5 year anniversary

dwight777
on 4/1/11 3:04 am - ladera ranch, CA
This week I had my five year anniversary. It’s not all that long in the grand scheme of things, but it feels like a different life I lived long ago. The surgery changed me in so many ways that like many of us, I really had an identity crisis for a while. Everyone who knew me was so astonished at my transformation and I was getting so much positive feedback that I didn’t know how to deal with all the attention at the time. I also received a lot of negativity from people who were jealous and others who were just waiting for me to relapse. I reached beyond my goal weight in 7 months and did not even resemble my former self. The attention I received in those first two years, both negative and positive was more than I had experienced my entire life pre-surgery. After five years things change. Now the people in my life are used to my weight loss and my success has been all but forgotten. I am just the average Joe again and I will admit that I now miss some of the attention I got in the beginning. For the first few years I had no need to worry about my weight as hunger was so different for me both mentally and physically. Let me tell you, that changes. For some the hunger returns sooner than others, but it seems to always come back to haunt us. I had hoped to never have to go back on the dreaded “DIET" again, but for the last 2 years it’s been necessary.  I started at 315 lbs. and went down to 175 lbs. in seven months.  I looked like I was starving to death so I started lifting weights and soon I was up to 185-190 lbs. I was literally running like a mad man those first few years. Usually 8-10 miles a day five days a week plus lifting weights. I thought this was going to last forever. I could burn calories and fat like a furnace and I had to force myself to eat sometimes. Then my knee started hurting. For the past two years I have been just lifting weights and doing whatever cardio doesn’t hurt my Knee. I still run a few miles on the weekends, but I pay for it on Monday. I feel great and I am happy with the way I look, but I have gone up to 205 lbs. and I have been there for two years.    In the beginning whatever I ate was enough. I didn’t feel normal hunger for the first year and a half.  Now I am getting that feeling of not being full after I eat. I have to deal with getting hungry late at night again. The difference is I did use the last five years to train my body and mind. I feel well prepared to deal with my weight loss struggle and I plan to stay fit for a lifetime. I definitely think of myself as a success story. Five years later and I am healthy and strong. I am still wearing a size 34 pants and I have a pretty good physique to boot. I by no means want this to be a deterrent to anyone seeking help through weight loss surgery. If you need it, than do it. It has made my life so much better I wish I had done it sooner. Understand that surgery is a tool, but the human body is amazing and will heal and adapt. You can get fat again so be ready to change a lifetime of bad habits.  Good luck to all the new comers and continued success to you graduates. God Bless, Dwight
If you want to change your life than you have to change your life!

caseynick
on 4/1/11 4:28 am - Etters, PA
congrats !

HW 315 / SW 299 / CW 186.2 GW 140 - 155        
navymom13760
on 4/1/11 4:45 am - Endicott, NY
Congrats!

I am perfectly content being perfectly UN-perfect

Start Weight 292/Surgical Weight 266/Current Weight 150

justjudy
on 4/1/11 5:18 am - Canton, MI
Thanks for telling an honest, realistic story of what life after WLS is like, Dwight.  Sounds like you became a normal guy who has to watch what he eats and exercise in order to maintain a healthy weight-not too bad when what most of us hope for is just to be normal.

You look fantastic and it sounds like life is good for you.  What more can we expect?  Congratulations on a successful five years.

Judy

Bobbie D.
on 4/1/11 5:38 am
Wow, Dwight! Thanks for this post. It really is food for thought for many of us. I think alot more focus is put on transforming our bodies and not enough on changing how our minds work regarding food. That is harder in so many ways.

Congrats to you!!

spedcon
on 4/1/11 8:53 am
Happy Fifth Surgiversary Dwight!
So true! It does change and it will always be a battle for us. Thanks for helping us! Congratulations!!        Connie
heidinsd
on 4/1/11 12:04 pm - Poway, CA
Thank you so much for this post, Ive recently been struggling with snacking and I don't want to start down that road, thank you for opening my eyes to what is going to happen in the long run!! Congrats on your success

I love my tool!!!!
Catherine777
on 4/14/11 6:14 am
 Hi Honey,
I read your blog, you are such an inspiration.  You have inspired us as a family, the boys before your surgery were headed down a dangerous path and you changed that.  They look up to you!
Andrew wrote in English about how you were his hero, such an honor.  The exercise thing is astonishing because I struggle with this so much.  You are my hero!! I love you so much, everytime I see you I realize everyday where you were and how much you have accomplished, truly amazing!
I love you you are so so sexy.
Your wife,
Catherine
Most Active