Scary episode today...

MochaPJ
on 3/25/11 12:02 pm - CA
Something scary happened to me about an hour ago. I was just sitting on the couch and started feeling shaky, kind of like I was going to pass out, only I was seated. It started to get worse, so I went upstairs to lie down. Then I started sweating (and I've been cold all day). I had this intense craving for really strong Crystal Light, so I went downstairs, made lemonade, guzzled a half glass and then I was fine. What the heck happened to me?

I am 8 weeks post-op from RNY. Although I am not always good about eating real food, today I did have a small egg beater omelet with low fat cheese. Then later in the afternoon I had a chocolate protein shake with nonfat, lactose-free milk. It was probably about an hour after the shake that the symptoms started.

My symptoms are very consistent with low blood sugar, but I'm not sure why that would have happened based on my intake today.

Opinions??

phred
on 3/25/11 12:22 pm - CO
Reactive hypoglycemia?

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

M M
on 3/25/11 12:23 pm
 Low blood sugar.

Think about what you ate 45-60-90 minutes prior to that, it's the trigger.  Food can be tricky sometimes.

Next time, as soon as the symptom**** test your sugar with a glucose meter and if it's under 70 mg or falling fast, you need to TREAT IT.

Low blood sugar is nothing to play with.

Lady Lithia
on 3/25/11 4:15 pm
I'm getting this a LOT right now, now that my eating schedule is all messed up, and I'm just not DOING anything..... get real shaky. Keeping appropriate snacks close by to help me to avoid it, but it's starting to frustrate me.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Sharyn S.
on 3/25/11 12:27 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Welcome to the Post Gastric Bypass Reactive Hypoglycemia club.  We have our own tee shirt and hand shake.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Meredith I.
on 3/26/11 4:37 am - New Bern, NC
LOL!  I love it!! 

I must have missed our last meeting though, because I missed the handshake.
Meredith  Music Teacher in New Bern, NC (lost 48 lbs PRE-op!!)
http://bangertmusic.tripod.com/myweightlossjourney

MochaPJ
on 3/25/11 12:36 pm - CA
I added a Jello SF Mousse to my protein shake. Guess that could have been the culprit. Regardless, I will be purchasing a glucose meter tomorrow. I was not diabetic pre-op, so I've never owned one, but I will now!

My Facebook group peeps have been telling me I rely too heavily on protein shakes and don't eat enough solid protein. I'm a believer now.

@MM, I have read other things you have posted about low blood sugar,and I am taking it very seriously.

Thanks, everyone. You confirmed what I suspected.

M M
on 3/25/11 12:51 pm
 Go read the Jello - carby.

:)

You figured it out.
chickie_mama
on 3/25/11 12:57 pm
RNY on 08/18/09 with
did you drink your h2o today?  take your vits?  those could be the culprat.

deecee
MochaPJ
on 3/25/11 1:17 pm - CA
Jello SF Mousse ingredient #2 - Xylitol. 6 grams of sugar alcohols. Buh-bye Jello SF Mousse and Xylitol.

Still buying a glucose meter tomorrow. Not going to mess around with this.

Most Active