Question: Do light-weights smell bad post VSG/while losing weight?

Longs2Fly
on 10/14/12 3:33 pm
VSG on 10/15/12 with
Please advise if any of you know anything about this. I will be sleeved in the morning, and am a bit anxious.

Thanks!
Feystorm
on 10/14/12 3:45 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 As far as I know - this happens during rapid weight loss and ketosis for most WLS patients.  

I was considered a "lightweight" by some - I have had to change deodarants and invest in mints and listerine strips.  I now use the clinical strength deodarant.  

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

Longs2Fly
on 10/14/12 3:54 pm
VSG on 10/15/12 with
Thanks for your response! Where do you buy clinical strength deoderant? Won't that affect only your underarms and not the rest of your body (if it's true the smell permeates your skin cells)?

You're doing great on your WL! Way to go! : )
Feystorm
on 10/14/12 4:19 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I get mine at Walmart - it is a bit more expensive.  But Secret, Degree and I believe Mitchum all make a clinical strength option.  

I haven't had a problem with the rest of my skin - but to be honest I have always had a habit of one spritz of body spray from Bath & Body Works.    No one has mentioned it to me that anything else smells.  (And I have had the breath/underam smell mentioned lol).  

Honestly I think the skin smell was worse pre-surgery, and the underarm smell back then was not too bad.  Now it appears to be the opposite.  I have bad underarm BO - but don't seem to have the oother body odor issues.

And thank you 

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

kfrain07
on 10/14/12 6:06 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
I was considered a lightweight and never had any issues being stinky

HW: 248 SW: 240 CW: 210
Scandrona
on 10/14/12 6:43 pm - Hollister, CA
VSG on 07/30/12
I was considered a light weight and no one has mentioned anything to me about me smelling badly (and I haven't noticed it myself).  I have noticed that drinking protein shakes make my mouth taste bad though, so I just keep some altoids with me.

"...If one advance confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." 
                                                                                                               --Henry David Thoreau
"Keep Going" --Sensei Jose Miguel Rosas

Metime12.
on 10/14/12 8:42 pm
 Excuse my ignorance but what/ who is a light weight? I had my surgery on the 11 th October and my breath has been smelling I thought it was natural since I have been in liquids only. Kim can also imagine that a dense protein diet would do that too so drinking loads of water should help! I am a novice at this so don't take my analysis as the word!
 These are the first days of the rest of my life. I feel like i have gone through a rebirth, with a second chance for a new life to live and a new me to treasure! I will remain on the losers bench for the rest of my  healthier life!         
Pobearsam7
on 10/14/12 8:43 pm
 I ask my bf all the time... He says I don't smell... 

Kelly                

TSinNC
on 10/14/12 9:51 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
 My breath gets funky sometimes so I keep gum and mints around. And this is totally weird, but one of my armpits is stinkier than before. The other, pretty much the same. I use Secret clinical and it works great. 

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

Soon_to_be_skinny_S
tacie

on 10/14/12 10:23 pm - MA
VSG on 04/17/12
I noticed it immediately, as I have never been one to really get BO.

I noticed BO under my arms. It didn't smell like normal BO, not even much "worse", it was just a different smell that my regular antiperspirant/deodorant wasn't working on.

I read somewhere that ketosis and shedding fat change your body PH, and that's why your normal deodorant wouldn't be effective, which makes sense to me.

I changed to Secret Clinical Strength (about $8 instead of $3 for the regular) for a couple months until it subsided.

The breath though...ewwww. Altoids, Listerine and lots of it.

Most Active