O Coffee My Coffee

kaniac
on 5/27/12 12:11 am - TX
VSG on 06/12/12
I'm a coffee junkie. I know this is going to be my biggest struggle in my diet changes. Zebra Mochas have already been put aside. I'm down to Vanilla Creamer which is better but not much. I can't stand black coffee. What are some alternative options for you other coffee lovers? The best option I've heard so far was to add a little instant coffee to my protein shakes to get a mocha taste.

HW: 270 SW: 234 CW: 168 GW: 150 

LunaChic
on 5/27/12 12:26 am - Newark, NJ
VSG on 04/12/12 with

I'm a coffee addict myself.  Pre-op I managed to reduce my intake from 4-5 cups a day to one light roast. It was very helpful post-op during my 2 weeks of clear liquids where I was not permitted to drink coffee.  I didnt have caffeine headaches or withdrawal symptoms during that phase.  

Now that I am clear for all foods (into my 7th week now), I still enjoy my one cup of coffee in the morning.  I compensate for it by drinking 8oz of extra fluids during the day to avoid even the slightest dehydration.

I really don't think you need to cut out something you love so much, especially considering it is not something that is horribly high in calories, fat, carbs or anything bad for you in moderation.  I will recommend, however, keeping your intake to smaller levels.  It kinda makes it more enjoyable when you limit your intake and then allow yourself to have a cup. Makes you appreciate and savor it more. :)

Sleeved on 4/12/2012

MyFitnessPal:  MissLunaChic      (Looking for friends - feel free to add me!)

justeric78
on 5/27/12 12:36 am - Houston, TX
I drink a couple cups a day. I use sugar free creamer which you may have to search for and splenda. It is 2-4 carbs a cup. Just make adjustments as necessary to your diet to compensate. I am learning that the saying, everything in moderation, is true. Good or bad it all needs to be in moderation.

Anne D.
on 5/27/12 1:07 am
I drink coffee every morning, mixed with my chocolate premier protein shake, yum!

acbbrown
on 5/27/12 1:42 am - Granada Hills, CA
 If I drink coffee- i use non fat milk or almond milk instead of creamer. If I do use creamer, I limit myself to 2 tbsp - that's it.

However my favorite drink is some instant coffee, SF vanilla syrup and some vanilla protein powder blended into an iced coffee. I get my coffee fix with a protein bump and there's no added creamer or milk or anything. Sometimes I throw in a little SF chocolate to get the mocha taste going on :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Debbie R.
on 5/27/12 1:44 am - Cedar Hill, TX
VSG on 02/27/12

I also have a decaf coffee mixed with my chocolate premier protein or use EAS carmel cafe shake & on occasion a vanilla shake mix with some SF davinci or SF Torani. Sometimes I add some 1/2 & 1/2 & sometimes
not. Pour over ice & enjoy!

C. Harvey
on 5/27/12 2:15 am
VSG on 01/11/12
I still drink coffee every morning with my protein added

bjalberta
on 5/27/12 2:19 am - Canada
VSG on 03/20/12
 I have my morning coffee with unflavored protein powder ... Like my coffee black and unsweetened.
                                                   HW 325     SW 303    CW 245.    GW  170
loevig
on 5/27/12 2:19 am - Mill Valley, CA
 I also have my coffee every morning, heated up with light chocolate muscle milk or my Premier protein shake. I no longer can drink regular coffee with creamer because I am so used to my morning protein mocha. I use the protein shakes in cans from Costco as they heat nicer than the powder. You could also use the vanilla muscle milk in your coffee and get the benefit of extra protein.  
diane S.
on 5/27/12 3:11 am
me love coffee too.  at 3 weeks after surgery i started drinking a half cup coffee mixed with a half cup of hot skim milk for a cafe au lait.  surgeon cleared me for coffee at 4 weeks and i went back to my preferred blend of coffee with a little half and half. no sugar or sweetener. yes its a few calories and i counted them and tracked them and stayed within my guides. i was not a fast loser but got to goal. sitting here with a cup of coffee with half and half and weighing 120.5 pounds.  Since I gave up everything else I decided this would be my treat and its worked out. 

you can also get sugar free syrups that fancy coffee places use. just wait unti you are far enough out to handle the acid and its ok with surgeon.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views