on 05/04/10 with
I eat sweets, just not nearly as much as I did pre-op.  I don't deprive myself of anything.  I just don't allow myself to go overboard and make sure I don't form any habits.  I usually only eat sweets at a party/get-together, at a restaurant on occasion, or if there is a sample at the grocery store that looks yummy, but I don't keep sweets in the house on a regular basis.  Instead I make sure I keep protein bars and Luna bars on hand to ease the sweet tooth.
-Ash

Heaviest Weight: 365, Surgery Weight: 327, Current Weight:  146.9
Twitter:   http://twitter.com/#!/AshLYMMJ

acbbrown
on 6/26/11 6:47 am - Granada Hills, CA
You may want to do some more research on the RNY. Not everyone gets dumping syndrome. That is not a very good reason, if you don't have other compelling reasons, to simply go with the bypass.

I'm only 2 weeks post-op, and as a sweet/chocolate addict, at least at this point, does not pose any problems. I've probably now gone longer without sugary sweets, and I am okay with that. Something kind of changes when you wake up from surgery and you know your focus has to change asap to get your protein and fluids in. I'm sure that I will struggle in the future, but it seems a little less daunting with a tool that will keep me from binging.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Road Less Travelled
on 6/26/11 7:06 am
VSG on 12/13/10 with
I love sweets -- if I didn't I'd not be in the situation I am.  But with the sleeve, I get "sick" with too many fats -- so that cuts out a ton of "fat" -- however, I stil eat "non-fatty sweets" like taffy, etc -- but it's cut down dramaticly.

July 2007 = lap band ...Sept 2010: lap band removed....Dec 2010 VSG
HW: 283... VSG SW: 244 ..  got down to 170 -- now at 193 and "back on track" ....GW: 155

Foxbins
on 6/26/11 7:58 am
I used to love dessert.  Now, if I get a craving for something, I don't have it in the house anymore and so it goes away, or I have a sf popsicle instead.  At Costco, I got a sample of their Red Velvet Cake, took a bite, and threw it away.  It just didn't taste good.  About six weeks ago I did eat a little bag of pretzed M&M's that weren't too sweet but I haven't had anymore since.  My sweets cravings are all head hunger now since I lost my real hunger after surgery.  SOOO much easier to handle!
urmisnshin2
on 6/26/11 8:23 am - TX
Please do research the RNY a little further...my neice is 5 years out and has never dumped on sugars. She still eats them, just in way smaller amounts.
-Pam
(deactivated member)
on 6/26/11 8:29 am
You need to do some more research on the bypass, only aprox 30% dump.. and some end up getting past that and can tolerate sweets again.. plus with dumping and the bypass in general you have the real risk of hypoglycemia.. I wouldn't ever use surgery as a dietary deterrent, it generally does not work in the long run! Dumping is a highly unpleasant complication, and the majority of RNYers don't dump! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views