Trader Joes or Whole Foods

disneybound
on 8/6/12 5:58 am
VSG on 05/30/12
So I am getting pretty bored on my diet and I am thinking about hitting up one of the stores above for a change.  Which one has a better selection of protein rich foods ?

TIA

Lynn

M1-32 M2-18
Tracasa
on 8/6/12 6:15 am
I enjoy Trader Joe's they have a good selection of turkey products, chicken products, frozen fish, etc.

morgans
on 8/6/12 6:20 am
VSG on 06/18/12
They both probably have a fair amount of protein rich foods, but Trader Joe's will not cost you a mortgage payment (they don't call it Whole Paycheck for nothin').

I get about 99.99% of my groceries from Trader Joe's. They have a fantastic selection of fish, and tofu and cheeses and "happy" meats. They have soy milk and almond milk and Greek yogurt, etc. 

TexasProud
on 8/6/12 6:37 am - Frisco, TX
I went to Trader Joe's yesterday for the first time. Bought a package of turkey meat balls. Had two for lunch with a quarter cup of light Ragu. Very tasty. Also bought a package of shaved brussel sprouts. Sauteed those with a little olive oil and used that as my side. Yummy!!

rhearob
on 8/6/12 6:54 am - TN
 Actually, 

If you have a restaurant Depot Near you go there and get whole cases of boneless skinless Chicken Breast, Turkey Breast, etc.  Then make it however you want it.  Theres no reason to pay a premium for those name brand stores.

The foods they are mainly known for having don't fit well into a bariatric diet anyway.  The whole granolas and graions at trader joes are not something you should be playing with until maintenance.  The meats are just meats that you are going to pay extra for the marketing around them.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

njhanibal
on 8/6/12 8:12 am - Hightstown, NJ
VSG on 06/13/12
 Amen to that Rob. Start looking at ingredients in the prepared food you buy at those places. Now, buy the spices used in the ingredients and then apply them to the meats and veggies. Money saved. A little excercise noted for the cooking. And, you know exactly what you're eating... Also, you can freeze the excess for later in the week or longer.......... We forget that this is a lifetime change. Fastfood is fastfood, no matter where it's brought....... Home cooked is better.

happyteacher
on 8/6/12 10:08 am
On August 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM Pacific Time, rhearob wrote:
 Actually, 

If you have a restaurant Depot Near you go there and get whole cases of boneless skinless Chicken Breast, Turkey Breast, etc.  Then make it however you want it.  Theres no reason to pay a premium for those name brand stores.

The foods they are mainly known for having don't fit well into a bariatric diet anyway.  The whole granolas and graions at trader joes are not something you should be playing with until maintenance.  The meats are just meats that you are going to pay extra for the marketing around them.
 Cracks me up that you will drop a bundle on designer jeans but avoid spending a bit extra at Trader Joes.  You must enjoy cooking :)  (That is a good thing by the way!) 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Phatchick
on 8/6/12 8:43 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
Hi Lynn,

I get all my groceries at Trader Joes and Costco. Trader Joes is more affordable than Whole Foods. Both stores are great though.

Best,

Sharon

AnnieinIA
on 8/6/12 9:34 am
As a part-time vegetarian/the other part vegan, I can tell you one of the very hardest decisions I have had to make preparing for this surgery is to face that I must eat meat and meat-based products to successfully have WLS. Very tough decision but I have made it. I am pre-op but have already faced this reality.

That said, I will eat only free range meats and organic produce whenever possible. I am a fan of both Trader Joes and Whole Foods. But, I think TJs is more geared toward the family that is trying to make some improvements in their diet but they don't carry enough of the hard- core sustainably raised and minimally processed foods I want.

Can you make poor choices in either store? Of course you can (just ask those demon vegan cookies WF carries in their bakery). But I can get the healthy products I want most easily at WF and I hope that once I reach goal I can go back to eating mostly plants.
happyteacher
on 8/6/12 10:10 am
 You may want to connect with Mom4jazz... she has the no meat thing down pretty well I think...

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics