dating tips for post-op

volleyballgirl
on 4/30/11 11:02 pm - Germantown, MD
I am scheduled for surgery May 23rd (woot woot) and among the many things I have been thinking about is what dating will be like afterwards.  How do you make it work when someone wants to meet for dinner and you eat next to nothing?  Meet for drinks and you don't drink?  At what point do you explain you had a surgery and how did you do it?  Any other dating tips for a single surgery girl?
mittenfarm
on 4/30/11 11:25 pm - County Line, MI
I am an old married lady, so maybe not much help! The first year will be tough if you are dating during that time as eating can be difficult. But as you get further out, you will be able to eat enough to not appear "odd".  As to drinking, not everyone drinks alcohol, even non-WLS peeps, so you should never be afraid to tell someone you don't drink. You can still go out for drinks, just order a drink you CAN have.
-Wanda

Highest -380  Surgery- 345     Goal- 150   Current-150     5 ft. 8 in.

volleyballgirl
on 5/1/11 4:24 am - Germantown, MD
Thanks for the feedback.  It's hard to think about choosing to be a non-drinker since I have never been.  Ha!
dridlen
on 4/30/11 11:32 pm - gillette, WY
 I agree, just go out and have fun. I still have trouble when I go out however. Not everyone knows I am banded and if they do they have no clue how that restricts what you can eat. All they see if I order a meal and leave nine tenths of it. I get accused of wasting food all the time. Then I hear, well no wonder there is nothing to you......I just smile and say " Oh hell yea!" As far as not drinking, I agree, not everyone does so that should not be a problem. Sometimes if I don't want to appear conspicous I just order something very small or just an appetizer. It just depends on the situation. 
As far as when you tell your date. I have just been married a couple months so hubby and I were dating when I was banded also. I told him right away as I was having a tummy tuck about a month after we were really starting to date. So it all came out fairly quickly with him. 

Good luck.
Doxie
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
236 (highest)/228 (at surgery)/136.8(currently)

volleyballgirl
on 5/1/11 4:26 am - Germantown, MD
I kinds feel like I will be ordering a to go box when I order my meals. 
Kayla B.
on 4/30/11 11:53 pm - Austin, TX
For drinking, even at 3.5 years post op, sometimes I just don't FEEL like drinking, and I abstain.  "Just not in the mood for a drink right now" is a perfectly valid excuse.  Beyond that, there are a lot of medical reasons for not drinking that have nothing to do with WLS.  People on certain medications shouldn't drink, etc.

I'm not sure they'll notice the eating.  And if they do, I doubt they'll care.  They could just think you are nervous and don't want to eat.  However, when you are further post op, you really should be able to eat.  Personally, I can totally throw it down at a restaurant.

I'm single and it really hasn't been as big of a deal.  I don't tell EVERYONE...but when the moment seems right, I just tell 'em.  And usually it doesn't make a difference.  
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
volleyballgirl
on 5/1/11 4:27 am - Germantown, MD
When you tell them, how do you say it?
Kayla B.
on 5/1/11 12:47 pm - Austin, TX
"I used to be overweight/obese...."  And the rest just comes out.

I do not tell people this story in public though, I think that is rather awkward.  At least, not somewhere others can hear.  I usually tell them in private.  Granted, I've only told 2 people I was dating.  It's after getting to know them a little bit.  I'm not just going to tell someone random my whole life story, that is kind of overwhelming for them.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
volleyballgirl
on 5/2/11 10:47 am - Germantown, MD
Thanks for sharing.  I really appreciate it!
patrick M.
on 5/1/11 12:36 am - San Bernardino, CA
I had my first drink 6 months after surgery...I am now a out of control drunk...it's 7:30 am out here in California...I've on my 4th screwdriver...sometimes I think the surgery was nothing but a curse...I'm so f#cking miserable.
Most Active