Michael Moore On How To Lose Weight

Batwingsman
on 10/3/09 5:36 pm - Garland, TX
 I had wondered if he had WLS, but it looks like he is doing it the "old-fasioned" way, according to this interview  ...  More power to him, alhough I don't know how sensible his "3 rules" are for weight loss:  

You mention your weight -- I read you lost 70 lbs; how long did that take you?
Yeah, I lost about 70 lbs since last Christmas ... another 70 to go.

Do you have a goal for when you want to lose the other 70?
My birthday next year -- end of April.

What advice can you give to people who are looking to get healthy or lose weight?
You have to virtually eliminate these three things from your daily diet: salt (or sodium), white flour (or processed flour) and sugar (or corn syrup). If you can just get by without those three things and move around during the day a bit, you'll see a tremendous difference in how you feel and how much weight you can lose. Also, I've noticed overweight people have these three things in common: We all drink diet soda [laughs] but never lose any weight because it's so packed with sodium that it actually works against you, because it's breaking down the cellular structure by retaining fluid; number two, overweight people sleep less than seven hours a night, they never get a full night's sleep, which causes eating during the day to make up for it because you're tired, you need energy; and number three, we never eat.

You never eat?
Essentially; in other words, we put off eating because we're trying to not eat and then we get hungry by not eating [laughs].

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Jobsies
on 10/3/09 9:52 pm - Pitman, NJ
As always, he makes perfect sense --- although he probably didn't come out saying it right.

I firmly believe diet soda is a huge roadblock for weight loss. I think it's part of the "excuses" issue that we do. It causes cravings, does have a lot of sodium, and really, does the diet coke do anything to help when we are having a huge dinner and dessert?

Sleep, First if you are sleeping you can't snack. :).  More than once on a lazy weekend, i'll go take a nap to stay out of the kitchen, and it works.  Plus the body needs sleep to rejuvinate itself.

Finally, do you know how many people tell me that they never saw me eat?  I ate in my car, at home, at my desk surrounded by a huge cubicle so no one could see me.  When in 'public', I ate very little and healthy...but had been snacking on junk all day long.  Or, I would skip breakfast and then be starving later...

It will be interesting to see if people's reaction to him change any as his weight goes down. I have noticed that people are far nicer to me now (and no -- it's not the 'aura' or my attitude that has changed).  Especially strangers....I could count the times a door was dropped on me by the person in front of me, now I actually get the door held open...what a change.

14 pounds lost before surgery. My first ticker is when I hit onderland: this was my goal when I started on this journey.  I want to focus on that right now...once I get there I can reevaluate.

My second ticker is my dream goal. Even if I only visit there for a short time, it would be nice to see that number just once.  I am pretty sure I'll need plastics to hit this goal.

Mandyplus2 ..
on 10/4/09 12:30 am - GA
On October 4, 2009 at 4:52 AM Pacific Time, Jobsies wrote:
As always, he makes perfect sense --- although he probably didn't come out saying it right.

I firmly believe diet soda is a huge roadblock for weight loss. I think it's part of the "excuses" issue that we do. It causes cravings, does have a lot of sodium, and really, does the diet coke do anything to help when we are having a huge dinner and dessert?

Sleep, First if you are sleeping you can't snack. :).  More than once on a lazy weekend, i'll go take a nap to stay out of the kitchen, and it works.  Plus the body needs sleep to rejuvinate itself.

Finally, do you know how many people tell me that they never saw me eat?  I ate in my car, at home, at my desk surrounded by a huge cubicle so no one could see me.  When in 'public', I ate very little and healthy...but had been snacking on junk all day long.  Or, I would skip breakfast and then be starving later...

It will be interesting to see if people's reaction to him change any as his weight goes down. I have noticed that people are far nicer to me now (and no -- it's not the 'aura' or my attitude that has changed).  Especially strangers....I could count the times a door was dropped on me by the person in front of me, now I actually get the door held open...what a change.
I agree that it will be interesting to see how people change in relation to his change.

When I lost 85lbs doing it Michael's way, it was amazing how people reacted so differently to me. Suddenly pretty girls wanted to be my friend. Men were going out of their way to hold doors for me. People, in general, were just friendlier to me. Compare that to when I've been my highest weight and I've actually had someone tell me to smoke crack to lose weight. Seriously.
Batwingsman
on 10/4/09 5:19 am, edited 10/4/09 5:19 am - Garland, TX
  Well, the one disadvantage that Michael will have with his weight loss is that he is a well-known and visible celebrity, and was in his previous O condition in the public light for so many years ..      It is hard for someone in that postiion, unlike us everyday folk,  to run across people that have not seen them as they were before.    Although many people will undoubtedly be complimentary with his weight loss,  there will be some dolts out there that had a "problem" with his weight that will still hold it against him, even after his weight loss.         I've seen those type before ..

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

GayleTx
on 10/3/09 11:46 pm - northeast, TX
First time I've ever agreed with anything he said......altho he still didn't quite get it all right. 
SuziJones
on 10/4/09 6:03 am
Me too.

My PCM told me the exact three things that he mentioned to cut out of my diet. It worked!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
Mandyplus2 ..
on 10/4/09 12:26 am - GA
I totally agree with him and wish him success!
Melissa1965
on 10/4/09 12:56 am
I agree with him too!

But for me those are 3 hard things to kick at this point in my life and that's why I need medical intervention. lol. I love MM and hope he keeps on keeping.
Maria612
on 10/4/09 1:23 am
I definately see people treat me different because I am fat!  I think some people think its catchy....like if I wait on them they might get fat too.  I am in the 6 month diet part and am discouraged because I am eating low carb and high protien and have ionly lost 1.5 pounds this week.  I thought it would fly off me.  dream on.....I cannot wait until next year to get my RNY!  I am 46 years old, and no of too many discriminations because of my weight.  I AM NOT A SECOND CLASS CITIZEN, damnit!  I feel and hurt like anyone else.  I am a sweet girl, just FAT.  thanks for letting me get that off my chest.  Maria
PlantLover
on 10/4/09 2:13 am

I hear you on the different treatment! People assume anyone who is really fat is horribly unhealthy too. Well I have a bmi of 54 and my labs are 'perfect' according to my surgeon *g*  (Except my liver which is fatty). I have better cholesterol numbers than my always-naturally-thin sister. I got surgery to avoid the looming Type 2 diabetes, heart problems and 80 other things that runs in my family.

About the diet, it might take a while to 'kick in'. We did 10 days of an Atkins type diet. I kept my *total* carbs under 23  for all but one day, went right into ketosis, and lost...zero lbs. Yes, I did whine a lot!  I now think my body might've just needed longer to figure out what was going on. Or I wasn't eating enough fat/calories? I had been dieting -just low cal- since June also, which probably didn't help.  I bet you'll lose a good amount of weight on low carb, just keep trucking :)  Also, remember you're only supposed to lose 2lbs a week on a healthy diet. :)

hope that helps a bit,
Ivy
Lost 0lbs on the preop diet!

Most Active