Restaurants

bikerdoll
on 4/13/07 5:20 am - Lees Summit, MO
Has anyone had any problems with restaurants accepting the card stating you can only eat about 2oz?  Recently my family and I went to Ryan's Buffet Restaurant in Belton Missouri.  When I showed my Lap-Band card and asked for a child's meal, I was told pretty rudely that "The new corportation" doesn't allow it and I would have to purchase an adult meal or not eat.  We left to never return.  This is the first time I've had this happen.
Carly P.
on 4/13/07 5:23 am - Fairport, NY
I don't have a restaurant card as I don't feel the need to "announce" I've had surgery.  I just order an appetizer or pack up the leftovers for the next day.  That is just my take on that. 

265/132/140
Surgery/Current/Goal
Below Goal

Surgery: 1/6/06

MelissaF
on 4/13/07 5:25 am - Northwood, IA
Hi there!  I was born and raised in Belton, MO just had to say hello.  Your experience doesn't surprise me.  I do the same thing Carly does... take the left overs home.  Sorry you had to go through that.  Hugs.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Amy B.
on 4/13/07 5:28 am - Deerfield, IL
There is no harm in asking - the Chinese Buffet (and consequently only Chinese restaurant in our town) charges me the children's price, but Old Country Buffet makes me pay the adult price (so I just don't go there - not that I benefit from buffets anymore anyway)  - but it is up to them in the end.  At other restaurants that aren't buffets I don't ever want the child stuff anyway since it is normally corn dogs and fries or equally unhealthy options - so I haven't even had to try with the card.  You can ask just like they can refuse your request.  They shouldn't have been rude about it, but that was their right as a private company. 

Amy 293/140 - AT GOAL!   

CeeDee73
on 4/13/07 5:43 am - CO
I don't have a card, and I don't ask the establishment for child prices, an extra plate so I can share, and/or any other benefits.  Like others have said, I just get an appetizer OR a regular meal and take home leftovers.  If I have the leftovers, I don't feel I'm being slighted by having to pay full price. Now, I don't agree with the restaurant personnel being rude.  There are diplomatic, sensitive ways of informing a person of their policies.  Sorry you were treated badly.  That was uncalled for.

Kindness is the language, which the deaf can hear, and the blind can see. ~MarkTwain                             

sallyj
on 4/13/07 5:56 am - Spokane, WA
I don't use my card at any restaurants--like most others said I either take the leftovers home and I generally don't want the children's options.  Buffets are much more difficult for companies to regulate and generally aren't as healthy anyway.  I was never fond of buffet food, so didn't use them much before surgery and now only go when I am eating with others who want a buffet.  This happens at work mostly as buffets can be faster and provide a lot of variety.  I just figure that they are making more on me and losing it on others! Sally
I Chick
on 4/13/07 6:00 am
In all my years postop, i've never used one nor ever felt the need for one. I'm one of those quirky postops who never felt the need for a discount for food. I order what I can eat, what's good for me, share a plate or take home a doggy bag and never once felt the inkling to order frm the childrens menu (it's all crap). Soup, Salad, even eggs (at places that serve breakfast around the clock). I make good choices and if there is leftover, either I eat it..my son eats it..my boyfriend eats it or my dogs get a good meal..either way it isn't wasted. It's a personal choice though to ask for one or a restaurant to honor one (of course they aren't required). I Chick
bikerdoll
on 4/13/07 6:00 am - Lees Summit, MO

When visiting a non-buffet type restaurant, I do order from the menu and take home the left overs.  However, this restaurant doesn't allow you to take uneaten food from the restaurant.  Since this was a Friday evening their buffet was expensive I didn't want to pay for what I couldn't eat or take home.  We were celebrating my granddaughters birthday and she choose the restaurant.  When she heard the hostess talk to me, she choose to leave the restaurant.   http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wDX2W42/"> http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wDX2W42/weight.png">>

Neal R.
on 4/13/07 6:23 am - Wylie, TX
Certainly no harm in asking. I have never done it. The only time I have ordered off the kids menu is if I am ordering take out. I did that the other day from on the border. They don't know if its really for kids or not. The buffet thing is touchy i know. The way I look at it is that they didn't charge me extra when I was huge and could eat way more than average. Sorry for your experience.

http://www.nealslapband.com/
Banded May, 9, 2006 by Dr. Cribbens. Abdominoplaty on 02/11/08
TT pics: http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=4974

Facebook: Neal Riggins (Wylie, Texas)
Twitter: @NealRiggins
nmdigiac
on 4/13/07 6:56 am - Mesa, AZ
Not really, in fact I have found many places have been more then flexible with my tricky pouch...

I love PF Changs; they cook everything fresh and will make what ever combo I want. I don't order child sizes but share with hubby or my son. I can't eat the leftovers usually but they are mmore then happy to help me.

Sorry you had this experiance, I am sure that my "smooth ride" will find a bump or two in the future.
Nichol

331/244/170
                                                   start / current / goal
                                     87 down - 74 to go

Most Active