Airline seat size

Gabesmom128
on 3/17/12 12:30 pm
 I am going to Mexico for surgery in April. I am flying South West airline and getting a little nervous that I will be told I need two seats upon entering gate. I am 5'5" and weigh 280 did anyone my size or around my size have any trouble...or not? Thanks, would love feedback.
foothills3252
on 3/17/12 12:41 pm
VSG on 02/27/12
 you will not need 2 seats -if you need you can ask for a seat belt extension-dont stress you will be fine!

Gabesmom128
on 3/17/12 12:44 pm
JordynsMommy
on 3/17/12 3:57 pm - PA
VSG on 05/10/12
A few years ago I flew Southwest Airlines to Raleigh, NC and I was around 290. I didn't have to purchase 2 seats and I had plenty room. I agree , depending on what airline you fly on, you may need just a seat belt extender. You should be fine, no worries. 

doggz109
on 3/17/12 4:51 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I'm not so certain.  Southwest is notorious for this and they make the decision AT the gate when you check in.  Hopefully you get a sympathetic gate agent.
Phatchick
on 3/17/12 11:20 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
I used to fly SW all the time. They do make the decision at the gate. I flew many many many times and only once did a fat female employee tell my husband, not me, that I should 'think about getting a second seat" The flight was not full and I declined. I am 5'5 and probably weighed 300 lbs at that time. I fit in that stupid small seat just fine.

I always asked for a seat belt extender and the flight attendant was always discreet and very accomodating.

My advice, be at the gate early, get it out of the way, so you can relax and have a good flight. I seriously doubt you will asked to buy another seat.

Best,

Sharon

Jen Starr
on 3/18/12 12:29 am - NJ
 You shouldn't have a problem at all!  I fly a LOT for work, although usually on Continental, and I'm only 5,1" and weigh about 330.  I always ask for a seat belt extender as I am bording because they have them in bins at the front of the planes and I fit in the seats fine.  You're good!

jen

CheeseLover
on 3/18/12 12:48 am
VSG on 02/16/12
I weighed 330 when I flew Southwest to Vegas to get married, you'll be fine.
 HW: 396 SW: 299 CW: 252 GW: 175

FINALLY BROKE THAT GOD-AWFUL STALL!!!!
rhearob
on 3/18/12 1:26 am - TN
 I agree with Doggz.  I fly all the time.  I usually fly only Delta.  For the last two years I was working at a company in Chicago.  They wanted me to fly southwest because of the cost.  I refused.  Southwest is infamous for it uneven treatment of passengers.  It all depends on the gate agent and the flight attendanvt.  IF they are in a *****y mood or had a bad day - they will take it out on you.  Its not just people of size either.  A few weeks ago they kicked a teenage girl off a flight for baring her midriff because the FA thought she looked ****ty.

I dont think there was a week I flew out of Midway that there wasn't some southwest incident regarding someone refused boarding.  All SW does is issue some half-assed apology and book you on the next flight.

I wouldn't risk my surgery schedule on it.  Cancel, get your money back, and fly a reliable airline.  My preferneces are usually Delta and United-Continental.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

lmehta
on 3/18/12 2:02 am

you really shouldn't have a problem...if you are concerned though you can always ask for an exit row seat because it is more spacious and better leg room :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views