Refreshing Change to See Overweight People in a Movie

I rented the movie Winter's Bone and I noticed there were several women/girls that were overweight. One of the key supporting actresses was probably close to 300 lbs.  The refreshing part is that there were no derogative remarks about their size.  These were just real women ... their characters did not center around their weight.  No fat jokes.  No stereotypes of eating huge amount of foods or laying abou****ching TV on their couch.    You would see them feeding the horses, helping their neighbors out, etc. 

Even though I liked the show Friends,  I really did hate all their nasty comments about fat people.  And god forbid, if they actually had someone greater than a size 4 on their show.  And when they did it was always Monica in a fat suit and they would make her ridiculously obsessed with food or breaking chairs, etc.

I remember reading an article on Kelly Osborne and she stated that she would take so much crap about being overweight, however, it was acceptable to everyone that she was a heavy drinker an drug user.  Why do people think it is okay to comment on someone's size?

While one side of me  really does not give a crap about what a stranger thinks of me, it is also nice to no longer go to stores etc and hear people snicker, not make eye contact, or look at me like I was a freak. I consider myself to be a friendly person, always look people in the eyes, smile at strangers, etc.  I just don't get it ... why are some people like that.  

I hope in our life-time that one day people will be blind to weight, age, religion, race, etc.  Personally I think it is great that we are all different and have different views. 

We'll that will end my babbling for now.  Waiting for it to get a tad lighter out and will take the doggie for a walk and play ball.  Have a great day everyone!

Nancy
"Learn from Yesterday.  Live for Today.  Hope for Tomorrow" - Albet Einstein

Dawnie 88
on 4/2/11 10:28 pm
So what did you think of the movie?  I just rented it last night, but haven'****ched it yet.  Planning on watching it later today.

I'm happy to hear they have overweight people in the film as well. :)

I actually thought it was a good movie.  A lot of good character actors. 

Nancy

Heather :o)
on 4/2/11 10:35 pm
Good to hear. The last socially acceptable prejudice is the one against overweight people. This will hopefully change as time goes on. While most of us here on OH are watching the scale go down, American's in general have rates of obesity that are climbing.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
spedcon
on 4/3/11 12:03 am
I liked the movie too. One of my favorite theings about no longer being morbidly obese, is being able to walk around in public and not hear the comments and snickers. I despised the stares and lack of eye contact. If I spoke to someone in line, I was ignored or given short, clipped comments back.

Now, it's different and I love/hate it. On one hand I love blending in...and then there's why is it so different now? I'm still friendly....it's about the weight. Sad but true.       Connie
I know what you mean Connie.  While I typically do make eye contact or smile at everyone, I really go out of my way to start up a conversation with someone that is really overweight.  While I am far from skinny, it is much different seeing the world through the eyes of the body of a 432 lb vs a 192 lb woman. 

I remember walking one day to get in exercise (high 300's?) and some teenaged boys shouted from their car some  rude comments about my size.  Don't remember what exactly they said.  However, it just made me more determined to walk around the block again.  I was actually hoping to see them again to give them a piece of my mind.  Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.  There are crazy people out there.    However, I usually will go right back at someone if they say something rude to me. 

I have had friends that refuse to wear shorts, go to the beach, etc. due to their size.  I say to heck with people.  If they don't want to see my big old leg of lamb thighs they better just turn around, however, they will NEVER stop me from enjoying stuff that I want to do. 

Nancy

Kathleen W.
on 4/3/11 9:44 am - Lancaster, PA
I'm glad to see a young lady  on Glee that has a weight problem.  And she does it with style and attitude.  She is happy where she is  and takes no nonsense from others.  And I'm glad to see Kirste Alley on DWTS. 

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Most Active