Almond milk, tell me about it?

Sparklegigi
on 5/4/11 7:23 am - La Verne, CA
I dont know anything about almond milk.  I am lactose intolerant, but just drink a lactaid milk.  Is there more protein in almond milk?  More calories? Sugar?  Educate me please.

jenysez1
on 5/4/11 7:29 am - LA
I am curious to see the answers you get.  I was wondering about it myself. 

Jenny
tasha_the_dog
on 5/4/11 7:39 am - Thunder Bay, , Canada
I've just started drinking almond milk.  I've tried the original, chocolate and vanilla flavours.  All are quite good.  The "Silk" brand states it is lactose and dairy free. An excellent source of calcium.  NOT a source of protein.  1 cup of the original only has 60 calories.  The sweetener is  "all natural evaporated cane juice"  1 cup only has 7g of sugar.  that is less than 1tsp of sugar.
You should give it a try.  I drink it by the glass, on my cereal, in my coffee, in smoothies.

Referral to Thunder Bay Bariatric Centre July 2010 Orientation Class August 2010
Appointments with dietician, nurse practitioner and psychologist September/November 2010   Ultrasound November 2010
Scope June 10, 2011, meeting with surgeon Nov 29, 2011    surgery  VSG Jan 20/12
Surgeon: Dr. Gmora
HW 287

CW 169

Ladytazz
on 5/4/11 7:46 am
I use it in my shakes mainly.  I can't stand creamy shakes that are made with water.  Not a source of protein but low calorie.  I found a brand that is only 35 calories.  I get it unsweetened in either regular or vanilla.  To tell you the truth I have never tried it straight, only in shakes.  I think it is relatively high in fat, though.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Seht
on 5/4/11 8:02 am
I use it in my protein shakes and as my "creamer" in my coffee.
60 calories for a whole cup of it, so it goes a long way towards my daily coffee.
I really like it as part of my protein shake.

It is not as good IMO as 1/2 and 1/2 is in coffee, but since I'm trying to reduce some of the "extra" or hidden calories in things, I have made the switch, and It's a switch I can live with.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

michellemj
on 5/4/11 8:03 am
I prefer almond milk in my shakes. and the best tasting brand IMO is Almond Breeze. I buy the unsweeted and an 8oz serving has:
40 cal
3.5g fat
2g carb (1g fiber, 0g sugar)
1g protein

So, while it doesn't have protein, it has significantly less carbs than milk, which is the main reason I switched.

It is also: dairy, soy, lactose, cholesterol, peanut, casein, gluten, egg, saturated fat and MSG free.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

tammy12345
on 5/4/11 11:37 am

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 5/4/11 8:20 am - Belleville, IL
I use all 3 milks..

Real (skim) milk
Soy Milk (Silk)
Almond Milk

Almond milk has virtually NO protein...BUT, mix it with protein powder and you will get your protein allotment in. It is good for people who are truly lactose intolerant or want to up their "good" fat

Soy Milk... has almost as much protein as real milk, without any lactose. Tastes almost as good as real milk...Great for smoothies and other things (creamer, etc). But, some people can be sensitive to teh soy (Digestive problems...Gas, flatulence, diarrhea/constipation or cramps).

Real milk (Skim, 1% or 2%) best if you can drink it...Lactaid makes a brand that is great for lactose intolerant people (Makes a sour cream and cottage cheese as well) BUT, if you really cannot tolerate milk or are a vegan than the other two are viable options.

Warmly,
Jackie

Sparklegigi
on 5/4/11 8:26 am - La Verne, CA
Thank you all for taking time to give me the info, I learned a lot.  I have been using water for my shakes, maybe I will sub this instead.   I  would be adding cals to my shakes but with the warmer weather at hand, they would probably taste better!

patrickh
on 5/4/11 9:04 am - Dayton, OH
I prefer lactaid becuase it has more protein than the others.   Lactaid also makes a calcium enriched skim version that is OK.

My second choice is silk light - soy.  I like the aceptic boxes - keep them around as a backup, work well for traveling, etc.  

To keep calories down when making shakes I cut it 1/2 with water and it still made it creamy. 

Highest 406 / Surgery 391 / Lowest 196 / Current 219

Most Active