Drinking 30 min. before/after protein shakes?

kaydemo
on 7/7/11 12:32 pm - TX
If you drink a protein shake to replace a meal, do you still need to wait 30 before/after to drink anything? I hope this makes sense.  I know what I'm asking, but I'm not sure if I'm asking in a way that is clear! :)
MandiWay
on 7/7/11 12:44 pm - MS
 I don't know the answer... but the meaning of your question is very clear =)
kaydemo
on 7/7/11 12:49 pm - TX
Thanks!  Good to know!  I've cleaned, cleaned and cleaned some more today, AND I did the yard work!  I think I'm "nesting" in anticipation of having surgery! That, or it's just nerves! But either way, my mind is a blur! Thanks again!
Valerie K.
on 7/7/11 12:55 pm - Dearborn, MI
 I was told to never drink a protein shake in place of a meal. between them.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

sleevegirl
on 7/7/11 12:58 pm - Austin, TX
My nut told me that if I'm still on liquids that it doesn't matter unless I want to "practice". It's a liquid, it goes right on through and the point of waiting is to allow your tummy to digest food.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

kaydemo
on 7/7/11 1:02 pm - TX
I didn't realize you couldn't replace a meal with a shake. Good to know! I have a friend that was sleeved in March, and she still drinks mostly protein throughout the day, with a solid meal at night. I should probably tell her that! Thanks! And sleevegirl, maybe I should work on "practicing" while I can. I guess it'll be the real deal soon enough! Thanks for the input!
pcannedy
on 7/7/11 3:03 pm - Sacramento, CA

every morning I have a shake with my coffee

roundater
on 7/7/11 2:16 pm - Lincoln, NE
I've had shakes and liquids at the same time since when I got home from the hospital. Hope this helps. Do what you doc and NUT say though.
Rich Sonderegger

acbbrown
on 7/7/11 2:20 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I don't consider my protein shakes food so I drink before/ after...maybe like 20 minutes or so. It's all liquid so it's all going to go right through me.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

heathermc44
on 7/7/11 2:52 pm - Bremerton, WA
You really need to go by your doctor's plan.  You can use shakes to replace a meal, many of us do that.  I drink a protein shake for breakfast a couple times a week.  As far as your question, you can drink after a shake but in the beginning you may not be able to because of your new tummy.  In the beginning protein shakes filled me up and I couldn't drink right after.  You will just have to try it and see.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 220 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 300 views